Trouble with sound when tempo is accelerated

Device model : Ipad Pro 2020, Apple Macbook Pro M1
Version of operating system : IOS 17.5.1, Mac OS Sonoma 14.5

• Version of djay (e.g. 5.1.2): 5.2
  • Hardware/controllers used (e.g. Reloop Mixon 8 Pro): Mixon 8 Pro

Summary of the issue: Hello all. I meet a problem that certainly a lot of you meet but do not hear. Let me explain you.

When I play a song to its normal BPM, then the sound is fine, no problem. But, when I have to accelerate the BPM to sync with another song, then, I can hear a sort of ā€˜couic couic soundā€™. Itā€™s caused by the kicks and hi hats sounds when accelerated. Then, appears a kind of background noise that sounds like a rusty wheel making noise. If you pay attention, you can hear this. Take any ā€œelectronicā€ music song, and go from about 124 bpm to just 128 or 130 and, you will hear this kind of distorsion.

I made a comparison with Serato and Virtual DJ, using exactly the same song with my Macbook Pro and the Mixon 8 Pro, and the problem does not appear neither on Serato nor on VDJ.

On this page, you will find the kind of sound Iā€™m talking about.
https://www.pond5.com/fr/search?kw=rusty-wheel&media=sfx

Hi @RamDamArea, thanks for sharing the details about your setup and the audio recordings. I have forwarded this to the engineering team to see if they can reproduce the issue and offer any suggestions. Iā€™ll report back here when I have news. Thanks!

Thank you. I keep waiting.

Youā€™re welcome @RamDamArea

1 Like

If you want an example of song on which it is easily heard, try Tina, by Vintage Culture.

Thanks for the example song @RamDamArea. Iā€™ve passed it onto engineering. So far we have not been able to replicate this issue.

Hi again @RamDamArea, can you please try to capture a video of the issue, upload it to your Google Drive/Dropbox, enable sharing permissions, then share a link to the video here? Thanks!

Hi, Slak-Jaw. I will do this during the weekend.

Thanks @RamDamArea. Looking forward to reviewing the video.

Hi, Slak_Jam. Here is a link to the video I made.

1 Like

@Slak_Jaw Did you see the video?

Hi @RamDamArea, thanks for the video. Iā€™ve passed this onto engineering.

@Slak_Jaw, thank you. With a headphone, they should hear it immediately.

1 Like

Hi @RamDamArea, thanks for the video; this is very helpful. You have good ears! I wasnā€™t able to hear the difference myself, but the engineering team was able to put the 2 tracks side-by-side with matched levels and was able to detect the sound you have described. They are looking into this further. Iā€™ll report back here when I have news. Thanks!

Thank you so much. I will wait for updates and hope they will find the solution.

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome @RamDamArea