Mixon 8 Pro - review

At least it came. Do a post on updating firmware

I just got my Mixon 8 on Friday, but I can’t get it to work on my iPad or Mac. I first upgraded the firmware, I updated iOS and checked to see if I had the latest djay pro.
I’ve connected it with every combination of cables and nothing works.
When I connect it, the only controls that respond in the interface are the the crossfader and the other four faders. And the screen doesn’t work either.
I switched from a Mixon 4 to the 8, and the 4 was working fine.
Is there anything I’m missing to get it to work ?

1 Like

@cristiana make sure you have your input sources for each channel switched to the appropriate USB-A or B that your device is connected to.

Yup, that was the fix. I read the docs and that either wasn’t there or not prominent. It should have been noticeable, because it is different from the 4.

1 Like

@cristiana well I’m glad that helped you. You weren’t the only one with the same issue.

So after all my talk, I decided to get the Reloop Mixon 8 instead of the FLX10. My gut feeling is that native support won’t be coming for the FLX10 anytime soon.

Anyway, I’m not super happy with the default mapping for the Mixon 8. Contrary to my previous assumption, SHIFT + TAP does not toggle between FX Mode and Neural Mix mode. This is unfortunate, as a toggle mode like with the performance pads would have been much nicer than the SHIFT layer implementation. I tried out a bunch of different options and I think I’ve come up with the best compromise given the current firmware limitations. If you’re interested, you can check out the mapping here:

2 Likes

It’s pretty easy: Reloop Mixon 8 Pro - How to update the Firmware? Did You Know? (Tutorial) - YouTube

2 Likes

The Shift + Tap doesn’t seem to be toggling between Neural Mix and Effects Mode. I have engaged the effects but can’t seem to get the Neural Mix to engage. I’m using the new Mixon 8 w/ a new Ipad Pro

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the Mixon 8 supposed to charge the ipad or mac?

1 Like

@ed-dj I can confirm that the Mixon 8 Pro charges the iPad or iPhone when connected to the USB-C jack on the unit. Not sure about Mac, but I’m pretty sure I recall someone at Reloop saying the USB-C provides enough power to charge a MacBook as well. Just make sure you’re using a high quality USB-C to C cable that’s capable of power delivery.

1 Like

@Bryan_Swan yeah, contrary to what the manual says, this is not how it was implemented for djay. There is no toggle mode between FX and Neural Mix in the current firmware version. I ended up remapping the 3 FX knobs so they control Neural Mix EQs. Then I moved the FX W/D to a Shift layer. Not as nice as having a proper toggle mode like with the Performance Pads.

1 Like

I reached out to Reloop about the mapping issues and they confirmed that they are aware of the issues and should be fixed with a DJay update coming soon.

2 Likes

Reloop just released a firmware update along with djay 4.1.9

1 Like

It has finally landed in my country. Going to pick it up this week.

@Slak_Jaw and others, can you please post some comments on the audio quality? I found exactly zero reviews online saying anything meaningful on the topic.

I’m especially interested in a comparison with the Mixon 4 if that’s possible, as I was a bit underwhelmed with the audio interface(s) (e.g buzzing on the headphone, sharp mids) in that one.

@Mister_Tuur I’m afraid I can’t provide much in the way of side-by-side audio quality comparison since I only have a Reloop Ready available to me at the moment. Quality is definitely better than the Ready, but that’s not saying much as the audio quality on the Ready is certainly not spectacular.

Having said that, I’m very happy with the Mixon 8 sound quality. No headphone buzzing or sharp highs on my unit at least. Output level is clean and loud to my ears.

Cheers mate. Much appreciated!

2 Likes

Hi there!

I’m looking to purchase the Mixon 8 Pro as an upgrade for my Reloop Beatpad2 (which I have loved). Can anyone tell me if the Recording function works in the software with Mixon 8 Pro? I’m asking as it does not work with my Pioneer DDJ-SX3.

Cheers Mark

1 Like

@Mark_Fuller yes, the recording function in djay Pro AI works with the Mixon 8 Pro. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the recording function in djay is 100% independent of the connected hardware.

Please note, however, that internal recording in djay is disabled when using streaming services due to licensing restrictions. If you want to record your set while using tracks from streaming services you’ll need to use an external recording device.

Thanks @Slak_Jaw. Great to know as it does not work with my Pioneer DDJ-SX3 and displays “External Mixer” when plugged in. That’s not the case with my Beatpad2 that is 100% supported.

1 Like