Requesting Better Handling of Playlists

Greets:
I am just resuming a long-time radio show I’ve done, but in podcast form.

My request is for better handling and/or more options for playlist generation. For the “better handling” side of things, when I used the option to save the playlist as a CSV file, when I opened up the file in Excel, it looked terrible. Songs and artists looked jumbled and ended up being where the artist list took up five additional role on the sheet, but the titles were shifted upward. And that’s just one example. It’s a mess.

So here comes the other option, the need for more options such as saving it as a text file (with and/or without a tab delimited option) and an html file. For those of us who need to make playlists and post them on our web sites and/or include them on social media, in playlist metadata for the audio file, etc., this would all be a really significant time saver.

As it is now, I have to type the playlists manually, quick may be quicker and neater than the current options in DJay Pro, but a bit of a hamper from a time management perspective.

As more people are doing mixes and livestreams, I can’t be the only one who’d find these desired options extremely useful.

Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

The CSV file works perfectly for me. You may know this already but just in case.

1. Save the CSV file
  2. Open up Excel (choose blank sheet)
  3. Go to Data tab
  4. Choose From Text/CSV
  5. Choose the CSV file you saved in Step 1
  6. A preview window will pop up
  7. Click “Load” button

Data should open up looking nice in the an Excel sheet. Give it a try. If my instructions don’t work Google “Opening a CSV file in Excel”.

Thanks for the help and the directions.

I do not see the CSV options in the Data tab area. There is an “Import”
option in the File menu, which gives me CSV as one of hte choices. I
followed through the wizard, but in the end it’s still a mess. I exported
from DJay Pro iOS as a CSV, AirDrop to my Mac, opened Excel for Mac, and
tried the Import steps.

I will have to spend time later to sort that out. Again, much appreciated.

Attach the file to this thread and let me give it a shot.

The problem is in Excel side… they always try to be “easy to use” and changes things to be worse in most of releases.

Excel is the worst tool to handle csv files :rofl: :rofl:

Old “developer” trick : rename the file from “.csv” to “.txt” and try to open it up.
It should show you the “old way” of importing i.e. screens like

Haven’t recently used excel for csv files…
But it seems that some import features has been “updated”.

So in latest release, you

• open up csv
  • manually “Convert to columns” with the “old” wizard

Thanks for the help!

Putting the info the two of you shared, I realized that I did miss a few steps. Yes, I did use the “File-•Import” option to choose the CSV, but I somehow missed that it was a wizard with a “Next” button (I have low vision, so I zoom my screen very close). I was given the option to choose to separate by commas, and that’s when the data columns fell into place.

It’s not perfect; for some reason, after 6 songs, there were about a dozen blank rows before the next row with data, but it was overall much improved. I could then delete the columns I do not need, ditch the blank rows, and then I’ll have most of what I need.

Yes, it’s a bit taxing at times that in making a function improved, it becomes a workflow interruptions until one has to relearn the new way.

Thanks again!
V.

Okay, so I stumbled on an even better method, if you are using Excel on iOS.

Not sure if Excel already has to be opened, but I saved the original test
CSV file on my iPad. Usig the Files app, opening up the CSV file, it was
able to import the data into Excel properly. Now when I mean “properly,” I
mean that it’s sorted the data into their proper column. No wizard or
import tool needed!

Keep in mind, this is all from Excel on iOS, the latest 2022.

Now, there are some caveats to be aware of:

• Excel complains that some characters such as / are not allowed, so you
    may need to change the file name before importing.
  • Those blank rows I mentioned in the previous email are still there.

But otherwise, this is great…a few less steps and much less to think
about. If only it worked this way, in the MacOS version!

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.