Tidal. Downloads. Stems etc.

Considering this…

As of May 21st, 2024, TIDAL has updated its subscription tier for all DJ apps, requiring users to switch to TIDAL’s Individual plan with DJ Extension to continue using the service through djay.

Before I cough up for this extension, can anyone tell me if you can use Tidal downloads via DJ Pro. Offline basically. If it’s just streaming, not for me.

Additionally, curious to know what the availability of stems is like. Is there anyway to find out what’s available without the DJ extension?

Oh and can you download stems from Tidal?

Thanks

Ah wait. I just read somewhere “The stem separation is done in the DJ software, not by Tidal.”, so Tidal is just “allowing it” as opposed to providing it.

Hmm, does Tidal DJ extension work with Neural Mix Pro?

That’s the same for any service, not just Tidal.

Also, as with any streaming service, you’re renting the tracks. You don’t get to download and keep them.

1 Like

Hi @N_C, TIDAL does not currently offer an offline locker mode for any DJ software. Currently the only streaming services that have this are Beatport LINK Pro and Beatsource LINK Pro. Neural Mix STEMs separation within djay is, however, supported.

1 Like

Thanks. So to be clear. If you want to use tracks off Tidal you can only play them when connected to the Internet, right?

Yes, that is correct. Same with Apple Music and SoundCloud.

I note here that it’s kinda, sorta, under consideration?

Would make a big difference. Basically, I don’t see the point in paying for the DJ extension if you can’t have offline access.

@N_C offline locker functionality needs to be enabled by the streaming service provider before we can add it to djay. I recommend that you reach out to TIDAL Customer Support and express your interest in them adding this functionality. Thanks!

This is incorrect. It’s been available in VirtualDJ for some time now.

Also see here Tidal offline locker - #20 by agershon

1 Like

Thanks for the correction @PKtheDJ. This is promising news for sure. I’ll make sure our dev team is aware of this as well…

1 Like

I’ve just seen that PCDJ announced a couple of weeks ago that their forthcoming DEX 4 will include offline storage for Tidal, so I guess it’s starting to open up beyond just VDJ.

That’s excellent news. Thanks again for sharing @PKtheDJ

You know what to do…

Hmm. I think we all know that as individuals that’s pretty much a waste of time (as with any support from big companies). But someone from Algoriddim, sending links to threads here on the subject that might not be a total waste of time.

But then again.

1 Like

You’re correct, but I believe that when Slak says “you” he means everyone who wants offline storage from Tidal.

If you looked out of your window and saw one person walking past, you probably wouldn’t take much notice - but if you looked out and saw a thousand people then you would pay attention.

Oh and what if you saw a thousand people walking past at a a rate on one every few weeks. How might that go?

I can understand that many people would like such a feature like offline locker, but I don’t think constantly asking for it will speed it up. Tidal will already know that users want this. I see two possibilities:

1. They think it’s a good idea and implement it - then they’ll communicate it immediately.
  2. They come to the conclusion that it’s not that important - then they won’t implement it.

I see it like this: if it comes, it’s good. If not, I can also live with it.