Purchased music vs Apple Music tracks

Hi all,

Not sure why but the file types for music I have in apple has changed/update in my DJay app. My purchased music (which I have for recording mixes with) has now got the Apple Music icon next to it so I now can’t use them tracks? It has affected nearly my whole purchased library.

Any suggestions welcome please on how to update their file types

Ry

1 Like

I’m not sure if it is too late but the workaround was to have Apple Music under a different Apple ID than what your iTunes/Local music is.
Tis way there is no crossing of tracks into the different sources, Apple Music had it’s tracks, your Local music has it’s tracks and they are independent from one another.

This is the way it works for me taken from advice from other people on the forum

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply buddy. Wish I had taken those steps before moving onto the app. Real strange how it’s only just happened tho as before anything purchased was coming through seemingly ok and could be used for recordings. Now literally my whole library I can only play with but not record anymore. I’m guessing a recent app version update has caused this perhaps?

Yes quite possibly,
What Apple Music does is go through your your Local Music library and delete any duplicates and replace them with the Apple Music version, this sucks in two ways as if you have special remixes or edits of a particular track, Apple Music will just replace it with their version which in turn doesn’t allow for use of Stems as well.

I was lucky in the sense that when Djay had integrated Apple Music into their platform, I was still using Tidal and not long after that, many people on the forum were complaining about the exact same issue you are facing until someone came up with a work around,
I have since gotten rid of Tidal as it became too expensive for what I use it for (I use 95% of my own music) and swapped over to Apple Music for the odd requests that I may be asked to play.

1 Like

“the workaround was to have Apple Music under a different Apple ID than what your iTunes/Local music is.”
thank you for that :+1:

Hi @Nedondo11, can you please share some screenshots of this issue from within djay?

1. Please note that the Apple Music Streaming icon is a double musical note and the Local Music icon is a single musical note. These do look very similar. The Local Music source is where your downloaded songs are located.
  2. When you enable Apple Music Streaming, your Local Music files will show up in both the Local Music Source and the Apple Music Streaming source. However, from within the Apple Music Streaming source, your songs are being streamed and are not the downloaded local files that are stored on your device. If you want to play the downloaded files, simply switch to the Local Music source instead.
2 Likes

Hi @Nedondo11, I’m just following up on my message above from a week ago.

Hello! It’s been more than 7 days since my last reply. I’m going to consider this topic completed for now so I can focus on others. However, please feel free to respond and we can definitely revisit this. Thanks!

Sorry for delay in replying. I’ve got the same login/profile for Apple Music and iTunes which as some of the guys have suggested here already is the likely issue as it appears Apple has replaced any purchased tracks with the streaming version equivalent. In the screenshots attached is the layout on my app and you’ll see in the playlist pic that tracks which I know are purchased have now become their streaming equivalent.

Thanks for the additional info and screenshot. I’ve passed this onto engineering.

Hi @Nedondo11,

1. Please log out of Apple Music streaming, restart djay and check to see if it starts using the Local Music versions.
  2. Then re-login into Apple Music streaming and restart djay and see if starts using the Apple Music streaming tracks.
  3. If so, then it might be that these tracks have their preferred source as Apple Music streaming, rather than Local Music.
  4. The way to fix this at the moment is to re-add the tracks from Local Music into the My Collection Music playlist. This will update the preferred source to be Local Music. Thanks!
2 Likes