pre-cue to bluetooth headphones

Hi,
This question has been raised in various guises some years ago (2012-2016), but remains an obvious shortcoming.
All DJ’s will want to have pre-cuing output to headphones, but rather than using a splitter, use BlueTooth for the headphones, while main output via standard audio out.
Can this be done or is it a limitation of iOS, if so is there a workaround?
thanks

Bluetooth typically has high latency, so it’s not practical for DJ use. This was the case 12 years ago and still today.

1 Like

BT latency is completely irrelevant for pre-cueing, eg. listening to other tracks while the current one is playing through main audio out. It’s down to iOS whether audio system allows this or not.

1 Like

I disagree. Most DJs would require the audio in their headphones to be in sync with the audio from the master output, not lagging behind it. Unless you don’t care about the ability to keep tracks in time with each other.

I think we must be talking cross purposes. When DJing, I want to find / listen to the next track, I have no interest in or requirement to ‘sync’ with or any other concern with what is playing via master output. I simply want to listen to a number of track clips while the master plays.

1 Like

@alex_cumbers
For your case use, just preparing the next track, Bluetooth would be acceptable regardless of the latency issue.

If you’re beat matching (syncing) the tracks, like @PKtheDJ and a lot of us do, the headphone cue has to be in exact time of the main speaker system, so we can monitor the sync of the musical beats. Bluetooth would be useless to us.

They could put the option there for those who wanted to use it, and are aware of the limitations, but you’re in the hands of the devs…

S

:+1:t2:

1 Like

You are possibly <5% of general population, if this is how you use headphone cue (yes, that’s the original name, headphone cue, not pre-listen)

How do you arrive at <5%?
I’m assuming that 100% of DJs want to pre-listen to one or more tracks ready to queue.
I thought djay had an auto beat match feature - perhaps you could briefly explain the DJ sync process which does not work with BT latency?

1 Like

Actually, if you want to get into terminology, I believe that the original term is “Pre Fade Listen” or “PFL”. Many mixers still label the buttons like this.

PFL allows you to listen to a channel before pushing up the fader. You typically use the PFL feature to cue the next track. But, you can also use it to refresh your memory about different tracks in your crate. Back in the day the crate was a box of vinyl, but today it is more likely a phone running Djay :slight_smile:

I agree with OP that pre-listening even with latency can be useful. Using the wave forms and all the fancy beatgridding and sync features, Djay allows us to perfectly transition to the next track even on a set of Bluetooth speakers at a house party.

Yes PFL is the original term.

The problem is that the audio you hear will not be aligned with the actions you perform, whether using a controller or just your mouse or a touch screen. It will also not be aligned with the visuals on screen i.e. track waveforms, cue point markers etc.

1 Like

@Slak_Jaw Any comments on this thread? thanks

Hi @alex_cumbers, this is a restriction by iOS. Personally, with the way I DJ, I’d prefer to use a splitter cable to avoid the Bluetooth latency.

1 Like

Agreed — doing any form of manual beat matching, dropping, scratching is naturally not possible with latency.

But pre-viewing a bunch of tracks to select the next one and cueing it up can easily be done with latency. The Djay magic wand cross fader can then do the transition in time. Perfect for a bedroom set or house party for a few friends with only a phone or laptop.

@Slak_Jaw thanks. What about pre-listening via headphone jack output with main output via sound card (via lightning port on iOS devices)? Or perhaps again iOS limitation, as apart from djay application, you would not utilise two different sound outputs.

You’re welcome @alex_cumbers. Again this is an iOS limitation.

But despite limitations, this trick is still available, right?:point_down: