Apple Music Integration - Error Code: 429

Spotify pulled out of the DJ market years ago, apparently after one of their suppliers objected to their music (stream) being used in DJ software.

This is understandable, as the majority of music streaming services are aimed at the domestic consumer for personal use (and that’s stated in their terms & conditions).

Because of this, it’s likely they have some kind of system in place to prevent misuse.

DJs scanning “massive playlists” would appear (from their POV) to be someone streaming tracks rapidly one after the other, rather than the normal practice of playing each track through, then selecting another.

To be honest, as a DJ of many decades experience, I’d say that having more than 100 tracks in a playlist is overkill. Even if you strictly adhere to just that single 100 track list for a gig, you should get at least five hours of playing from it (at 3 mins per track).

I played for three hours yesterday, and went through less than 60 tracks.

1 Like

I’m on 5.1.2 and it’s still throwing the error. First install. Analyzed a playlist of a hundred or so tracks. Now I can’t play anything. iPadPro M2.

The error shouldn’t prevent you playing anything from your own collection. Also, as the posts in this thread state, if you wait and then load/play tracks (or analyse) at a lower rate, it should not occur.

1 Like

Hello everyone. The engineering team is still working on this. I’ll report back here when I have news.

Hello again everyone. This should be fixed in the recently released djay 5.1.3. Please update, test, and let me know. Thanks!

1 Like

I works now without this error code popping up after a while but the track analyzing process seems to be much slower than before. It takes track by track instead of multiple tracks at the same time, as before

1 Like

Yep I noticed that too.

Really interesting… whatever they did to fix the Apple Music bug, has also affected Tidal playlist analysis too. SUPER slow, 1 track at a time!

Trust me, I’m not complaining, happy that the functionality is there and I can just leave it analyzing a playlist overnight before I actually need it.

Another note, for local folders, it doesn’t seem to be limited to 1 track at a time and still analyzes multiple tracks at once.

@Slak_Jaw thank you for moving this forward with the team! If you can provide any color on the reason its going one track at a time, it would be appreciated :pray:

Hi everyone, as you have noted analyzing Apple Music playlists is slower in the new release. This is expected behavior – unfortunately there are certain imposed limits as to how quickly we can analyze Apple Music playlists. Same goes for TIDAL playlists. On the upside analyzing playlists from either streaming service should now more reliably analyze all songs, which was previously not always the case.

1 Like

It’s to be expected. From their end, multiple tracks being streamed simultaneously by the same user is considered “abusing the service”. I know VirtualDJ limits this in a similar way - actually to the point where it’s faster to manually drag tracks to decks one by one than it is to wait for the automated analysis.

Unfortunatly iPad DJAY version 5.1.3 playlist on automix when suddenly after an hour it showd the 429 error and I couldn’t load new tracks. Tracks that where played previously can be played though.

After half an hour everything seems to be working again…

Thanks for the additional info @MRDJ

It’s still happening on my iPad

Prior to the error code appearing, what are you doing?

Analyzing a tracklist

…and the size of that was?

A few hundred but it’s only an issue on the iPad. It used to work on the iPad and it works on my MacBook since the last update, although it’s very slow. While I had this problem of not being able to load or analyze tracks for a while, I could still use Apple Music on my MacBook.

Thanks for the info @Andreas_Haase1. Can you please test with smaller playlists to see if you get the same error? Thanks!

On my iMAC (Big Sur Ver 11.7.10.) Im actually using DJPro 5.1.3 and it happens in this update as well. Mostly when using Automix. The matched songs start swapping around. The Current Playing and the Up Next keep rapidly changing to different songs.Then the Error Code 429 appears. If I stop it and manually load a track and turn on Automix again the 429 error comes back. For me this is happening using my Apple Music playlists only I haven’t tried anything else yet.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.