Reloop Mixon 8 - Ultimate STEMS Mapping

@Slak_Jaw Thanks so much for the mapping and well documented screenshots! I just unpacked my Mixon8 last night (after lusting over it for the year since the announcement) and was utterly confused by the delivered FX mappings. Aside from the KORG KAOS DJ (which I use mainly for effects), this is my first controller so assumed I was doing something wrong!

I use wet/dry a lot so will probably tweak this mapping and share back if I can improve it. I’m surprised the paddles don’t carry some sort of wet/dry velocity. The subtle resistance suggests they’d be great for this type of function.

Aside from this board and Reddit, do you (or anyone on the thread) have ideas for a good community to tap into and trade ideas about this new controller?

3 Likes

Hi @Slak_Jaw I tested it out on a Mac and works great. On the iPad though I’m having a issue with the FX Knobs 1-3 …for some estrange reason they are assigned to Deck 3 and 4 and I fixed them but after a while they go back to Decks 3 and 4 …this also happens if I edit the “built-in” version. Has this happened to you before?

1 Like

@SFOT0K you’re welcome! Good luck with your mapping. I’m interested to hear how you approach it. Yeah, the FX paddles are not MIDI Mappable at all. They don’t show up within the djay MIDI Learn menu. Disappointing for sure.

@ed-dj glad to hear it works on Mac. I haven’t had any issues with the FX assignments reverting back to Deck 3-4 after fixing them. Seems like there could be a bit of a bug in the firmware. I suggest making a copy of the mapping then deleting the assignments for the FX on all 4 decks and rebuilding that part of the mapping from scratch to see if that helps.

1 Like

Ok, good idea, thanks! I’ll try that and report back… I also think that the bug happens when I switch from one mapping to other. I have like 4 different ones to test which one feels better for me. I’ll try a few things and let you guys all know here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve also created another version of this mapping with different Performance Pad assignments if anyone is interested. I wasn’t really a fan of the default implementation.

1. Hot Cue remains unchanged
  2. Pitch Play remains unchanged
  3. I replaced Loop Roll with Saved Loops
  4. Saved Flip with Bounce Loops
  5. Saved Loop with Instant FX
  6. Slicer with Sampler
  7. Sampler with Looper tracks 1 & 2
  8. Scratch Bank with Looper tracks 3 & 4

1 Like

They bragged About Stems control on the Mixon 8. You should have to go thru all this they should’ve tested it thoroughly. If you watch the Namm video the guy from Reloop said that was the reason for the release delay they were making sure everything worked. Ha Ha!!!

I believe the delays were mainly related to making it work properly with Serato STEMs. I’m thinking the firmware adjustments made for Serato may have introduced some unanticipated bugs for djay. I could be wrong though. Either way, I’m pretty used to creating my own custom MIDI mappings to suit my workflow and style of DJing.

1 Like

I seem to have run into the exact challenge you described on the paddles Slak_Jaw. I wonder if a potential enhancement would be on the Algoriddim software or Reloop firmware side? I suspect Algoriddim since the paddle is clearly sending some sort of signal.

I’m using Reloop with an iPad pro and USB C. On occasion, my Mixon8 fader seems to swap directions?!? I’m curious if either of you experienced this?

I think the paddles would need to be addressed on the firmware side since they don’t show up in MIDI learn. However, it’s possible that Algoriddim is blocking this on the software side. Probably accessible through the XML file, but I don’t have enough experience there to poke around and figure it out.

As for your faders swapping direction, I haven’t experienced this. I have, however, noticed that djay sometimes seems to revert back to the default MIDI mapping or lose the mapping all together and I need to reload it mid-set. I haven’t figured out what causes this yet so I haven’t bothered posting about it.

This happens to me too. I have yet to determine when or what causes it. In the Mac version has not happened.

1 Like

HEADS UP: the mappings above will not work properly with the new 49.36 firmware update from Reloop.

3 Likes

So… ATM are FXs filters only working via GUI on iPad/Computer?

@XEFER I’m not sure what you mean by FX Filters. Are you talking about Pad FX on the iOS touch screen?

2 Likes

Yep that’s what I meant. Is that only way to use FX since the FX knobs can’t be mapped yet?

@XEFER only the FX paddles on the Mixon 8 are not MIDI mappable. These are essentially “hardwired” to turn the FX On/Off and they work as expected. The rest of the FX section buttons and knobs are MIDI mappable.

Also you can MIDI map one of the performance pad sections on the Mixon 8 to Instant FX if you want.

In addition to that, if you would like to have Pad/FX Filters (as you say) on the Mixon 8 hardware, you could also MIDI map this. Basically you need to use the Duplicate feature in MIDI Learn to map the FX Parameter to your Filter knobs. Then when you want to apply FX and Filter at the same time you just need to turn the FX On with the paddles then turn the Filter knob.

Thanks for consistently helping me. You’re a legend.

Unable to get the FX1 button to toggle the FX for deck 1 with factory settings. Would you happen to know off hand what I should change these to?

1 Like

Knobs appear to be read, but the on/off button doesn’t appear to be working with the above mapping settings

1 Like

@XEFER yeah, actually I forgot to mention, that the way the FX Knobs and the Buttons below them work is a bit unusual. It appears the Knob and Button share the same MIDI CC assignment. I believe this was done to ensure proper function in combination with the FX Paddles.

Using Deck 1, FX1 as an example, this is what ended up working for me:

1. Duplicate the FX1 Knob (CC 0) MIDI command by sliding left on it and selecting Duplicate.
  2. Select the new CC 0 item directly below the original.
  3. Expand the Advanced Control Configuration and change the Type from Fader / Knob to Button.
  4. Set the Target to Deck 1 and the Action to FX 1 Enable.
  5. Repeat this process for FX 2 and FX3 on all for Decks.

Note that I changed the default FX Wet/Dry Knob assignment to Neural Mix EQ’s as I think this works better. Since I normally keep W/D set to 100% I put that on the Shift layer. Also note that I remapped the encoder to control the FX Parameter for all 3 FX. For me this works really well.

UPDATE: Revised STEMS Mapping for Firmware 49.36

I fixed my mapping to work with the new firmware. Please note, however, that I have also changed the default Performance Pad assignment. I will not be making a version of this mapping with the default pad assignments, so if those are important to you, this mapping is NOT for you.

Reloop Mixon 8 Pro SJ3.djayMidiMapping (311.2 KB)

Here are the new pad assignments:

1. Hot Cue remains unchanged
  2. Pitch Play remains unchanged
  3. I replaced Loop Roll with Saved Loops
  4. Saved Flip with Bounce Loops
  5. Saved Loop with Instant FX
  6. Slicer with Sampler
  7. Sampler with Looper tracks 1 & 2
  8. Scratch Bank with Looper tracks 3 & 4