Beat Grid problems with Djay Pro 2 & 3 + TIDAL Audio Resolution Query

Anyone else experience this… I use the beatgrid lines to visually beatmatch when mixing my DJ sets. I use a BenQ 32" screen that I use with my DDJ1000. When I’m in TIDAL Normal (Recommended) Mode… I place my starter and exit cues with precision… no issues… I then visually beatmatch and yellow lines align at the start of a clean beat… great… but if I change my TIDAL setting to TIDAL HIFI, which I use for all my audiophile listening pleasure… and I import the same tracks the starter and exit cue marks no longer sit at the clean start of a beat… they are off… so when visually beat matching this off grid issue can be very off putting.

Anyone else ever experience this issue. I’m running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 with 128GB RAM on a 12 Core MacPro (Mid 2010) with a Sapphire Pulse RX580 8G graphics card plus 1TB SSD where my apps sit.

Also… how bad is the audio quality of TIDAL Normal (Recommended) as I’m used to listening to MQA music on TIDAL using my Bluesound PowerNode 2i plus B&W 603 S2 Anniversary Edition Speakers… and it just doesn’t have the same all round full sound…? Does anyone know the audio quality for Normal, High and HIFI…? I see on the manual for Djay Pro 2.0 its 96kbps, 320kbps and 1140kbps… is this now also the same for Djay Pro 3.0 ?

Regards,
Anthony

Yes… I might know where the problem is.

When the songs were converted from lossless format to others, there were exporting “errors” i.e. how the exporting algorithm behaves if there is small “silent” part in the beginning of the original song.

So the lossless file might not contain “the silent part” but the low quality doesn’t have it or other way around. For average listeners, they don’t care if there is a small difference, but for dj’s even a small silent part in the beginning of the file will put the whole grid to wrong place.

So for example

• for low quality song version, you move the first marker let say to 00min 10s 00ms , and the file has 2s initial “silent part” in the beginning of the song
  • your high quality song version doesn’t have this silent part => the marker will be still on 00 min 10s 00ms but it will be 2s later than for your low quality song

Draw a picture and you’ll get it :wink:

1 Like

I’ve always had beat grid issues for years.
This specific issue is new to me.
I had an idea years back about a possible solution having djay set the Downbeat Grid to the Start Cue Point if available. I guess this idea is a No Go😏

Hello again…

Does anyone official from Algoriddim ever come on here and give loyal, enthusiastic customers any clear answers or suggestions…?

Regards,
Anthony

I also had problem with Tidal tracks and irregular importing into Djay Pro AI.

My issue is slightly different though.

When I bring a Tidal song into Djay Pro most of the time the beginning of the track is cut off. It’s normally just the first beat.

I can get round this by making sure the correct start point is selected on ‘Set Grid Start’, but it’s still very annoying and creates more work and can throw you off if you’re mixing tunes on the fly.

I am also not able to get even basic quality audio on either a Premium account or HiFi account, which basically renders this platform obsolete for me until this issue is resolved.

I’ve read another thread where many other users are having the same problem with Tidal audio quality.

Regards,
Seb

Hi all,

Thank you everyone for bringing up these issues with beatgrids and TIDAL streaming quality. Our development team is aware of this and are currently investigating. I’ll update this thread should we have any news about it.

3 Likes

Hey Peeps,
Agreed, Tidal works horribly with Djay Pro… No matter how you set up the streaming, the audio is all over the place. Some tracks twice as loud as others, which trim isnt really helping with. Also the beatgrids are off on many many tracks. It makes this platform pretty useless unless ur just at home by urself… then its just annoying as hell. Migrated from Spotify on Djay pro, never had these issues back then… cheaper too!

Hi, I am currently using Djay Pro 2.2.8 on a High Sierra MacBook Pro mid 2012,

The streaming is from Tidal Premiun and generally works well although there are some problems with the grid.

I wanted to know if these problems are solved in version 3 as I would have to upgrade my MacBook Pro system and this is quite cumbersome.

Are there any improvements in relation to Tidal?

Kind regards
Diego

1 Like

Hi Diego,

Streaming works nearly identical in Pro 2 and Pro AI. The issue you’re facing with TIDAL is a known one and we’re investigating it at the moment. I’m sorry I don’t have more information, but obviously we will reach out with any news.

1 Like

I have simple example how this issue can be seen on DjPro side.

1. For strange reason when moving from spotify to tidal, the “playlist move tool” mapped the same song to several different songs. One example of the song is

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/4f9b6fd0-2f6e-4fbf-8663-0bde1ffbcb94

1. Now if analyzed the first track and setup the green marker.

2. Loaded the track 2 to another player, the beatgrids aren’t the same, there is a small difference.

1. If I remove the cue point marker from the track player 1, it will remove the cue marker on the 2nd player as well.

So what this means is:

A) Tidal has several different files for the “same song”, different files for different quality…

B) DjPro will try to “figure out” if the song is the same based on some metadata artist + track name at least…

What this means is that

1. in worst case I can’t have Descpacito-remix as my local file
    => solution I can use different metadata i.e track name like Despacito-Remix-local-file
    => and analyze twice, edit beatgrids twice

2. I can’t change Tidal quality if the “low quality” vs “high quality” if file on tidal side have even small difference on track length (like in example playlist 1-2s).
    => redo analyzis, setting beatgrids etc…

I hoped that Tidal would have been better than Spotify to have only “1 master file” for each track and each quality.

As a software developer I have no idea how this can be fixed easily on djpro.

Altough it would be really good to know if this can’t be fixed or what we can do to avoid these kind of problems while waiting the fix (or at least clear statement that this can’t be fixed in near future 2021).

Hi, i’m struggling with analyzing the songs correctly with Tidal on day pro AI for Mac. As you can see from the picture both songs seem to have beatgrids that are off-beat. This happens to a lot of the tracks I have imported. Is there any solution to fix this? Now I need to manually change each track to get the beatgrid correct which is a pain in the *ss.

Hi @tb93, I’ve moved your topic post over to this already existing thread as it sounds like this may be the same issue you’re encountering. If you think it’s a different issue than what’s described in this thread, please let me know and I’ll be happy to help further.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.