Pioneer DDJ-FLX4 Connection Issue - iOS

what usb cable will work? How do you differentiate which one will work? I’ve tried 4 different usb cables and djay pro ios iphone doesn’t doesn’t see the controller. I’m using iphone w ddj-flex4 with current firmware1.04

1. connect apple camera adapter to iphone
    2.connect power to the mac adapter
    3.connect usb to camera adapter and to ddj-flex4
    4.turn on Djay pro - all ddj-flex4 buttons buttons and pads light up for around 3 seconds
  2. play a song and djay pro plays out of iphone speakers and moving anything on ddj-flex4 does nothing

Thanks.

Hi @Donn, I’ve created a new topic for this as the other thread was for a Hercules controller and macOS. First of all, please provide the following full details for your setup:

• Device model (e.g. 2020 iPad Air 4th Gen):
  • Version of operating system (e.g. macOS 14.4.1):
  • Version of djay (e.g. 5.1.2):
  • Hardware/controllers used (e.g. Reloop Mixon 8 Pro):
  1. For USB cables, I recommend you either use the original Apple cables that came with your iPhone, the original Pioneer cables that came with the FLX4 or high quality USB cables like the Chroma Cables from DJ TechTools.
  2. Make sure you connect the USB cable from your iPhone to the USB-C socket on the back of the FLX4 market with the Computer/Tablet icons. The other socket is for power.
  3. Connect another USB-C cable to the Power USB-C socket on the back of the FLX4 to a power supply or power bank battery. The FLX4 likely draws too much power to run off your iPhone battery alone.
  4. Please share screenshots of your djay Settings>Audio Devices page and Settings>MIDI Devices page.

Thanks!

1 Like

My 2 cents

The FLX4 needs a power supply that can run a laptop. Look for chargers & cables that support:

• at least 3 amps
  • 30-100 watts of power delivery (PD)
  • 65-100 watt chargers are more expensive but will charge the phone/tablet faster
  • make sure the cable matches or exceeds specs of the charger

Notes:
Typical phone/tablet chargers & cables won’t work with the FLX4, because they are designed to only supply 0.5-2.4 amps.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional recommendations @Michael_Wisniewski. On point as usual!

2 Likes

Thanks Slak_Jaw and Michael_Wisniewski ! here are the spec:

-iphone 12
-ios version 17.4.1
-djay pro 5.1
-ddj-flex4

1. I don’t think it’s the USB cable, it works with my ipad connected to the ddj-flex4 via camera adapter so it should work with iphone?

2. “connect the USB cable from your iPhone to the USB-C socket on the back of the FLX4 market with the Computer/Tablet icons”
    do you mean connect the apple lightning to usb 3 camera adapter to iphone, then usb cable into
    camera adapter on one end and the other to the ddj-flex4 (which is what i did as described in the Algoriddim video), or omit the camera adapter and go directly from iphone to flex4?

3. I will try the way you described “USB-C cable to the Power USB-C socket on the back of the FLX4 to a power supply or power bank battery”. The way I did it as mentioned above and following the Algoriddim and other tutorial videos plugs the power to the power socket of the camera adapter.

The way the flex4 is set up and how you described the connections, you don’t need the camera adapter?

I can’t take a pic of my set up now but here’s a scrrenshot exactly the way I connected the cables, the only difference is usb c is going into the flex4 socket with the computer/tablet icon instead of this mixer.

If you have an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable, I would connect it directly between your iPhone and the FLX4 and eliminate the camera adapter. However, make sure you also have power connected to the FLX4 like Michael has suggested above. In this configuration, your iPhone should receive power and charge from the FLX4.

It’s working now. Omitted the camera adpater and used a lighting to usb-c cable to connect the iphone directly to the usb-c of the flex4, and powered the flex4 with the usb-c charger.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Perfect! You’re welcome. Thanks for the follow up.

1 Like