Inconsistent beatgrid with same bpm

Hello.

I have been witnessing what I think is a problem, but could be related to an incorrect assumption on my end. If you have two tracks with the tempo adjusted to the same one, you should be able to easily match the beat grid, right? (assuming no changes in tempo)
Even if the breatgrid does not perfectly match the song’s beat (which is not the case), as long as it is fixed it is a matter of mathematics, as far as I’m concerned.

In older tracks, with no mention of using fluid beatgrid, I see this very often when I try to beat-match two old tracks:

Is this a bug, or what am I missing here? Even with Sync on, the “fastest” track keeps adjusting itself to the other’s grid, creating a mess.

You’re trying to mix 117 with 126? That’s quite extreme IMO.

Generally, old tracks do not have steady tempos, so you really do need to use Fluid Beatgrid and sync with those - and yes, you will see the waves/grids play catch-up.

I have noticed two different approaches to beat grid and sync across several dj softwares. Sometimes even two approaches within the same software ie Serato

1. In DVS mode Serato does not stretch or shrink the grid spacing to reflect the bpm match but the grids line up at the play head marker. So visually you will notice one grid playing catch up to the next

2. In controller mode (serato dvs option disabled) - the grids shrink/expand to reflect the sync. So the tracks grid look lined up across the waveform display

Could this be what you are experiencing?

+1, @Mufasa!

I experience a similar thing with (pls don’t laugh, ok?) my “absolute beginner”-software “DJuced” & my “Hercules”-controller: While the tracks are clearly audible running in sync, the grids on my screen are not; it looks a bit as if one track is running ahead, with the other one desperately trying to keep up…

I do, however, remember that at the dawn of djay Pro, my screen looked equally confusing - often, I would have set the grid manually with one of the tracks, and thus the beatmarkers I set would be ever so slightly off… this is how I learned an important lesson imho: if in doubt, disregard the screen & go by the beats! After all, we’re making music here, aren’t we?:crossed_fingers::wink:

1 Like

Hi @ChesterLP, please note that those tracks are using Dynamic beatgrids, so it’s expected that the distances don’t exactly match up with the displayed BPM.

with no mention of using fluid beatgrid

You can see whether the beatgrid is using Straight or Dynamic via the BPM edit popup.

as long as it is fixed it is a matter of mathematics, as far as I’m concerned.

Your understanding is correct, assuming a fixed (mathematically equidistant) beatgrid, which is only the case if the Straight grid is selected. In this case, the grid distances are not equal everywhere, since the song is dynamic.

Understood. I thought it was fixed as I couldn’t see the new bpm “tags” on this song. I think having some kind of label would help in some cases like this one.

Thanks a ton!

You’re welcome @ChesterLP