Sound quality iPad vs Laptop (Mac)

Curious…

I’m considering using the iPad for DJing, but sound quality is of utmost importance to me. I was wondering if anyone has tried both the iPad and a Mac (Mac Mini or MacBook Pro) and can confirm whether the sound quality is identical, superior, or inferior on either device. Please, no guesses—only responses based on confirmed testing.

1 Like

Hi @CrateDigger, can you please also confirm if you are also connecting to external hardware like a DJ controller or audio interface?

1 Like

I’ve DJ’d with all these controllers using my iPhone, iPad and Macbooks. For each controller, sound quality was the same between the Apple devices.

Denon MC4000
Pioneer CDJ/XDJ
Pioneer FLX4, FLX10, REV1
Reloop Mixtour (original)
Traktor Z1

1 Like

Using an external mixer with sound card (DVS) it’s an Allen & Heath PX5 hybrid Aanalog / Digital mixer)

1 Like

I see. Good to know.

I just want to add that sound quality is NOT the same among Android devices. For future reference if anybody reads this. Windows is great. Android is poor quality sound. Not enough to play live, unfortunately.

Always been a MAC/iPhone guy but this is valuable information. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t know how the engine works, but in theory the quality could change on different Android devices as Algo might scale calculations depending on the CPU power.

You can see (more or less) the same thing happening with stems on Apple. Newer CPUs have more AI processing power which translates in better stem separation.