Scratching settings

NOTE: Please use the search function above before posting to avoid creating duplicate topics.

• Device model: Ipad Pro
  • Version of operating system: 17
  • Version of djay: 5.1.3
  • Hardware/controllers used: Mixon 8

Your question:
Hi all, another noob question. I know nothing about any of this. So let’s just get that out of the way. But my question is a general question.

When scratching, say you have a beat or drum track on the right and a scratch sample on the left. Do you want the fader set so it has no effect on the drum track and just affects the scratch track? Or is there some settings guidance in relation to this?

Thanks

Have you watched the videos in the DJ School section?

Hi @kfarrell70,

1. First of all, in the djay Settings>Sound>MIXER>Crossfader Curve set it to Cut to ensure you have a nice sharp sound cutoff with a very small crossfader movement.
  2. You’ll also want to set the crossfader curve dial on the front of your Mixon 8 Pro all the way to the right.
  3. Now, if the drum track in on the Right Deck and your scratch sample is on the Left Deck, you will want to start with the crossfader all the way to the Right. In this position, you will not hear the scratch sound and only the drum track.
  4. Next, you’ll want to move the crossfader to the left when you are performing your scratch.
  5. This is the VERY basics, but I highly recommend you watch some YouTube how-to videos on scratching as there is a lot of technique and information to learn in this area.
1 Like

Yeah I’ve been watching a ton of videos, but not always when I’m at the unit. Have this little thing hindering my progress, called work. The main problem I’m having is the amount of info out there and not knowing what to start with. I’ve never touched a turntable in my life, except for when I had a record player in the 80’s.

So I’ll make an effort to watch the vids. Looks like there is only a few of them? Thanks for the reply slack_jaw. Haven’t spent but 15 minutes with the software and controller.

Just using the software at work now.
4. Next, you’ll want to move the crossfader to the left when you are performing your scratch.

When I do this, the drum track is cut. Is that what is supposed to happen?

Scratching is an advanced DJ skill that takes a LOT of practice and dedication. If you’re serious about developing this skill, then I recommend you check out the scratching course on Digital DJ Tips.

As for the drum track cutting out, no, that’s not what should happen. Sounds like you might have your crossfader assignment inverted. Make sure this is turned OFF in the settings.

Yeah it’s already set just as you have it. Definitely going to dive in as much as I can. What’s odd is that I’m pretty talented as far as learning any instrument. Been into Electronic music since 2017 with all sorts of hardware. But this DJ stuff is another dimension. And to my surprise, despite what I thought going in, I can’t scratch for s—.

yeah I watched a video of DJ Sara on the Beatpad 2 and got bit. So being the knucklehead I am, I’m obsessed. Need to quit my job so I can get good faster :smiley:

When slak_jaw says move the crossfader to the left, he doesn’t mean all the way to the left. Just move it enough so that the track you’re scratching is audible above the other track.

Also set the crossfader curve as instructed.

Trying to wrap my head around this.
So scratch sample is on left, drum track on the right. When I move the fader all the way to the left, I only hear the scratch track and not the drum track and vice versa. Is that the expected behavior? Like if I was transitioning from one song to another?

And what slack is saying is that I have the fader all the way to the right and only move is to the left enough where I can hear the scratch sample? Won’t that also reduce the volume of the drum track? Or only if I move it to the left past the middle mark? Sorry for all the dumb questions. This stuff is very tough for me to wrap my head around. I though learning Ableton was rough. This is 100x more difficult.

Hi @kfarrell70,

1. First, you need to adjust your crossfader curve like I suggested above.
  2. With the above crossfader settings, you only need to move the crossfader a very small amount away from either side before both the Left and Right Deck are both playing a full volume. This is essential for scratching.
  3. Now, what you want to do is have the drum track playing on the Right Deck with the crossfader all the way to the right.
  4. When you want to scratch with your scratch track, you move the crossfader only slightly to the Left. NOT all the way to the left. This way you can hear both the drum and scratch track.

Beyond this, you really should consider some very beginner level scratching video tutorials or a proper scratching course like I suggested from Digital DJ Tips. I hope that helps…

I’ve been watching the vids during the day. Tough when I don’t have the controller though. Now that I know the thing is working like it’s supposed to, I’m good for now. Thanks for your help

You’re welcome @kfarrell70. Good luck!