High CPU - Monterey (12.2.1) - Djay Pro AI (3.1.10)

Just opening the app and doing nothing - not loading any songs (i.e. just having the app sit there in the background) causes high CPU and the machine’s fan to scream.

As I write this, activity monitor is reporting that it’s using 52% CPU.

Performance in-app is ok, apart from the occasional visual lag and very rare audio glitching.

But streaming my mix (or, really, doing anything else with the app open) is right out. Even opening beatport in chrome to search for songs is super slow unless I close Djay first.

Machine Specs:
Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Processor: 2.5 GHZ Quad-core i7
Ram: 16gb 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB

The machine is 7-years old… is it just too old to expect better performance than this? Have M1 optimizations essentially hosed x86 performance? Some other known issue?

I’m a developer so if I can help debug or dig into anything deeper here, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi @asymptosy,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this. Sorry to hear about the high CPU issue with djay.

Thanks for providing all the specifics of your setup. I’ve reported this to our Development Team to determine if there’s anything additional I can have you check or that they’d suggest. I’ll get back to you here as soon as I hear back from them.

In the meantime, this similar thread may point you in the direction of some helpful Mac optimization tips (for DJ apps in general).

I’ve had the exact same 2015 Mac.
The fan ran all the time.
Has to be that Mac , which also ran even slower each time I updated the Os.

None of this helped (or I’d already done much if it), but thanks for sharing anyway.

Has to be that Mac , which also ran even slower each time I updated the Os.

Yeah. This reflects my experience as well. I upgraded my OS hoping performance would improve and it got worse.

I’ve begun the regrettable transition to serato pro.

Pain moving all of my cue points over and serato’s beatgrid is no where close to as accurate as djay’s - interface isn’t as slick etc, track doesn’t dim on fade out - could go on and on about the ways djay is better than serato - but my machine runs smooth as silk and cool and quiet w/ serato and I can stream simultaneously, which is huge.

Will certainly give djay another try if I get an M1 Mac.

Thanks for your feedback, and sorry to hear about the outcome in this case. Nevertheless, I’ve passed the information you’ve provided about your experience to our Development Team so that we can continue to make optimizations to improve CPU usage and energy efficiency when using djay.

Your feedback helps us to keep improving, so thank you again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.