Search on external ntfs drive

Hi all,

Apologies for asking a recurring question (I’ve already red 2007/2018/2019 topics in the Old forum) but the search function still seams not working on external USB drives with DJay pro AI in 2023.

My music is browsable but not searchable. Why?

My drive is a HDD formatted NTFS with read/write access enabled (Paragon software).

Do you have the same behaviour on your side? Is it to be considered as a bug or not?

Hi @David.Roge,

Thank you for your post and I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing!

To answer your question,

I have not been able to reproduce this issue and I’m able to add from and search within my USBs as intended.

So that I can better assist you, can you share a screenshot showing what appears when you attempt to search on your drives?

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you and have a nice day!

Hi,

please find the screenshot.

As you can see, the song file is browsable, loadable but not searchable. I’ve tried with a shorter name, it’s the same.

Regards.

I ran few tests today and my conclusion is that the search function works only with APFS or MacOS extended filesystems. I also performed differents tests with NTFS, FAT or ExtFAT and the search doesn’t find the song with these formatted disk.

So it’s very easy to reproduce the case. For information but I think it is not relevant, my macbook is running Ventura 13.0.1.

I hope you will find a solution for me.

Thank you.

Maybe because macOS doesn’t support search functions on NTFS drives?

The NTFS support is quite limited

it doesn’t say if it macOS can search but I did some net search and didn’t find answer.

If you can search your NTFS with Finder, then the search should work, but if Finder can’t do it, then the problem is in macOS side.

Developers should be able to answer to this :slight_smile:

Hi,

the comparison between what Finder can do and what DJay pro can do is not relevant.

In addition, Finder indexes and finds well also files stored in NTFS drives. But I agree with you, by default macOS is readonly limited for NTFS partitions but in my case, I use an additionnal software for enabling full capabilities (read and write).

So, in my perspective, the issues is just located inside DJay pro.

Thank you for your helping reply.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.