djay 2 iPad - tracks drift where djay 1 is fine

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
DJAY 2, songs are falling out of sync but not with DJAY 1 !.

Hello,

I made a test with 10 songs on djay 1 and djay 2 with an IDJPRO.
The result is the songs are falling out of sync with Djay 2.
It works well with Djay 1 !!!

So i return with using djay fucking 1…

Hello,

somethin new on this topic? I have the same problem and with djay 1 everything is fine.

Regards
Patrick

Can one of you explain the difference in Djay 2 vs Djay 1 of pressing the sync button once vs twice? In 1, a single press syncs perfectly and it lights up. Are you guys saying that a single press now is insufficient?
I realize this has been answered elsewhere Warren but I am still trying to understand the difference of a single vs double sync button push.

Thank you for your reply. I do not understand why the songs should drift in the scenario I outlined above? It seems that you have made manual beat matching harder in v2 than in v1 - what is the benefit of this?

Yes there is perfect sync, but adjusting it is not a convenient way to quickly beat match two tracks. It turns a process which is governed by listening into a process which is driven visually, and it is slower to arrive at the goal.

With djay1 and some care you can get away with mixing without headphones if you need to - absolutely no way that would be possible with adjusting perfect sync by hand.

I can see the value of perfect sync as a new feature, but I do not understand why this should be at the expense of the accurate speed matching which djay1 provided?

Will the team consider fixing speed matching with a single press of the ‘sync’ button?

• Do I understand you guys correctly that the same songs synced properly with djay 1 WITHOUT having to readjust by pitch-bending, but not with djay 2 using “Perfect Sync”?

No this is incorrect. The same songs sync properly in djay 1 with a single press of the sync button and then manual nudging to get them lined up. In djay 2 WITHOUT ‘perfect sync’, a single press of the sync buttons sets them to the same BPM, but the songs run at different speeds. Manually adjusting the BPM can sync the songs, but the BPM readout is in the region of 0.75 BPM different between the two tracks when they are at the same actual speed.

• Was “High Precision Analysis” enabled in djay 1?

Yes

• Also, please name examples (and where to purchase them) of the affected songs

This happens with EVERY pair of songs I have tried. Here is the procedure to reproduce the fault:

1. Select a song on deck A. Start playing.

2. Select another song for deck B.

3. Hit ‘Sync’ once so that the speeds will be automatically set to the same BPM value.

4. Start song on deck B in time with the one playing on Deck A.

5. Nudge using the + / - buttons and listening, to get the tracks perfectly aligned

6. The tracks will drift apart very quickly. On djay 1 they would have stayed perfectly aligned, job done.

7. Now use your traditional DJ skills to adjust the actual speed of Deck B and nudge it back into time with the track on Deck A. You will be able to get them playing perfectly in sync, but the BPM readout for the two Decks will not match, even though they are clearly playing at the same real speed.

I replied to your comment in the thread below, but maybe you didn’t see it:

• Do I understand you guys correctly that the same songs synced properly with djay 1 WITHOUT having to readjust by pitch-bending, but not with djay 2 using “Perfect Sync”?

No this is incorrect. The same songs sync properly in djay 1 with a single press of the sync button and then manual nudging to get them lined up. In djay 2 WITHOUT ‘perfect sync’, a single press of the sync buttons sets them to the same BPM, but the songs run at different speeds. Manually adjusting the BPM can sync the songs, but the BPM readout is in the region of 0.75 BPM different between the two tracks when they are at the same actual speed.

• Was “High Precision Analysis” enabled in djay 1?

Yes

• Also, please name examples (and where to purchase them) of the affected songs

This happens with EVERY pair of songs I have tried. Here is the procedure to reproduce the fault:

1. Select a song on deck A. Start playing.

2. Select another song for deck B.

3. Hit ‘Sync’ once so that the speeds will be automatically set to the same BPM value.

4. Start song on deck B in time with the one playing on Deck A.

5. Nudge using the + / - buttons and listening, to get the tracks perfectly aligned

6. The tracks will drift apart very quickly. On djay 1 they would have stayed perfectly aligned, job done.

7. Now use your traditional DJ skills to adjust the actual speed of Deck B and nudge it back into time with the track on Deck A. You will be able to get them playing perfectly in sync, but the BPM readout for the two Decks will not match, even though they are clearly playing at the same real speed.

Hi Warren - any update? Can you confirm you understand the issue and are able to reproduce it?

Hi thanks for getting back to this thread. Unfortunately, the update seems to have made no difference to the issue, it’s just as bad as before and I cannot use djay 2.

If there is any way I can help with this - providing more information, alpha/beta testing etc please contact me. The first step is for you guys to be able to reproduce the issue your end. Once you can do that you will be able to see whether an update has solved it.

The crazy thing is that this works perfectly in djay 1 for iPad, Mac and iPhone, all of which I use. djay 2 tried to get clever with synching and has become worthless for serious use. So I have wasted my money on djay 2 and will be sticking to djay 1, and recommend others to do the same until this issue is resolved. A shame we miss out on the other nice enhancements in djay 2 though.

