Option to use straight BPM by default (Fluid Beatgrid)

Thanks for the additional info and screenshot @Qun. I’ve passed this onto the devs for review.

I second the issue with DNB. When triple dropping tunes for mix in and out around double drops - or just plain double dropping at times- the dynamic beatgrids can make things go haywire. Especially if you’ve got really interesting tunes, not just ones which follow a “standard” format. Crops up more often mixing things like classic V I think.
I mean yes you CAN manually turn off when you load each track but bloody hell thats clunky when mixing fast and loose with genres like DNB and multiple tracks in play.
My husband is also a great proponent of the synch button and he suffers the issue more than me. Pushing us to go back to traktor at the moment

1 Like

If it works for you, fine. I get it.

But for me, I play mostly drum & bass, and this thing is a joke.

Here are a few examples where the BPM goes completely bonkers in the intros:

Phace - Vitreous
Optiv & BTK - Telepathy
Alix Perez - Stray (Icicle Remix)

I don’t care about beatgrids, I just want to have reliable BPM detection so my beat-based FX don’t go crazy when I’m intro/outro from a mix.

I’ve been using Djay since v1, love it. But since this feature launched, I can’t trust it anymore. I’ve been patiently waiting for it to mature, but nothing so far.

As a seasoned product manager for apps and platforms, the hubris of launching such a disruptive feature without providing an opt out setting is so amateur it’s flabbergasting.

Unfortunately my yearly subscription is already far ahead and I can’t ask for a refund, but I bought my current hardware based on the fact it was Djay compatible. So I’m stuck.

On the Edit BPM section of each track, you already provide options for Dynamic and Straight. Please allow me to set Straight as the default.

If there’s such option already in the Settings, my apologies but I can’t find it.

2 Likes

What have you got the BPM detection range set to?

No BPM detection system is perfect. The ‘straight’ option (as used by most other software) is not perfect either. It’s likely with either system that some intervention will be required.

The response to Fluid Beatgrids has been mainly positive. Users of other software are eagerly awaiting a similar system. It’s no joke.

Thanks for providing examples of tracks where the analysis is incorrect. This will allow further investigation.

1 Like

I’m not complaining about the BPM detection itself.

The overall BPM detection is fine as it always has been. These tracks are around 174 as expected.

The issue is that during their intros they are all over the place, ranging from 110-120 until they get closer to the drop. After that, it stays correct all the time.

These are EDM, fixed BPM, straight to digital files. Theres absolutely no variance.

The thing is, you can turn it off, but you have to do it on every single track.

3 Likes

Oh OK. Others have also asked for an option to have ‘straight’ as default, so maybe it will happen.

Should have said “stable” instead of “reliable”

I get the feature is great for playing non-EDM or vinyl rips, but at this stage it can’t be the default method.

Hi @dwardo, please use search before creating new topics. I have merged your new topic with this existing one. The dev team is aware of user demand for this feature and we should have some news to share soon. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah I am also really unhappy with this dynamic BPM Analysis, take for example the track “Drumspyder - Strands of the Web”, it’s a halftime/dub track.

In the beginning it falsely recognizes the beat as 120bpm and then suddenly drops to 81 with a strange glitch, it sounded like 200 bpm for a moment.

I played this as my 2nd track yesterday in front of 100 people and it was really confusing for them and I thought “what the hell is going on?”

I would say 99% of my tracks have a straight BPM because most producers produce in a fixed bpm. This dynamic thing maybe only makes sense for songs that were not recorded electronically, but for most electronic music it creates more chaos than good.

I really hope you will release this option to set straight as default.

I wish we could see which songs are currently analyzed with dynamic in the library section and we can switch all of them in bulk to straight, at least having an overview what algorithm is used would be nice. I have 2000 songs in my library and it’s kinda annoying if I had to open each song and manually change the algorithm :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks, @Slak_Jaw — I always search before posting. This topic wasn’t coming up in my suggestion because I was searching for “Fluid BPM”, which is the feature’s name.

Now that the topic is merged, it appears in 4th, but I would suggest adding the name of the feature the topic to emphasize this is about it.

No it’s not. The correct (trademarked) name is Fluid Beatgrid.

Yes, even worse if you search for that, because on this topic says straight BPM. That’s my point.

Fluid Beatgrid added to the topic title. Thanks for the suggestion @dwardo

As a DJ you still have to check your tracks after any DJ program analyze it and if you had just simple check the BPM edit you would have seen the option that gave you the correct BPM if you change the beat grid to straight BPM and by the way the BPM of Drumspyder - Strands of the Web is 162

This option is now available in 5.2.4.

Navigate to the djay Settings>Library>BPM ANALYSIS>Tempo Change Detection and set it to Off (Straight Only)

3 Likes

This is why Algoriddim and DJay simply are the best on the market! Thank you @Slak_Jaw and the dev team. I look forward to using Fluid Beatgrid when mixing rock/funk tracks!

1 Like

Thanks for the positive feedback @gravitybass. It’s always appreciated!

1 Like

@Slak_Jaw
I don’t quite understand what it’s supposed to do. If I set the setting to “Off straight only”, the software still changes some songs. For example, it changes tracks that have 42 bpm to 150 bpm. Why is that? It shouldn’t calculate/analyze anything independently anymore, should it?
I mean, well, they are difficult songs of course. It is Persian music, but nevertheless, the logic should be, don’t change anything on your own, right?

Hi @DJKamyR, with Tempo Change Detection set to Off (Straight Only), djay will attempt to apply a constant tempo/straight beatgrid to the song. If the song has a varying tempo, then djay will calculate what it thinks is the most suitable BPM for the song and apply a straight grid. If the song has a varying tempo and djay doesn’t calculate the BPM that you think is appropriate, then you can simply edit the value and enter what you think it should be. You can then also adjust the beatgrid as needed.

Please note that if you have this setting set to Off and have songs with varying tempos, the beatgrid will not be dynamic and will not be automatically adjusted to fit the waveform downbeats. IMO if you have songs with varying tempos and you want to use Sync or BPM synced FX, then you should set this to Automatic so that the beatgrid will properly fit the waveform downbeats.

Hi @Slak_Jaw Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will keep it automatic.
Thanks

I would also like to say a big compliment to your team; you have once again included some cool features. All that is missing is the display on the FlX10 and all the other competitors can pack up.

THANK YOU ALGORIDDIM FOR LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!

1 Like