MIDI (but not audio) connection to Controller is lost when iPad suspends--have to relaunch app to recover.

iPad Pro (11-inch) 3rd generation, running iOS 15.0.2 (but happened in iOS 14 as well). Using the official apple av multimedia usb-c connector/hub (the white one with with HDMI, usb, usb-c power connections). Reloop Mixtour.

When the iPad screen shuts-off and the iPad goes into sleep/suspend mode upon waking it up again the MIDI connection to the Mixtour is almost always lost (but not 100% repro), note that the audio/soundcard connection over the same usb cable DOES still work (I’ve never seen it not re-connect).

I have to close and relaunch djay pro ai to recover and get the MIDI part of the controller to work again.

This is extremely annoying, made worse by the fact that djay on iOS doesn’t restore many of its settings between launches (effects settings, pitch mode, etc…)

This is the same with the Rane One Controller…

The only workaround is to set your iPad screen Auto Lock to “never”

I too wish that the App remembered it’s last settings upon restart…

perharps it would be better if Djay add the ‘no sleep’ feature as an option (some apps have this option).

1 Like

That could be a user option perhaps, but certainly is not the ideal solution. I leave my equipment set up all the time and have it set to sleep off after 2-15 minutes of inactivity depending on whether I have it connected to power…I use my dj setup off grid at a cabin often with no 120V power supply available-- just a small solar system, and not suspending would kill the iPad battery when it is unplugged. And if I’m just working on setting cue points I expect to be able to leave the system and come back to it later in the same state. if I didn’t want the iPad to sleep I would set it up that way in the iOS settings. Algoriddim should understand and fix the underlying MIDI device reconnect bug and have it behave like a proper iOS app before considering a fairly brute-force workaround the doesn’t actually solve the underlying problem.

Hi @serotonic, Thanks for bringing this to our attention and our sincere apologies for the delay in responding on this thread.

Our team is currently gathering more details from you via email to be able to reproduce the MIDI connection issue you’ve described, and we’ll also keep this thread updated when we have any new updates to share.

Hi @serotonic, I know it’s been a little while, but this other Community thread brought to mind the issue you’ve had and I was curious if this workaround may solve the connection problem with your Mixtour. Could you give it a try and let me know?

From Rane One - not being recognised by default

I haven’t seen many issues with this lately…perhaps apple quietly fixed this in an update…I’ll try that and keep an eye on it…thanks.

1 Like

It just happened to me again…so that setting doesn’t seem to make any/much difference.

Also when I responded to the automated email it made 6 copies of my response and posted them here…oh my.

Thanks for giving it a try… too bad that didn’t solve the problem but it’s promising at least to hear that you’ve not noticed the issue too much lately (even though it sounds like it’s still occurring!).

Regarding the many copies of your response, this is something that happens from time to time and we haven’t yet been able to figure out why that’s the case. I’ve since cleaned up the thread as you can see, but this may be a bug we’ll have to report to Discourse. Thanks again for your feedback!

The last few days I get this very consistenly first thing in the morning after the iPad has “slept” over night.

Has your test team actually tried this test with an M1 iPad Pro and the Mixtour? Last I heard you had only tried it with an iPad Air, which doesn’t have the M1 chip. I find it fairly hard to believe that you can’t repro the problem…it isn’t particularly difficult, and a friend has the same problem too on a similar setup, and I’ve tried two different Mixtour units with this iPad.

I currently have the “USB Accessories switch set to on”, the Auto-Lock is set to 15 minutes, and Lock/Unlock is On, but I never close the magnetic iPad cover so that last setting probably doesn’t matter.

Thanks.

We’ve been trying to reproduce this, but haven’t been able to yet. Thanks for the additional information about how it happens fairly consistently after the iPad has “slept” over night. I’ll keep you updated here with any news about this.

This problem also happens with the Mixon 4 on iPad Pro’s with the M1 chip.

Could I please get you to acknowledge that you have actually tried to repro this with an iPad Pro M1, the apple AV adapter and a Mixon or Mixtour? Last I heard you had only tried it with a iPad Air, not the new iPad pros. Thank you.

Sorry to hear this is also happening with the MIXON 4. I’ve seen that you’re currently in touch with our Support Team via email about this particular issue, and I’d encourage you to continue the conversation over there so we can hopefully push this to a resolution.

I’ll also update this thread with any updates as they are available. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention and for continuing to share your findings!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.