Tracks playing too fast

Just recently bought and Ipad Air (latest generation). I have a Reloop Ready controller that I have as a backup and have used it with my regular DJ computer. I also purchased a Djay Pro subscription all in the hope to have a very tiny rig usin he DJay software an Ipad and a Reloop Ready controller.

The problem is that when I play a track using the Ipad and software with just and audio (DJ splitter clable) everything is fine. When I try to use the controller, it seems like the playback sample rate is not correct as all the tracks are playing too fast.

The BPM and SYNC are fine, is just playback is too fast. On a computer using other DJ software, the software has features to adjust the soundcard’s playback sample rate to solve that problem. On an Ipad using DJay I can find a solution.

Remeber, Djay by itself with just hardware audio connections work fine.
Djay with Reloop Ready (connected as specified in manuals) is playing tracks too fast.

Hope someone can help me with this one.

Hey @FigDJ ,

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for your post.

To better understand where the issue might be, could you please answer the following questions?

1. Which iOS version is running on your device?
  2. Which djay version are you using? (Please open the djay settings and scroll down to determine the version number.)

Additionally, so that I can better assist you, could you please record a video capturing the explained issue and attach it to your reply? If the video is too big to post to this thread , please use one of the following methods for sharing your video:

1. Upload your video file directly to our Dropbox service using this direct link: Upload to Dropbox.
  2. Upload your video file to a cloud storage service, like Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive, or to your own YouTube account, and share a link to your video.

Please make sure that you name your attached video file as your Community thread URL (Tracks playing too fast) so we can easily track it in our system.

Having a clear view of the issue will go a long way toward investigating and finding a solution. I look forward to your response so we can investigate the issue further.

Thank you for getting back to me.
The Ipad OS is 16.3.1
The Djay version is 4.1.6
The Ipad is the Ipad Air (5th generation)
In all the 3 videos I am playing the same track to demonstrate the problem.
The track is “Used 2 you” by OddKidOut & Marty.

On the 1st video I am using a USB C to audio connection to a Minirig speaker.
The audio is perfect the track is playing with the tempo in the middle and everything is Ok at 116 BPM.

On the 2nd video
I am using a USBC media adapter. From the adapter USB A to the Reloop Ready controller USB B and the switch to PC Mode. The BPM remains the same at 116 but the track obviously playing too fast.
Audio output is from the controller to the Minirig speaker.

On the 3rd video
I am using a USB B from the Reloop Ready controller to a power source. Also connected from the Ipad USB C to the Reloop Ready controller USB A with the mode switch to IOS Mode. The BPM remains the same at 116 but the track obviously playing too fast.
Audio output is from the controller to the Minirig speaker.

Now the controller works fine with Serato Dj Pro, Virtual Dj 2021, and Cross DJ. All 3 of those DJ software have options to change the playback sample rate and the default is 48K. Apparently Djay is defaulting to 41k playback sample rate… Now that is just my speculation. Perhaps I am doing something wrong or missed a setting somewhere.

Please help. So far, I love your software, but it is unusable unless playing out without the controller.
Thanks for paying attention to my problem.

Hey @FigDJ, thanks so much for getting back to us so quickly and providing those video files.

Sorry to hear you’ve been dealing with this!

To further understand where the issue might be, could you please connect the Reloop Ready in the same way to a different iOS device and let us know if the problem persists there? Or only on this particular iPad.

If you do not have a second device, you can perhaps borrow one from a friend or family member if possible.

Please note while you do this, we have passed this information on testing, and we will get back to you as soon as we hear back from them.

Thanks so much in advance. Have a nice day!

Hello Alyx

I connected the Reloop Ready controller to my Iphone 11 Pro which is running IOS 16.3.1 and Djay 4.1.6.
I ran the exact same test and connections. The only difference is that my Iphone uses a lightning connection not a USB C connection like the Ipad.

I got the exact same results.

Hey @FigDJ,

I just wanted to give you an update. Thanks for your patience so far!

We’re still investigating the issue on our end and haven’t been able to reproduce the issue as of yet.

We’ll get back to you as soon as we have more information from the testing team.

Thanks again for your patience, and let us know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Have a great day!

I re-ran all the test just to make sure I am not going crazy.

WIndows 11 Laptop computer running Serato, the controller works perfectly.
WIndows 11 Laptop computer running VDJ 2021, the controller works perfectly.
WIndows 11 Laptop computer running Cross DJ Pro 2.6, the controller works perfectly.
WIndows 11 Laptop computer running Cross DJ Pro 3.4.3, the controller works perfectly.
WIndows 11 Laptop computer running Cross DJ Pro 4.0, the controller works perfectly.

