Found temp solution to mixon 8 jogwheel tracking issue!

As many of you know, quite a few mixon 8 users have experienced the “frozen track” related to the unit thinking you are touching the top of jog wheel when you are not (often triggered by lightly grazing it or even when nudging the side while beat matching).

One decent workaround another user mentioned is you could toggle jog pitch bend mode so the same glitch wouldn’t stop playback (I.e. turn off scratch mode)

I have experimented and noticed there was different tension in the jogwheel causing trouble vs not, and decided to apply a light symmetric lift force with my fingers (like pulling the jog wheel out of the controller). After this the tension on the jogwheel lightened and the glitch stopped occurring. If I pushed the jogwheel into the controller/downward I could regenerate the issue.

My sense is that hard hand pressure or how you store the unit (if the case compresses the jogwheels) might over time make the scratch surface overly sensitive as if it were jammed into the unit. If this is really the case than maybe this observation could help mixon fix this issue in future models.

Give it a try but of course at the risk of messing up your unit, maybe I was lucky but hopefully this helps others

Try using the jobwheel while touching earth grounding and everything works.
Reloop replaced my unit and based on the release notes from the most recent firmware, they likely has changed to an updated version of the capacitive jogwheels.

Thanks for sharing @17mics and @Kasper

@Kasper Did you have a sense that the replacement you got is fundamentally different in any way or updated? any noticeable changes visually suggesting it is an updated model? i.e. do we have confirmation that there is a “gen 1” and now “gen 2” so to speak of the Mixon 8? Thank you for your help

No visual difference but my left jogwheel now works as intended.
The faulty device was upgraded to 5339 which did not resolve the issue with the left capacitive jogwheel not really being capacitive. Reloop replaced it with a new tested version.

Release notes from latest firmware, indicates something has changed.
version 5339 (14th June 2024)
• Auto-detection was added due to a VR component change in the latest production batch

Thanks @kasper. Did they tell you they were specifically sending a new tested version? I am returning mine to retailer and want to get a new one but I can’t reliably figure out how to know if I am getting a “new” version or not. Reloop support hasn’t responded to my message :confused: any advice?

1 Like

First of all the reloop mixon 8 controller is in my opinion by far the best controller for djay, but there are some QA issues with especially left jogwheel.

That said reloop actually was very helpfull sorting it out

Long story short, I bought my controller from musicstore.de who rejected to refund me or make a warranty claim even though reloop confirmed the controller was defective. Instead reloop sent me a new tested replacement, which has worked flawless.

The box was labeled “tested” and the box was resealed when I received it.

3 Likes

Great outcome Kasper. Really pleased you got it sorted. I agree it’s a great controller.

@Kasper Do you recall when you got this new one? I called a store near me and they said the latest shipment they got was from march this year so probably going to pick that up if you get this sorted out before then. Thanks! And agree its great controller which is why I am returning my defective one to get a new one :slight_smile:

Got the replacement mid July.
It came with firmware 5339

1 Like

I remember the [
Mixars Primo DJ Controller having this problem, some sort of static thing, they never got it resolved and went out of business lol