Now Playing info for Twitch?

Hello,

because Dj streaming is popular on Twitch too I would like to have a Playing Now overlay and would like to know If it is implemented now.

I will use my IPad, Reloop Buddy for djing another Smartphone for camera and my Macbook with OBS for streaming to Twitch. Now I need a workaround how to get the current playing song-info to OBS (maybe txt source?).
With Djay Pro on Mac I read that there is a nowplaying.txt file which can be integrate into OBS.

But how can I get this info from IPad??

I could use IPad with Djay AI as Controller and sync it via Ableton Link to a MacBook with Djay Pro and use the nowplaying.txt there but so I need to buy another Djay Version and need a second Computer for streaming (I think DJ Software + OBS on same Computer is critical).

Or do you plan a „now playing feature“ in near future where a file can be uploaded automagically to maybe iCloud or google drive as txt file?

Thanks

4 Likes

Thank you for pushing the topic. This makes a lot of sense especially in your pointed out streaming setup. I forwarded the thread internally and we will let you know when there are news.

Also please note that I added the thread to the Suggestion category, that way other users can upvote and push the topic.

At the moment it is possible to get the title, artist, album and song duration through a workaround to OBS.

1. Add a Text Source in OBS
  2. Click the Text Source to open its settings
  3. Tick Read from File
  4. Hit the Browse Text File Button
  5. In the open dialog window use the keyboard combination “shift + cmd + g”
  6. In the go to folder window paste the following path:
    ~/Music/djay/djay Media Library.djayMediaLibrary/NowPlaying.txt
  7. Select the NowPlaying.txt file

Now OBS gets the information of the currently playing active deck (make sure the crossfader is moved to the deck you want to have the information from).

Please note that the NowPlaying file is not adjustable and will show the 4 elements. You could try to parse the information or adjust it directly in OBS.

This sounds interesting. I regularly stream via OBS so I’ll try this method. Thanks
*would be great to have an inbuilt Djay solution to this also - with a more stylish display of the text.

1 Like

Playing now info could be implemented on djay video out too, showing up in the visualizer and video modes.
Should be an easy upgrade to please the audience with song info acquaintance during the set.

3 Likes

Any way to make this work on the iPad version of the app? Like saving the txt to a file sharing service like Dropbox or something like that? I prefer to use the iPad version of the app on my13” iPad Pro but would love to get the current playing song info into OBS for live streaming. Another solution would be some sort of Wi-Fi or Bluetooth transfer into OBS.

Hi I’m the developer of Now Playing.

I know this might be a little late for a reply now but I built an app which does what you’re looking to do. It can display and animate your currently playing song in OBS. It works with Djay Pro AI (mac) version (not the Windows version).

Now Playing comes in a free and pro version. The free version does everything you’re looking for – it will display the song and album art on your live streams. And it will never expire so you can use it forever. The pro version adds a Twitch bot and the ability to customize the look.

You can check it out at www.nowplaying2.com

1 Like

Hey @Triode - I think I met you at the last Nightclub and Bar Show / Restaurant and Bar show.

Does NowPlaying2 Also work with the iOS DJayPro AI version? You specifically said “Mac”, but as I have an iPad…?

Thanks,
Erik

Was this ever addressed? With the new 5.0 version and windows editions, I am considering the software again, but this extremely basic feature DEF needs to be there…

Just tested on windows, didn’t work. Definitely needed on windows on version too.

Likewise, nowplaying.txt isn’t created with the windows version. bump :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :pray:

There is an app called TUNA that creates name.txt and artist.txt from a tracks metadata that OBS can pick up. I use it all the time.

Can name.txt and artist.txt be picked up by DJay Pro 5?