Report a problem that I’ve just found after updated to iOS17

Are you plugging the headphones directly into the docking station or into the Yamaha mixer? I notice the mixer has a monitor out and a headset out. I wonder if these could in any way make a difference?

The Yamaha claims to be class compliant and usable for ios devices so should be mappable.

Is the docking station the problem? Would connecting the Yamaha mixer using an “Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit/ Lightning to USB Camera Adapter” as recommended by Yamaha solve the problem maybe?

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music_production/interfaces/ag_series/ag06.html

Well yes, directly. AG06 can only be recognized as a MIDI device, and this device can be the main output, that’s why the monitoring headphone socket on the AG06 can’t be actually useful. Also, I use 2 USB drives as my song library, so I can’t just use apple’s cable, cuz It doesn’t have extra socket for me to plug usb drives😂 My docking station has 3 usb sockets so that I can plug my usb drives in and also connect iPad with the AG06, meanwhile, 3.5mm socket can allow me to connect iPad with headphone

I just tried with a basic Behringer usb audio interface, it auto selects as usb output device. I’m still using ios16 and I do see the option for split cue on the headphone (so it detects the Behringer has a headphone output, not that it works properly as I have no split cue knob on either the Behringer or the DJay interface to mix between individual channel and master output (as a full mixer would have), so you just get both master and cue equally through the headphone.

Proof at least that if the usb interface has a headphone output that DJay will offer the option of using it with a split cue.

So interesting, but not really helpful for your problem. I do also have a small (cheap version) mixer of a similar type to the Yamaha but the power supply wouldn’t even run it and the ipad together, it must draw too much current to be used in that way, and as it only has one usb socket which it uses for power I can’t power it and connect it to the iPad. Guess it can only be used stand-alone so that idea to test didn’t work either.

There are separate controls for speaker and headphone monitor outputs on the Yamaha though, which might work with a split cue, if you have this option under headphone output in the audio device setup in DJay when connecting the Yamaha? In DJay > settings > audio device setup headphone selection should be just under the the main output device selection, see if you have the option of split cue, then try plugging the headphones into the Yamaha’s Monitor Out headphone socket.

Thanq very much for your advise! I just tried, and it didn’t work. AG06 isn’t like any kinda interface, it will only recognized as one device instead of a devise with multi-channels. So if I put my headphone on the Yamaha AG06 it will be quite useless cuz if I select the “split output”, the sound will come out from the left side of my speakers, and then the right side will be the precue channel😂 If I connect my headphone to the AG06, it will be completely the same! I always use docking station to connect AG06 and headphone to iPad as two different devices, then I can choose which one is main which one is split, I guess I have to wait for updates, if this doesn’t work anymore, I will have to buy a interface. Speak of which, do you think that Focusrite interface can work as well? Or is it only Behringer? And If I use a interface to precue, it has to be a interface with stereo channel (2 channels) for speakers and a 3.5mm socket for headphone, right? I mean, the 3.5mm socket on the interface can be detected by djay as another channel, then choose it as the split output, right?

I just noticed this, you sure that the split output is the exact channel of Behringer’s 3.5mm channel right? Or is it just like mine, when you choose split output, it will be the left channel of your speaker channel😂

@Mister_X there’s a good thread discussing USB audio interfaces here. In general you need 2 things if you want to pre-cue in your headphones and have a master audio output:

1. USB Class Compliant device
  2. 4-Channels (4 out)

So you need the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2-in, 4-out) or 4i4 (4-in, 4-out)

@Mister_X I actually have a USB-C hub with a headphone socket so I might be able to further help you troubleshoot this problem. Can you please take a screen shot of your Settings>Audio Device Setup>Pre-Cueing like I’ve done below?

I don’t have the same Yamaha USB audio device as you, but this is what things look like with the Reloop Ready and my headphones connected to my USB hub. On iOS 16.5.1 (c), I’m able to select Reloop Ready ch1-2 for the Main Output and Split Output for the Pre-Cueing which I think is what you’re describing you used to be able to do.

Sure!

As you can see. Normally djay has found a new MIDI… will only show up once which is the first time, but now it’s every time! Then after clicking OK, I can’t press save or anything, cuz it’s gray. Then to audio device setup, main output is AG06, and you can see the option split output. Now if nothing goes wrong, if I connect to my headphone, the USB PnP Audio Device should be an option of pre-cueing. But no, as soon as I connect to it, AG06 will disappear, change to USB PnP Audio Device, There’s still only None and Split Output at Pre-Cueing. If I connect headphone first, then connect AG06, it’s also like this, two device compete with each other on Main Output.

1 Like

So 2 channels for speakers and other 2 are actually also for speakers but we use it to connect with headphone, right?

1 Like

Yes, 2 channels for stereo speaker (1 for left speaker and 1 right speaker) and 2 channels for stereo headphones (left and right). This is why when you use the Split Output option you either get a mono signal to both speakers or only one of the speakers works.

Thanks for the screen shots. I’ll have a closer look later and see if I can come up with any other suggestions.

I have a question though. my headphone is a 3.5mm headphone, how can I connect it to 2 channels on the interface?

Also, I heard that interfaces like 4i4 can only add eq and fx to mic through software on computer, not possible on iPad or iPhone. I have a wired mic, and I wanna use fx like reverb and also adjust the eq. As far as I know, If I connect both iPad and computer to the interface, I can use all these fx and eq on the iPad while I’m DJing. But the problem is, it seems like the normal connector wire can only connect to computer, and the iPad has to connect to the interface through the 3.5mm headphone socket, with some sort of adapter. If the iPad connect to interface through the 3.5mm, will djay still detect the main output and the split output, like channel 1-2 and channel 3-4?

@Mister_X if you’re using something like the Scarlett 2i4, you connect it the the iPad via USB. You’ll need a 3.5mm to 6.5mm headphone adapter to connect your headphones to the front headphone socket on the 2i4. Then RCAs from the back of the 2i4 to your speakers. Djay will recognize the 2i4 as a multichannel audio interface so you’ll be able to set Channel 1-2 for the Master Output and Channel 2-3 for the Pre-Cueing (instead of using Split Output). You won’t need to connect to the 3.5mm socket on your dock anymore with this type of interface.

As for your microphone questions, I don’t use one in my setup anymore so I’m afraid I can’t provide much help in that department.

If you want to use a microphone as well in your setup, I think you might be better off getting a DJ controller with a built-in mic input instead of a USB audio interface like the Scarlett 2i4. This will make everything a whole lot simpler for you plus you’ll have dedicated hardware controls for DJing.

@Mister_X I carefully reviewed your screen shots in the earlier post, and indeed I think this is a bug related to iOS 17.

I see. Now I have a better understanding of all these
things. Thanq so so much, can’t express how grateful I am!

Well, I guess I’ll have to wait for updates to see if this bug can be fixed😂

@Mister_X well it looks like you are not alone at least. Another user is reporting a similar issue with djay constantly requesting the default MIDI configuration. So this is really looking like an iOS 17 issue.

@Mister_X you’re welcome! Happy to help.

iOS 17.0.1 is out maybe will solve that bug.

Hi @Mister_X,

Thank you for posting your recent experience with djay and iOS 17 in the community.

We apologize that you’ve been encountering what looks to be unexpected behavior from djay since the newest OS update.

I’ve passed this issue along to our engineering and QA teams for further review and will update this thread as soon as I have additional information to share.

Thanks, @Slak_Jaw, for the great feedback and screenshots.

Looking forward to finding a resolution for this soon!