Sound Quality problem

Hi everyone,

I’m experiencing an issue that I’m becoming increasingly aware of. When I play pop music, many of the songs vary significantly in both loudness and overall fullness. Some tracks sound just like they do on CDJs, while others come across as quite flat. Almost like some would be bad quality, but most of them are Apple bought. I’m starting to suspect this might be a problem with Djay, and it feels like it’s getting worse.

I have the auto limiter deactivated, but I do use auto gain.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I‘m using an IPad Pro 2021 and the latest version of Djay, with a Vestax VCI 400 Controller.

1 Like

Examples? Flat vs non-flat. Did you compare by playing them in other software or from other sources?

An example would be “Oops! I Did It Again” by Britney Spears versus “Sexy and I Know It” by LMFAO. While the Britney song sounds solid on a CDJ, it doesn’t sound as great on my setup. The LMFAO track sounds banging on both. Both are Apple bought. CDJ via Recordbox.

In general, I find the auto gain function doesn’t work well, as I often have to adjust the volume because the mixer (which I’m plugged into with my controller) LEDs indicate I’m much quieter or louder and it also sounds like that.

2 Likes

Are they WAV, Mp3? Bit rate?

I’ve been thinking it was Tidal or maybe some of my tracks are low quality. So yes I’ve been experiencing some sound quality issues.

1 Like

With streaming services, where there are multiple copies of the same track, it’s worth checking to see if another source sounds better (different mastering, EQ etc).

1 Like

Should be ACC with 128 Kbits. Whatever comes out of the iTunes Store. Pretty sure this isn’t the problem :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Is anyone using the auto gain function and also experiencing very different loudness?

1 Like

This has been an issue if you use the top faders. But even on Beatsource, different versions of the same song sound different, depending on the album.