5.1.2 with Hercules DJControl MIX stop working randomly.

THanks @Slak_Jaw for the update of 5.1.2.

I did a live gig for about an hour and half and the app didn’t close!! :relieved:

Here’s my configuration:

• Device model: Ipad Pro 12.9, 5th Gen 512GB
  • Version of operating system: 17.3.1
  • Version of djay: 5.1.2
  • Hardware/controllers used: Hercules DJControl MIX with powerbank

Summary of the issue:
About 30-40 mins to my set, the controller wasn’t working/responding anymore. It still connected as the Bluetooth LED wasn’t blinking and the controller doesn’t look like it is on a start up/disconnected mode, but just not responding. I didn’t do any other testing as it was a live set.

After about 10 mins, i unplugged the power to the controller and DJ straight from Ipad. No problems for the remaining 45 mins~. I didn’t want to reconnect the controller during the set.

How to reproduce the issue:
Perhaps, try the setup above.

1 Like

Hi @PoyTB, thanks for the details. This is very helpful.

1. Is your iPad connected to power and charging normally when DJing or are you running off internal battery?
  2. If charging are you using the original Apple power supply and USB cable that came with your iPad?
  3. Please make sure that Low Power Mode is NOT enabled on your iPad.
  4. Are you using the Hercules supplied USB power cable or a different one?
  5. What powerbank are you using for the Hercules? Please share the specs: Wattage, Amperage and Current.
  6. Do you have your iPad set to Do Not Disturb?
  7. Do you have Auto-Lock disabled on your iPad?
  8. Is WiFi ON of OFF while DJing?
  9. Do you have any other Bluetooth devices connected to your iPad other than the Hercules when DJing?
  10. Do you have any other apps running in the background (ex. iCloud sync, auto app updates, Apple Music, etc.)?
  11. Are you DJing in a hot environment or have you noticed your iPad overheating?
  1. Ipad was not connected to any Power. Running on its own battery power. I believe it was around 70% mark when i first plugged in.
  2. Charging - yes, i would use the original Apple power supply and its USB cable that comes with it. But I’m not charging during this session. Due to I suspect the other issues i mentioned and sent the video to you guys earlier (ticket id: 191370)
  3. Never turned this on and currently it is off.
  4. No, I’m not using the Hercules supplied USB cable, not even sure where it is.
  5. powerbank spec: 20,000mAH, 74Wh/3.7v, 5v3A/9v2A, 5v2-4.5A/9V2.2A… 22.2w (max) with another 15w (Max) … the rest are in Chinese, i can’t read them.
  6. Ipad always on DND since the day i got it
  7. Auto-Lock is set to 15 mins. … each song is about 2.30-4 mins and it was not left unattended nor not touching less than 2 mins in between song
  8. Wifi is on but not connected nor streaming, but i do plan to use streaming services in the near future
  9. No. only Controlmix
  10. I don’t believe so as I restarted my Ipad, then I only open Djay right after.
  11. No, aircon was right behind me and I didn’t notice any heat during the session. Also the brightness is set to around 20%.

i hope this helps.

Thanks for the additional details @PoyTB. Sounds like you’re doing a lot of things right. Here are my next suggestions:

1. The first thing I would recommend it to perform a Forced Restart of your iPad (Force restart iPad - Apple Support)
  2. I would definitely try a different USB cable and ideally use the one that came with your Hercules controller. Not all USB cables are created equal. Cheap cables can under perform and fail prematurely. If you can’t find the original, I suggest you look for a high quality alternative (like the one that came with your iPad). I would then run some tests with the new or original cable and the 22.2W power bank from before to see if that solves the issue.
  3. I checked the Hercules DJControl Mix manual and they do not specify any power requirements for the power bank. If steps 1 and 2 above don’t solve the problem, I recommend that you perform some tests with the new/original USB cable connected to a high quality power supply instead of power bank to see if that fixes the issue.
  4. I also recommend you reach out to Hercules tech support to see if there are any known issues with this particular hardware and if they have any firmware updates that you can download and install.

Hi @PoyTB, I’m following up on my post from a week ago. Did you try my suggestions above? Are you still experiencing this issue? If I don’t hear back from you in a couple of days, I will consider this one solved. Thanks!

Thank you for following up on this.

I have had 2 live sets with the exact same setup as before. Each for about 1.30 hours to 2 hours and the controller was working fine.

Please close the thread in the meantime and if i do have issue again, I’ll come back.

You’re welcome. That’s good news. Thanks for the update @PoyTB

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.