Windows 5.2 - edited metadata not showing up in application (new issue)

NOTE: Please use the search function above before posting to avoid creating duplicate topics.

• Device model (e.g. 2020 iPad Air 4th Gen):
  • Version of operating system (e.g. macOS 14.4.1):
  • Version of djay (e.g. 5.1.2):
  • Hardware/controllers used (e.g. Reloop Mixon 8 Pro):

Hi,
I had to reinstall Win 11 and djay pro 5.2. Since then, when I use mp3tag editor to update my metadata, (e.g., the Comments field) the new content is not showing up in djay pro. I did not have this problem before.
I searched my local drive thoroughly and there is only one instance of this particular music file (which is the one that I updated the metadata on).

Any suggestions? I can’t find anything in the manual about this.

Cheers!

Are you accessing the file directly or via (e.g.) iTunes? If you update the metadata on the file then you need to update the iTunes database, because djay reads that, not the file directly.

I don’t use iTunes. Just directly on the local drive.

Hi @TheSilverStreak, please close djay, reboot your laptop, relaunch djay, and then reanalyze the playlist containing the song in question to see if that solves the issue.

Hi Slak_Jaw, Thanks for the suggestion. I did all that (just now). Unfortunately, no change. Any other ideas?

Okay, @TheSilverStreak. I’ve shared this with engineering to see if they have any other suggestions. I’ll report back when I have news.

Thanks. Don’t know if this will help them, but I tested the ability to edit several fields in other files within the same source directory and they populated djay Pro fields properly. Tried updating other fields on the same file in question and they worked with the exception of the ‘Comments’ tag, which didn’t work. I verified with the tag editor software (mp3tag) that their product does in fact, edit FLAC files (the format of the file in question). This was evidenced by the updating of other metadata fields in the same file. I have no idea what the issue is.

Hi again @TheSilverStreak, can you please confirm with a screenshot which media source in djay you are using (ex. My Collection, Local Music, My Files)? Thanks!

@Slak_Jaw
Oh, I have the same problem!
I think djay pro 5 might not be able to read metadata from files directly, but I could be wrong! It might be trying to get it from the iTunes library. And if we haven’t installed iTunes on Windows and created a database with our collection there, we don’t see any metadata.
If that’s the case, I’d say it’s probably best to avoid using iTunes for this, whether you’re on Windows or Mac.
The good news is that other DJ programs work great without iTunes!

I’ll show you what the metadata looks like in other programs.

This is djay pro 5.2.3
Local & Playlists (My Collection)
The metadata of the “Comment” field is not displayed.

This is foobar2000 (Windows 10).
The metadata of the “Comment” field is perfectly visible.

This is DJUCED 6.1.1
The metadata of the “Comment” field is perfectly visible… And Rating

This is Serato 2.4.2
The metadata of the “Comment” field is perfectly visible.

This is Recordbox 6

This is Traktor Pro 3.11

Is the problem affecting other file formats like AAC or MP3? Or is it just a problem with FLAC files?

The problem only affects FLAC files, not other audio formats that I can duplicate (such as mp3, wav, etc.)
To clarify: I am using djay Pro 5.2 for WINDOWS and using Mp3tag software v. 3.27 for WINDOWS.

As a workaround, especially since the majority of the audio files I use are not FLAC, I just go into Windows’ File Explorer and enter the Comments in the Comments field, which djay Pro 5.2 for Windows shows without any problem.

Unfortunately, now I am experiencing another problems with using these two software apps together, which I will post under separate cover.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks for the additional info @Zirrex and @TheSilverStreak

1 Like

@TheSilverStreak @Slak_Jaw

I’ve found a way to make comments display for FLAC files!
The good news is that you just need to use the DESCRIPTION meta tag!

This is setup for Foobar2000

Example:

mp3tag

Djay Pro 5.2.9923 on Windows 10.

Oh, it’s not quite as straightforward as that when it comes to RATING. If you’re working with MP3 files, you’re in luck! The standard meta tag RATING is accepted by all programs, except for DJay Pro 5.2. However, when it comes to FLAC files, you’ll need to create your own. The lovely folks over at DJUCED have made it super easy to find all the info you need about their DJ program! Just check out their documentation, and you’ll see that for FLAC files, the rating field is a meta tag called DJUCED_RATING_DATA.
There are also handy meta tags for CUE points and other info. All this data is stored in a file, and if you open it on another computer in DJUCED, you’ll see everything, including the CUE points!

I’m hopeful that the developers of djay pro will consider implementing a similar feature.

It would be beneficial for the library to be more flexible and multiplatform, and it would be ideal if it were not tied to iTunes, Windows Media, and other programs.

Thanks for the additional info and feedback @Zirrex! I’ve passed this onto the devs.

some really good information in this thread… thank you

You’re welcome @laughingman3. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like