Akai AMX sound through mixer on iOS Djay Pro AI 4 -- how?

I am trying Djay Pro AI 4 (Premium) with an Akai AMX mixer. This mixer is midi class compliant btw.

I have a Macbook, an iPad and an iPhone.

On the Mac I connect the mixer with an USB-A/C-adapter and I get sound through the mixer output and its headphone jack/pre-cueing. It works fine.

However on iPhone and iPad it does not work. I first tried the Apple Camera Adapter with an iPad charger + AMX and Djay does not play any sound (only if I set sound output to my iPad/iPhone, but I want it through the mixer of course). I then changed the iPad charger to a stronger charger which could output 3A+ and now I kind of get sound through the AMX output and headphones if my iDevice is set to internal or external in Djay BUT the sound is extremely distorted and sounds completely broken, i.e. not usable.

Any ideas? Why would this mixer work with Djay on Mac but not iPhone or iPad?

Also, if it will simply not work on iOS, is there any chance that it might be fixed through some update or should I just look for another mixer?

Thanks!

I don’t have that controller, but it’s sounding like it’s not getting enough power over the USB connection when connecting to the iPad. It looks like the AMX doesn’t have an external power supply option and can only be powered by USB. Are you using an official Apple camera connection kit with the charging port on it? I’ve used 3rd party camera connection kits before and some simply don’t work. If you are using the official Apple one, I’d suggest trying a higher wattage Apple charger like the one that came with your MacBook.

Hello @Slak_Jaw - thank you for your ideas! Yes, I do use the official Apple camera connector (the “big” one with lightning on the iOS device side and 1 female USB-A + 1 female lightning going out).

I just tried with the original Macbook charger as you suggested and the sound problem is the exact same as with the other, first charger I tried (which actually outputs more power than the Macbook one). The Macbook charger says 30W with up to 3A, the other charger says 65W with up to 3.25A. I use an official Apple cable for power (lightning on one side, USB-C on the other). The iPhone is a 13 Mini and the iPad a 2018 base model.

You’re right about the AMX being completely USB powered, I would just be surprised if it actually needs even more power than what I have tried so far … could that be?

Or could it be that the iPhone/iPad are somehow incompatible with the soundcard in the AMX?

You’re welcome. Sorry that didn’t fix your problem. Sounds to me like it’s simply not compatible with iOS devices.

It could very well be so. Thank you for your help @Slak_Jaw!

I’ll (rudely) ping @NathanielAlgo and @Cam_A as you are Algoriddim staff to ask if you have a database of compatible devices? Can you confirm that the Akai AMX soundcard is not compatible with specifically Djay on iOS/iPadOS? As described above it works fine on MacOS.

I wouldn’t know where else to ask, since I believe there is no longer any manufacturer support provided for this device (released in 2014/15, i.e. “old” in this fast moving world). All I know is that it is USB powered, midi class compliant and natively Serato supported just like other mixers that Djay fully support on iOS. But of course there could be other issues that I am unaware of.

After some more testing I can only assume (with my limited technical knowledge) that the problem indeed comes from Djay somehow.

There is a lesser known mobile DJ app called “DJ Player Pro” for iOS which I tested shortly and … lo and behold, it plays sound through the iPhone → Akai AMX → speakers/headphones, unlike Djay Pro AI. So it appears it is not an iPhone/iPad vs AMX or a power issue after all.

It’s just too bad that nobody from the Algoriddim team answered in this thread, because I really would have liked to continue using Djay. I am very aware that companies - especially nowadays - struggle with customer support (I work in the area myself) but I wish there would be a bit more openness towards subscribed customers. At least just to confirm they have or have not tried it. Maybe it’s not stable enough, or has input lag, or whatever the reason might be…