Newbie Question: smart playlist by year?

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here and this is my first post! I’ve just started using djay pro ai and I’m trying to create a smart playlist that groups tracks by year (e.g. music from the 60s, the 70s, etc.). I checked the metadata on my songs and they all have a “year” tag. However, I can’t find the “year” metadata in the smart playlist. It has “Released”, but none my tracks have that, they only have year. Suggestions?

Thank you,
Peter.

Versions: djay Pro AI (v3.6.7) on iPadOS 14.4.2.

1 Like

Hi @peterb,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for bringing this up. You are absolutely right that the “Year” tag is not currently an option when creating a Smart Playlist in djay’s My Library collection.

I’ve passed this feedback to our Development Team to look into further and to determine if this might be a simple fix. I’ll keep you posted here when I have any updates.

The current workaround for this would be to set rules for your Smart Playlist using the metadata tags that are currently included in djay, but I realize this may not be ideal given your desired grouping of tracks by year. Again, I’ll keep you updated here.

1 Like

Hi,

I was struggling with this too, thought I was being stupid!

Thanks

It’s not a surprise for those of us that have been pointing out that “Year” is missing in the columns and as field for smart playlists for some time now. As a workaround, I put the year (actually decade) in the Comments field of the song and then use Comments to create smart playlists. As a working DJ, the year is a very important field especially if you are in the groove and want to continue playing songs from the same era.