Voice over screen reader when using a controller

Hello everyone. I hope I am posting this question in the correct category. if not I do apologize.

I am using Djay on iOS and iPad OS. This is because of the great accessibility integration with voice over. I am visually impaired and rely on the voice over to assist me from time to time when looking for a particular track. Djay is extremely well integrated with the built-in screen reader called voice over.

Everything works well until you plug in a controller… For some reason the app does not have a way of passing voice over audio threw the headphones as it does when connecting headphones directly to the iPad.

Is there a way that this can be fixed? This will really help the visually impaired community

Just bumping up this post. This is a very important topic for people like me and was hoping I would get a reply soon

Hi guys.

I am pleased to report that voiceover works on the mcx8000. Was able to route the voice over on the headphones. I just need to plug it into a system and see that it’s not coming out through the speakers.
I will update this thread for any other visually impaired users as I go along

Hi @Djdash,

Thanks for starting this thread about using VoiceOver with a controller. My apologies for the delayed reply, but I’m glad that you were able to route VoiceOver to the proper channel on your MCX8000. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I’ll be happy to help.

1 Like

Good day to you and thank you for getting back to me. I am still doing some testing and will revert as soon as I have some concrete answers. I am aware that you guys take accessibility very seriously so this I am sure will be beneficial for you…
I am still struggling to get VoiceOver to function correctly on the Numark mixtrack platinum

Hi there. Apologies for taking so long to get back to this thread. I was doing some testing however, I have come across a challenge that I am not sure that I can resolve. VoiceOver is working perfectly however, it is coming out through the main speakers as well.

I have done a little research on other blind friendly websites especially for Apple devices and this seems to be a concern but I have not yet found a solution.

Does The Djay App have an audio setting that I can route different kinds of audio to different sources? this might be the only way out…

Any suggestions will be welcome as I cannot play live having VoiceOver coming through the main speakers

If I could somehow get VoiceOver to play through the pre-Kewside this would work.

After doing a little more reading, I see that there are a few blind or visually impaired djs on this forum and there are some other threads talking about the same challenge… Can you please investigate this from your side and try and provide us with a workable solution.

Hi there.

I do apologise for constantly posting on this thread however, it is becoming more and more difficult to play outdoors until we find a solution for VoiceOver… Have you guys investigated this at all?

Hi to all my visually impaired DJ friends and the dev team. I think I found the solution.

1. When you connect the controller to the iPad or iPhone and, I am sure this would work with the MacBooks as well. Go to voiceover
  2. Go to settings and audio
  3. You will find your controller listed as an output.
  4. Change the voiceover output and you are good to go. I need to do some final testing connecting to some speakers however, when plugging in headphones and muting the both channels voice over is working.

Also, disabled the ducking setting voiceover so the music does not get affected.

I hope this helps somebody

Please see the screenshots below to help anybody else.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.