X-Touch Mini Mapping Issues

2020 iPad Air 8th Gen
macOS 17.5.1
djay 5.2.2
Behringer X-Touch Mini
Denon DS1
x1200’s

I have this setup working great apart from one small issue.
To explain, firstly the X-Touch has 3 modes for mapping:
there’s layer A, which seems to be pre mapped to some degree and fuggly to remap a few of the controls.
Layer B I was able to map easily with only one issue - the rotary encoders are not exponential when set to browse/scroll. They scroll great but I can only scroll within a section of about 20-30 tracks and it hits a limit, if that makes sense. Note that in this mode the indicator lights around the pot light up to indicate its position.
Now there’s also a 3rd mode called MC(I’m assuming is midi control). Hold MC whilst powering up the controller and it goes into a blank ready to map setup. In this mode, the indicator light do not function, which I thought great the pots should work exponentially in this mode right?
Well yes they do, but unfortunately the scrolling is very glitchy and I can’t seem to figure out why.
I have them set the the same parameters and sensitivity as I had them in Layer B mode.
To simplify…
They work great in Layer B mode, but with limited travel distance.
In MC mode, they have no travel limit, but work poorly.

I have some but fairly limited knowledge of how midi works so any help with this tricky little issue would be much appreciated.

Hi @Rendrz,

1. For the LED Feedback, please expand the MIDI OUT section and turn on MIDI Out.
  2. For the encoders, you can try expanding the Advance Control Configuration section, then select the Type to reveal some additional options. Depending on your encoders, you may need to select Rotary (01h/7Fh). Rotary (3Fh/41h) or Rotary (Absolute) and then adjust the Speed. In my experience, you need to play around with these options to figure out which one works best with your particular Encoders.

Thanks @Slak_Jaw thats much appreciated and helpful information.
I did try all of those options and have found the most suitable setting for the rotary encoders to be absolute mode; the only issue is they are limited to how far they travel when used to select tracks.
For example, if I turn the rotary encoder, the load window appears and I can comfortably scroll to select a track. If I scroll down 20 or 30 tracks, it won’t let me go any further down the list.
It basically works like a standard limited pot rather than an exponential/infinite pot.
I have looked in the advanced midi out menu as well but am yet to find a solution.
It isn’t a huge problem as I can still use the touch screen, but having this function work correctly would be nice.

You’re welcome @Rendrz. Unfortunately, I can’t think of anything else to suggest without having your actual hardware to experiment with. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

1 Like

No worries @Slak_Jaw thanks for your time helping to try solve this,
I’ll keep at it and post any further findings here as I’d assume the same thing might be an issue on other controllers when setting a rotary encoder to select tracks.
I’ll see if I can’t see any setting for the ddj400 controller’s rotary encoder, because obviously that one works fine. If I find the settings I’ll set the x-touch rotaries the same. If they’re not already the same lol.
As mentioned it’s not a total vibe killer as I can still scroll within about a 30 track range.
Thanks again hopefully I figure it out!

1 Like

You’re welcome. Good luck. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.