Updating Track Tags

I currently have hundreds of .mp4 music video files that I use for VJ sessions. They all have ID3 tags and are used within DJay as imported into “My Collection”. They have all subsequently had BPMs, cue points, start/end points, and loops defined within DJay.

1. If I update or add to the ID3 tags of these already imported tracks using an external editor, how do I get DJay to recognize the changes while still preserving the cue points, etc.

2. If I understand correctly, DJay will automatically recognize ID3 tag changes if they are imported into DJay via its Apple Music interface and tag changes are subsequently made within Apple Music. If I begin using Apple Music to manage these tracks and re-import into DJay, how can I preserve the cue points, etc that were created for the tracks earlier?

I can answer the iTunes / Music.app part: djay recognizes songs via their artist and title combination. That means you can update all tags except these two without losing your cue points. You WILL lose your cue points if you change artist or title. I haven’t found a way around that so far.

3 Likes

Thanks for that tip! I do want to clarify one thing to be sure. I’m asking if there is a way for me to begin using Apple Music as the source for my previously manually imported tracks without losing the cue points. Here’s an example:

Suppose I have a directory on my computer named “tracks”, which contains 1000 songs or videos that I want to use in DJAY. I use the ability to import from a file location within the DJAY app to add them to “My Collection”, then analyze for BPM and create cue points, loops, playlists, etc. I use DJAY like this for a while.

Later, in an attempt to get DJAY to recognize edits to ID3 tags, I want to instead have the DJAY app recognize the tracks as being part of my Apple Music collection. I add them to Apple Music to do so, ensuring that I do not edit artist or title.

Will DJAY recognize them as being the same tracks and preserve the cue points, but now being managed by Apple Music?

Will I now have duplicates in “My Collection”, and if so can I safely remove the original imports while retaining the cue points, etc for the Apple Music imports?

Do I need to also ensure that the tracks remain in their original directory location, or will DJAY honor location changes made by Apple Music via its “keep music organized” function without losing cue points, etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help clarify this confusing situation, which could have been easily avoided if DJAY either recognized external ID3 changes or allowed for simple editing within the app.

1 Like

Doesn’t Work in djay Collection:
ID3 tags don’t update in the djay Collection; even if you re-analyze the track in the djay Collection, ID3 tag won’t change. The only way to make an ID3 tag update is to delete / re-import the track/playlist. note: djay metadata does update across the djay app and works as expected (cues, loops etc.)

Works in Apple Music and My Files View:
In djay, ID3 tag changes do work in the Apple Music (iTunes) and the My Files views. Changes to the ID3 tags will show up (almost) immediately, but may require a refresh or a re-analyze. This is not always consistent, so take care when making changes in real-time.

Best Practices for djay Pro
Personally, I think best way to manage tracks / playlists in djay Pro:

1. Put all tracks in 1 folder and turn off “Keep Music Media folder organized” in Apple Music (iTunes). This is also also easily transferrable to other djay software.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 1.02.22 PM

1. Use iTunes and My files to manage tracks and playlists. I point My Files at the Apple Music directory as an extra point of access. For bulk edits, I use MP3Tag.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 1.21.50 PM

• Archived DJ Sets can be transferred directly to Apple Music.
  • Custom playlist in the djay Collection, will have to be exported as .csv files and converted to an .m3u playlist (see my post on doing that conversion).
  1. Use the djay Collection only for temp playlists that can be destroyed and re-created from Apple Music or My Files. If you don’t mind using the python conversion script, you can create custom playlists in the djay Collection and export them to iTunes for backup, further editing and maybe re-importing back into djay.
3 Likes

As usual, excellent explanation @Michael_Wisniewski. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.