Mixon 8 v DDJ-FLX10

I have been using Djay app with the Reloop Mixtour with iPad for years but am considering upgrading to a full controller and possibly using with Djay on a Mac. I am between the Reloop Mixon 8 and the Pioneer DDJ-FLX10. I was more or less settled on the Mixon 8 as the best controller for Djay Pro, but am now tempted by the FLX10 given it is closer to club gear and it is now natively supported by the Djay Pro app. Is the support complete? Do the FLX10 on jog displays show the various options when used with Djay Pro, or are they limited to the single display as per Mixon 8? Are there any compromises with the mapping of controls? Would appreciate any comments and advice.

1 Like

If I had to pick from the two, I would go with the FLX10, it’s around $500 dearer but I think it’s a better built unit, Quite a few people have had issues with their Mixon 8.
Dj Pro doesn’t support the FLX10 jog screens however.

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s helpful. I wasn’t aware of problems with the Mixon 8. Will dig deeper. When you say the FLX10 jog screens are not supported by DjayPro, do they display the metrics as per Mixon 8 and not the multi options or are they completely blank?!

Basically, I think it’s good that more and more people are looking outside the Pioneer universe. In my opinion, however, basic things that have basically been tried and tested for generations should be retained. In this respect, I think the Mixon 8 is the better choice overall, but the mirrored layout bothers me personally. Ultimately, it’s just a question of habit, but I know from my own experience that many people find it difficult. If you are just starting out and have never worked with anything else, you will certainly have a different opinion.

4 Likes

I couldn’t tell you about the exactly what the screens show but it’s listed on the Dj pro website,
I have a Reloop buddy and feel the quality is really cheap, albeit it was a cheap controller but I have since picked up a Denon Prime Go and although it is much dearer, the quality is impeccable.

1 Like

Do you do 4 deck mixing. I had the Mixon 8 and loved it but I had to send 2 units back. I now have pioneer rev 6 and the implementation is so good. I prefer it over Mixon 8.

1 Like

Very useful comment, thanks. I would like to be able to do 4 deck mixing, hence comparing these two controllers.

Thanks for this. I hadn’t spotted this list of not currently supported features at the bottom. Presumably if it was easy to implement Algoriddim would have been supported the jog displays with this release.

Rane four jogs are implemented but only works windows or mac. If you’re looking to use on mac I round go with Rane Four or at least check it out.

3 Likes

Hi @HenleyBranch, I personally own a Reloop Mixon 8 Pro and have had zero issues with it. The integration with djay is excellent and I don’t mind the mirrored layout. Build quality has been great for me, but I do know that some users in this community have had issues with their jog wheels.

3 Likes

Hi @Slak_Jaw, thanks for the response. Good to know as I am between the two, although @Dysfunk_DJ has suggested checking out the Rane Four. Which I will do. As a staffer, when Algoriddim say that DjayPro does not currently support FLX10 jog displays, are your developers working on this integration in a future release, or is there a reason that it is not possible and are therefore FLX10 jog displays are actually never going to be supported?

You’re welcome @HenleyBranch. Unfortunately, the Pioneer DJ FLX10 jog displays need to be unlocked by the hardware manufacturer via a firmware update. We recommend that you reach out to them and request this directly. The more users they hear from the better. Thanks!

1 Like

Will do @Slak_Jaw. Thank you for this information. I presume Algoriddim have also requested this unlock from Pioneer officially?

You’re welcome. Absolutely we have.

1 Like

I got the Mixon 8 last year because of its tight integration with DJay. I would highly recommend it

I’ve had a few issues, however, and I’ve seen a lot of people complain online about issues / defective units. Most of my issues were resolved when I upgraded from Intel to M2 MacBook. Now, I have an issue with the left jogwheel “slipping” when I try to cut/scratch. Probably a defective unit, but I got it used so I’m kinda stuck.

In summary: get the Mixon 8 cos it is fantastic with DJay. Just get it NEW so you can return / swap it out if you get a bad unit.

1 Like

I echo getting a new one I would even ask the dj store to test it for you. If they would before they post it out.

Thanks @thecovenantchild. Useful advice. I nearly bought a used Mixon8 last week but the seller withdrew on eBay (when they realised eBay’s %) which precipitated me rethinking my decision and my question to the community. Still undecided as to which of the three Mixon - FLX10 - Rane. But going to buy new.

1 Like

Reliable and unbroken Mixon would be the top choice but it does seem a risk, then Rane Four.

I have owned both. Really, really liked the Mixon. Agree with @Slak_Jaw above. I like the paddle FX, big jogs, and i actually kinda liked the mirror layout.

I bought the FLX10 simply because i wanted to use Pioneer gear. No judgement either way, just my decision. And i realllllllly like it. I should add that i also switched to Rekordbox. The stems integration is amazing, especially the ability to apply FX to certain stems individually.

I should ALSO add that i just bought an RX3 bc i want the standalone option. But i should say that there are compromises with RX3… it’s missing some cool stuff that FLX10 and Mixon have.

There is no perfect solution. Just get the one that satisfies the things you want most.

I agree with most points but not the Rekordbox stem integration as the Mixon 8 also isolates each stem for effecting plus stems just sound rubbish in Rekordbox. Like you say each to thier own.