Reloop Buddy not connecting

Hi,
I’m using djay Pro and bought me a Reloop Buddy to us it with my iPad Pro (2021). Unfortunately, iPad and djay are not working together. Both are connected via USB-C AV Multiport Adapter as suggested. On start up, all controls of Buddy are blinking but then only the Mode button glows blue and djay is obviously not connected.
I have also tried it with djay on iPhone 13 Pro and MacBook Pro (2018) with the same results, though there is one difference with MacBook: when connected, Cue and Play buttons are blinking.
Yes, I have switched between PC and iOS mode on the Buddy. I have also checked the settings in djay on iPad and MacBook and it shows Buddy as an option for output but still nothing happens.
Any ideas what to do (before I return the Buddy)?
Sven

1 Like

Once connected to the iPad have you tried accessing the settings menu on djay, then going to ‘midi devices’ if so, are you able to select your controller?

Hi @no1dmfan,

Thanks for posting this question in our Community.

@Private_Repress had a good idea, check if the Buddy is showing up for you under the MIDI Device djay settings. You can also use a third-party app like MIDI Scope to analyze incoming MIDI signals.
Download “Midi Scope” from the App Store. Then please follow these steps:

1. Connect your controller to your iOS device and run the Midi Scope app.
  2. On the Source tab of the Midi Scope app, make sure the controller is selected.
  3. Navigate to the “Scope” tab by pressing “Scope” on the bottom of the screen, and tap “Connect” on the upper left corner of the screen to connect the controller.
  4. When you move knobs/fader/buttons on the controller, you should see the app showing signals.

On Mac the steps are similar, MIDI-Monitor, follow these steps:

1. Go to this website: https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
  2. Click on Download: MIDI-Monitor.
  3. Click on the Download link next to MIDI-Monitor to download the installer.
  4. Install the application.
  5. Connect your controller to your Mac and make sure it is turned on.
  6. Go to Options and select MIDI Devices. In the pop-up window, you should see your controller in the MIDI Outputs panel.
  7. Select it and click on OK.
  8. Back on the main window every press/turn of a control on your MIDI device should be displayed as an incoming MIDI signal.

Let us know if you don’t receive any MIDI signals at all.

Hope to hear from you again.

Cheers, G

Thank you both for your great replies! I will try it as soon as I get home tomorrow night (traveling right now) and will give you feedback!!
Sven

1 Like

Hi @Private_Repress and @Guillermo,
I have checked the settings and Buddy is showing up as a MIDI device. I have also checked the MIDI signals with Midi Scope. The app shows Buddy but when connected on the Scope tab it shows no signals at all.
I guess this is not a good sign …
Sven

Hi @no1dmfan,

Thanks for running this test.

It’s interesting that the MIDI device is recognized but no MIDI signals appear in MIDI Scope.

Could you please reach out to Reloop Support directly and let us know what they tell you?
You can do so here: Support Ticket Request - Reloop

Hope I could help.

Cheers, G

1 Like

Hi @no1dmfan,

Could you please tell us what version of iOS you’re currently running? We’ve tested this and haven’t been able to reproduce this yet.

Hope to hear from you again.

Cheers, G

Hi @Guillermo,

iPad is running iPadOS 15, iPhone 13 Pro Max has iOS 15.0.1 and MacBook on MacOS 11.6.
I’m in touch with Reloop support and they think the device might be defect.
Sven

1 Like

Hi @Guillermo,
I have exchanged the device with a new one and now everything works as expected!
Thanks a lot for your help!
Sven

1 Like