Algoriddim Djay Pro, Ipad Air (5th generation), Just audio out, no controller work perfectly
Algoriddim Djay Pro, Iphone 11, Just audio out, no controller work perfectly

Algoriddim Djay Pro, Ipad Air (5th generation), Reloop Ready, playing too fast.
Algoriddim Djay Pro, Iphone 11, Reloop Ready, playing too fast.

The controller works perfectly with other Dj software on a laptop which leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with the controller.

Only playing too fast with Djay on IOS.
All the other DJ software have options to change the playback sample rate from 48K to 41k. 48K playback sample rate is the correct one to use. If I choose to change it to 41k (the wrong one) I get the same results of playing too fast.

It seems that when using Djay with the Reloop ready it is defaulting to 41k playback sample rate instead of the correct one of 48K. However, there is no option to change this on DJ for IOS.

The problem may not be noticeable when running track on the high BPM (128 and up) but it is definitively noticeable at the lower BPMs

I hope this information (although I am no expert) may help troubleshooting. Without a fix for this Djay Pro is useless to me as I would prefer to use it in a very compact set up with and Ipad and a small controller such as Reloop Ready.

Hey @FigDJ

Thanks so much for providing this additional information. I have forwarded it on to the developers, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks once again for your patience and understanding! And, of course, don’t hesitate to reach out if any further questions arise.

Hey @FigDJ - thanks again for your patience!

Moving forward with troubleshooting the issue: Does it make a difference whether the controller is connected when djay is initially launching or not? It would be interesting to know if it makes a difference in which sequence the controller is plugged in.

Thanks in advance. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!

Hello Alyx

I connected the controller before bringing up Djay in IOS mode.
Same result, playing too fast.
I closed out Djay and disconnected. Bring up Djay and then connected the controller.
I recognized the controller, loaded the same track.
Same results, playing too fast.

I Repeated the procedure but this time using the PC mode with the Ipad.
The results were the same.

In summary:
IOS Mode, connected controller, bring up Djay, load a track. playing too fast
IOS Mode, bring up Djay, connected controller, load a track, playing too fast.

PC Mode, connected controller, bring up Djay, load a track. playing too fast
PC Mode, bring up Djay, connected controller, load a track, playing too fast.

Thank for keeping on top. Hopefully we can get to a solution.

Hello, any word or updates on what could be the problem here. My subscription is actually useless without being able to use my controller which it is listed as compatible. As stated before the controller works with everything else (other software suites).

Hi @FigDJ,

Thanks so much for your continued patience, as our teams have been trying to reproduce this issue to no avail.

As it has been some time since you initially brought up this issue, I’d like to ask whether or not this problem is continuing to happen in the latest version of djay, v4.1.9, as well as the latest version of iOS, v16.5.1.

Additionally, I will be moving your topic to our DJ Hardware category for improved Community management.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Have a nice day!

The problem still persists both in the PC and IOS mode even with the updates from Algoriddim and Apple. By the way I also tested the controller with Cross DJ Pro for IOS and it pays at the correct.
Perhaps is something related to new IPADs.

In addition, I can go into using the controller with Serato, VDJ and Cross DJ it all works perfectly In each one of those software platforms there are settings to change the playback sample rate. The correct rate is 48K. The problem is that it seems to be defaulting to 44.1K with makes the music sound much faster. In other words, I have been able to reproduce the problem when the software platform allows me to change the playback sample rate from 48K to 44.1K.
I imagine that the problem is can be corrected in Djay by changing the playback sample rate but there is no setting that allows me to do that in Djay.

I wish this could get fix as I was looking forward to a very small set up with DJay. Until it is (in my experience) DJay remains relegated to be just a toy not Pro DJ software. Very disappointed.

Has anyone taken a look at this problem? I have the latest version of Djay and the problem still persist. My Pro subscription is coming up for renewal at the end of this month and if the problem is not resolve them Djay is useless to me.

Recap/Summary

When using the Reloop Ready controller with the latest IOS and Djay versions. either on Ipad Air 5th Gen or Iphone 15 pro max the tracks play at a very high speed. BPM still reads the same, but the track is too fast. When playing without the controller connected it all goes back to normal.

Suspect a problem with the default playback sample rate when it is connected to a controller.

The controller work fine with other software platforms or when connected to a PC.

I like the software. I just can’t use it with the current problem. Please Help!

I guess that at this point I have to give up on Djay. I had such high hopes to finally have the ultra-portable solution with an Ipad and a Reloop Ready controller. The controller has been tested and it work fine with non-IOS configurations. The Ipad is new and reset and started over just in case something was wrong with it. What is left is the Dajay software. It seems that Djay Support has forgotten about me and this problem as nobody from Support has even commented on this thread for a while. So disappointing. Djay is not usable to me with this current problem.