Stop repeated tracks in Automix mode (djay 2)?

I normally live DJ events, however, I have a small Martini party coming up with like 30 people and since I’m making the drinks, I cannot mix drinks and music live at the same time.

So I created a playlist of like 100 songs. I’ve been listening to the automix of that playlist and low-and-behold the automix played maybe 12 songs 3 different times, while ignoring many of the songs in the playlist. Is it so that automix can’t tell when a song in the playlist is flagged with a red check, and then simply ignore the track.

I’m sure a solution to this is adding songs to the queue, however, I have 6000+ songs on my ipad and only need like 100 and it’s going to take FOREVER to go through and add each song.

THANKS!

The problem is that it repeats tracks, not skips tracks. Al tracks work (load and play).

After the 3rd track, it could play the 2nd track over again. That’s the problem.

We are NOT IN QUEUE when this happens. We are playing FROM A PLAYLIST!

Songs repeat when using autoplay in a PLAYLIST.

No, did nothing in iTunes. Pressed Autoplay and listened to song repeat. It’s THAT simple.

Yes, what Scott said, it may play a track, then play it again 2 songs later while 20 other tracks in the folder have not yet been played, and they all load and play just fine.

If you use automix with “shuffle” turned off, then the tracks will play in order and not repeat until the end of the list of songs in the automix queue is reached, at which point the list will repeat from the start again. If you turn shuffle on, then it will randomize the order in which the tracks are played, but due to the nature of it being random, will sometimes pick the same song again before playing another unplayed one.
When doing background music at weddings, I select the playlist, or album I want to automix, make sure shuffle is turned off, highlight it and start the automix, display the automix queue and then rearrange the order if not happy with the sequence they will play in, then let it do it’s thing, safe in the knowledge it won’t repeat any tracks until it reaches the end and loops.

The Automix should be playing all songs within your playlist before starting it from the beginning.
Can you please check whether you can load one of the skipped tracks manually?
Probably, djay 2 can’t play these tracks for some reason.

FYI: You can add an entire playlist to your Queue by pressing “More” > “Add all to Queue” whiting the playlist.

Thanks a lot for your help, guys. We still need to gather some further information though:

* Did you use the “Shuffle” option?
* Did you reorder the Queue during Automix?
* Did you edit the Queue during the Automix?
* Did you refresh your library during Automix?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your additional info guys.

I’m sorry, same applies for playlists:
* Did you reorder/edit the Playlist during Automix (within iTunes)?

Another question: did you play any songs in the playlist before starting Automix, and are those songs that are repeated?

^^^^^ YUP what HE said LOL.

YUP Three times has happened to me and that just made no sense.

I don’t use Automix professionally but still the enjoyment while listening for pleasure is … a little less pleasurable.:frowning:

"Will be nice to have each song play once and leave the queue "

Bingo. Much like Serato’s “Prepare” folder. At least this is how I would want it.

If not even an indication visual or not telling the software to SKIP for this session at the very least.

If you want to try this yourself here is an easy way. Pick a Spotify playlist. Play a few songs manually (selecting songs within said playlist ONLY obviously) then select automix and whether shuffle is selected or not the songs you played already will be played again.

A (VERY IMO) simple solution would be to have a tracking system in which songs will NOT replay when Autoplay is used UNLESS repeat (song or playlist) is selected. In other words the software should easily be able to play ALL songs from playlist without repeating ANY until all songs are played.

This should apply to single sessions as well as not apply to manually selecting songs IMO.

This group gets it, lol. EXACTLY what everyone else said.
Adrian - ALL The songs will eventually play, however, not before previous songs that might have already played play two or three times.

Example (just for reference). 10 songs in list
song 1 - 1 play, song 8 - 3 plays, song 4 - 2 plays, song 5 - 1 play, song 3 - 1 play, song 9 - 2 plays, etc.

Now imagine this over the course of 100 songs. I played the automix everyday for hours for the past week and when i stop it after like 4 hours, 10 songs might have repeated 2 or 3 times. That’s crazy, lol.

THANKS for the suggestion of adding all tracks in one playlist into a queue. I know the queue’d songs also play randomly, so that just might work!

I think what i and others are suggesting is an automix that shuffles, but doesn’t repeat songs at all…

Thanks for any more insight you can provide on this…

Yeah Dave, I’m with you. For events, I NEVER use automix. I do use it alot when I’m listening to music around the house and in this case next month, for a house Martini Party.

The add all to queue is a great work around, especially since all 100 songs won’t play before the night is over…o no worries there. Will be nice to have each song play once and leave the queue

@Erwin - The solution (temporary) was definitely to go into the playlist> hit more> add to queue. I have played that poor playlist to death (as queue’d items) and there were absolutely no repeats, as the tracks were removed from the queue immediately after being played. They did not play in order, however. But for me, i wanted them totally random anyway. I’m thinking that if you play your queue’d items with shuffle “off”, I see no reason why they’d still randomize.

I haven’t had the party as of yet (2 more weeks). It’s growing bigger by the day, and I thought 30 people was enough to have to build drinks for…I guess not, lol… Thanks for asking…

Exactly what Stu said… "If you use automix with “shuffle” turned off, then the tracks will play in order and not repeat until the end of the list of songs in the automix queue is reached, at which point the list will repeat from the start again. If you turn shuffle on, then it will randomize the order in which the tracks are played, but due to the nature of it being random, will sometimes pick the same song again before playing another unplayed one. "

Here are the exact answers to your questions though:

* Did you use the “Shuffle” option? - YES
* Did you reorder the Queue during Automix? - NO
* Did you edit the Queue during the Automix? - NO
* Did you refresh your library during Automix? - NO

Prior to just adding all the songs from a certain playlist into the Automix, I was just running the playlist with shuffle “on”.

I hope that info helps. Thankfully the “add all to queue” feature works how I’d imagine the random automix to eventually work.

Adrian, to mimic DJMM:

The issue happens when we are doing an Automix of a PLAYLIST.
You add the playlist to automix and it will play certain songs on the list over and over again, while ignoring other “playable” songs in said list.

We would like for the Automix, in shuffle mode, to be able to play ALL tracks, randomly, without repeating any of the tracks in the playlist.

Thanks for considering this issue…

“Did you reorder/edit the Playlist during Automix (within iTunes)?”

• No. Just went into Automix, chose the playlist, hit shuffle and let it play

“did you play any songs in the playlist before starting Automix, and are those songs that are repeated?”
-No. Went into DJ2 clean. Nothing was previously played

THANKS

Hi Dan,
I am facing the same as you soon. You mentioned before “I know the queue’d songs also play randomly”.
Did it work putting all your playlist in the queue and did the songs played in the right order with no repeats?
Did you have your Martini party yet? :slight_smile:
Thanks