To answer your question - yes, you can synch by ear rather than using the synch button, and tracks will stay in time - but the BPM readout for the two well-synched tracks will be different by over 0.5 bpm! And of course you now lose the second most significant benefit of using software - the quick speed matching leaving you to fine tune the beats and with more time to focus on the overall mix.

Warren, this happens with EVERY song! I had given up on this thread as Algoriddim seems to be showing no interest in resolving this issue, however I notice that other people having this problem too so I thought I would give it one more go.

I have contributed clear instructions as to how to reproduce this issue above, and repeated my points and given my time in doing this in the hope that you will listen, take on board and respond, for my benefit, for the benefit of those suffering the same problem and ultimately the benefit of a once-great (v1) but currently fairly useless (v2) product.

Now please do us, your customers, the courtesy of actually trying out the steps I have set out above.

If you need assistance in reproducing the problem please contact me. However please explain what difficulties you are having so I can help you see the issue. At present we just get stonewalled with generic questions like ‘send us more information’.

Excuse the capitals, but I want to be clear: THERE IS NO MORE INFORMATION THAT YOU SHOULD NEED TO REPRODUCE THIS ISSUE SO THAT YOUR DEV TEAM CAN ANALYSE THE PROBLEM!

Thanks

Alex

My experience is that it happens with every pair of songs I have ever tried on djay 2. This suggests to me that the steps to reproduce are not being understood correctly your end. I appreciate that song analysis is complex, but this is something which djay 1 handled perfectly!

For the sake of argument, try synching these two tracks and listen to the drift. Do not use ‘Perfect Synch’. I mean start playing one, use the sync button above the speed slider on the other, bring it in, get them in time and listen to them drift apart.

Blu (Steve Bug & Daniel Dexter remix) http://www.beatport.com/track/blu-ste…

Back 2 Basics feat. Benj (Vinyl Cut) http://www.beatport.com/track/back-2-…

I answered the question about perfect sync 9 months ago in this thread.

Regardless, I just tried exactly the same steps as you and the songs drifted within 10 secs.

What could be different about our setups to cause this?

Mine are as downloaded from the beatport links provided above

The admin on this thread is trying to close the discussion down.

However it is only an ‘old topic’ because we’re still waiting for a satisfactory answer from Algoriddim on this!

The last response was years ago:

> Warren over 3 years ago
> Our developers are still looking into this. We’re coming closer to the cause for this > issue and we’re positive that we can find a solution.

Where is the solution please?

Maybe a small off topic but I need to ask one question.
Warren did algoriddim answer even once for a question of users?
I’m bit confused coz I think I don’t understand the point of this forum.
From around three weeks I started to observe this “forum” and I can’t believe that company (in my opinion good) has no support for users.
I was trying to find answers for few questions and the only thing I can see is that support asking all the time questions but not answering.
With all respect to you guys but something is wrong in that. I can’t believe that you have no testers for your apps. How is it possible that the persons which are testing dj application can’t see this bugs. For me it looks like you wanted to get more money for update. I understand that app is really cheap, but it looks like its half-finished.
People are asking about the fixes and the only thing they hear is “thanks for information” “thanks for reply” and my favourite one “we know about that”.
You are writing that Numark iDJ pro is made for this app, so why is not working properly. You can’t use FXs knob coz sound is dropping down (this problem is 9 months old). Is it not possible to set up app to increase volume by around 15% to align the difference and after pressing it again drop down vol the same?
Djay 2 is like beta version of app. Have you got any testers? If you have the only thing I can say you need to invest for more competent people.
I’m fan of this app but after updates and not fixing any of the most important bugs I’m thinking there is no point of creating different topics about ideas and bug reports because you don’t care about that or maybe I can’t see any proof of caring about your customers. Go and check that if you don’t believe. How many followers have you got for topics with no answe, no fix…
BTW with new update after 15-20 minutes on idj pro light from sync button is turning off. Function works (with bugs) but u can’t see light on your controller.
I checked it and djay 1 works fine but djay 2 not.
After around 30 minutes u can’t set up cue points at the places u exactly want to set. To be more clear I meant that if you press to set up for example cue point number 1 when you pressing controller button nr 1 it’s setting up cue point but not exactly in place u pressed the button. In djay 1 everything is fine so it’s not a fault of controller.
Definitely Djay 2 for iPad it’s only beta version of the product that you are writing in descriptions.
Hope u will not miss understood me…
… I’m saying that to show u some mistakes
I really like djay app but I can’t use all the features it has got with my numark

I sent them video with this problem

wow - same issue exactly. Can I just say that solid timing is ESSENTIAL to DJing, Algoriddim. These apps should even dumb down the UI and colorful graphics just to make the timing ROCK SOLID. After all, and I may be alone in saying this, the sync button is for those who are new to beat matching, right? If I can beatmatch two tracks to my satisfaction, that button isn’t getting pressed so WTF?

did update 2.2 solve sync issue of drifting for you - as it was released nov, 1 and says "improved Synch for 2 identical tracks or is it still occurring and or in a more subtle way

thanks for opening this thread months ago about the drift and thanks all for helping spell it out