You know that pestilent error message when you download new music, try to load it in DJAY, and it suddenly won’t work in DJAY even when the rest of your music has been imported and downloaded the exact same way the new music that won’t play was?
You will have to convert the file(s) to an mp3…again, even if it already is an mp3, and then re-import it into your file/folder/source where you add music into DJAY from. This is laborious and annoying but it works. On iPad there are a bunch of free apps that will convert audio into MP3. This worked, I didn’t have to re-install or update anything. I did have a ton of duplicate files but deleted the originals.
Honestly this bug makes no sense and it’s the first time in a year of using DJAY that I have ever had this issue. I have DJAY for iPad PRO.
I have an issue with adding downloaded tracks to Djay.
Few tracks dowloaded couple weeks ago works fine, but with tracks i download now
pops this error out.
I tried downloading files from different sites, reinstaling the app and all the files.
I tried different IOS device and there is the same problem. All the files are Mp3. How can i fix this?
This error has been reported to us lately when loading mp3 files. After inspecting several files, we found that in all cases the files’ encoding was corrupt in some way. We encourage users having this problem to re-encode their songs using a tool like suggested above. Another easy way of re-encoding a song would be through iTunes (File > Convert > Create AAC Version). Please note this is not a bug in djay.
It would be great if you guys could write down here where exactly you got these songs from so we can find a pattern and maybe a solution.
I mean if you wanna keep using djay, which I do because I’m so used to it just convert the mp3 to mp3 directly on the device. It’s extra work but djay will accept the file after it’s converted. Even if it’s already in mp3 format.