Akai AMX sound through mixer on iOS Djay Pro AI 4 -- how?

+1 VU meters work. I can share my mapping if interested.

I sort of gave up already but I would still try any alternative mapping you have, cheers.

Yeah the meters work fine for me. I just canā€™t get audio to work through the mixer. So it just ends up being a midi controller instead of a sound card. It could be the power, but I tried a few hubs. One hub has the AMX lit up and ready to go without plugging into the iPad/iPod, which I think means it has enough power, then I just connected it with the camera kit, but still donā€™t get the audio routing through the AMX.

1 Like

I also have VU meters working. And after months and months of testing I can only conclude the same. The AMX soundcard is not working for me in Djay iOS. Iā€™ve tried with LOADS of different cables, bough several different usb hubs (incl. powered), tried with powerbanks and several different other power sources, different Apple Camera adapters, different iPads, different iPhones, the list goes on and on. It just will not work. Also my AMX works 100% in Serato. This is why I think there are different soundcard (hardware) versions of the AMX, since some people here confirm their devices are working perfectly fine in Djay iOS.

If anyone is interested in an AMX I might have one for sale, PM me. :slight_smile:

Now Iā€™ll just have to figure out which mixer to use for iOS/Mac+DVS instead. The only cheap alternative seems to be Numark Scratch (which doesnā€™t look half bad for the price, just too bad about the few cue pads/buttons it has for its size, but itā€™s a budget scratch mixer after all) and the step up from that is probably Reloop Elite (more feature complete) or maybe the Pioneer DJM-S5ā€¦

I just saw I started this thread 2 years ago, wow. Thanks for all the input and help, this community is great.

1 Like

Thanks for all your research! saving me time trying more things. For me, AMX works fine on MacBook Djay. So Iā€™m just using that, but I wish I could use an iPad instead since I like the option of a touch interface.

Another thing I tried to do since the AMX works as a midi controller is try to connect an audio interface to the hub, but for some reason Djay will only recognize one USB device at a time and switch them out when connecting. :frowning:

According to this video, iOS canā€™t handle more than one audio interface apparently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=avDMsyhyd6k

Knowing this, I found out it just switches to the last audio interface plugged into the hub. But I still didnā€™t hear sound for some reason on DJay from the usb audio out UNTIL I quit DJay, then start it back up. Then it played from the usb audio and i still had a midi connection to the AMX. So all that to say, I can now send audio from my iPhone to a usb audio interface and use my AMX to midi control. Not ideal, but something.

I think thereā€™s an issue with using AMX as a sound card where iOS or DJay is just not sending to the right channel. I test this by playing music from spotify and it sends fine to the usb audio card but not through the AMX. In DJay the audio just doesnā€™t route at all when a AMX is plugged in without the restart trick. Hope some of this info helps you guys.

Ok, try one last thing. You have to use the same mapping I use though.

Turn off your iOS device and then turn it back on.

Plug in the camera adapter with the symbols facing up with the screen then plug in power to the camera adapter.

Then plug the amx only then wait till it fully turns on. Only plug your headphones in not your speakers.

Then open the app. And go to the audio settings and make sure you are in internal mixer mode and that the audio is assigned (Main/Pre) to the Amx.

When assigned then use the browse knob to select the track the load it to a deck and then play it.

Then turn the cue mix knob forward and back then do the same with the cue gain and master. Then move the volume fader up and down and move the filter knob back and forth. Also move the xfader too.

Iā€™m asking you to go through these steps to get rid of possible software takeover that might stop the sound from coming out of the app.

Then turn up the volume on your iOS device.

Then headphone cue the track and play with cue mix and cue gain knobs and tell me if you get sound.

Thanks so much, still doesnā€™t play any sound from the AMX. It seems like once the AMX is connected the routing of the audio is messed up, because switching it to even playing on device speaker wonā€™t work. I have to close and restart the app to fix it. A clue that itā€™s a iOS issue is that even without DJay I canā€™t send any audio through AMX even though itā€™s selected as the output. It only works on Mac and not iOS, I assume because MacOS understands how to route the audio correctly or has the ability to use more than one audio device. Thereā€™s not really a lot of options on iOS.