Would a Touch Screen Monitor work with djay and Mac Mini?

I’m in the position of spec-ing out a system for a new venue in my area that wants an in-house system and i’ve been pondering options, and I’ve had an interesting thought:
a 27" touchscreen with djay running on a mac mini.
Like this:
https://www.newegg.ca/27-viewsonic-td2760-projected-capacitive/p/N82E16824116133
it would be like a massive iDevice with the hardware capabilities of a desktop…in my mind. Ethernet port for network connectivity (no wireless issues), no battery to be concerned with…not portable…“no controller required”…and possibly more bulletproof.

my question is, does the screen work with djay? would a screen like this work with djay as i believe it should? Has anyone tried this? is anyone ahead of me on this and has put a system like this together already?

@heysoundude, please note that macOS is not a multitouch operating system, so do not expect this setup to work like an giant iPad. Also, our engineering team has no experience with this specific monitor so we cannot comment on whether this will work or not. Most likely, the touch screen will behave like you are clicking with a mouse.

Another important thing to consider is other artists coming to this venue to use the house system. There probably aren’t many DJs out there with experience in “touch screen only” DJing. So, if you go this route, you should make sure the house system also includes a DJ controller of some kind. I hope that helps! Please report back here on what you end up spec-ing and how it all works out. Thanks!

(did you even click the link, @Slak_Jaw ? viewsonic has a youtube vid that newegg posted in that listing if you scroll down…)

It’s not that kind of club (guest djs aren’t part of how it operates), and it seems I need to confirm with apple/viewsonic that the driver for that display enables the multitouch capabilities within/under macOS the retailer’s website seems to indicate is possible.

Thank you. I’ll keep folks here posted.

1 Like

Yes, I did click on the link and read the info. Did some basic Google searches as well. Your best option is to reach out to Viewsonic and Apple for further details. Thanks!