Please Allow Spotify OFFLINE

MUST HAVE… spottify offline… if so, i’ll be buying the mac version and some hardware. but for now it’s just having home fun with the ipad version.

Wholeheartedly agree! We gotta have Spotify offline for djay…

How can djay access iTunes but not Spotify? Essentially they are both mp3’s existing as a file on my iPad. I’m put off buying any hardware and taking this software to a professional level until this is an option. I’m actually going to add this opinion as an app review as I believe it’s a major flaw that really needs to be sorted.

The only to get action is in numbers. Best thing to do is put a 1star rating on the djay 2 app with the above opinions listed. They will act once the ratings are that low that nobody wants it.

Yes. Good point. The app has the potential to be monstrous! But only if Algoriddim allows it to be. I am a peacock! You gotta let me fly!

It’s Warren, he’s shooting up the place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK-AB…

How do you know it’s 96?

We need offline support for spotifiy, or pro usage is technically flawed.

Come on, give us what we what!

Oh my. Sold. Thank you!!!

So sad! I was so exited planning to buy djay but knowing offline mode is non available it’s just useless. Call me when it’s fixed…

Pulselocker shut in November

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/a…

I’m amazed at how caustic this conversation has become (as if Algoriddim has personally offended people, kidnapped their children, etc. by not implementing such “simple and essential” functionality). Claims like “because you can do it with iTunes, of course you can do it with Spotify” or “I can’t believe you haven’t made this a top priority” are ignorant and insulting.

So, as a developer myself and in the interest of defending the hard-working Algoriddim dev team a bit, let’s set the record straight.

The Short Version

Algoriddim can only cache data if Spotify allows it. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Spotify app (built by Spotify) can cache that same data.

The Long Version

1. “Sandboxing” refers to how apps can communicate/transfer/etc. their data between one another. In this case, it’s simple: iOS will not allow you to transfer arbitrary data from the Spotify app to djay – period. It’s irrelevant if you’ve downloaded offline tracks within the Spotify app; Apple’s OS restrictions prevent that cached data from being transferred to djay. Done. This isn’t Algoriddim’s fault; Apple made the decision and Apple owns the ecosystem.

2. If we consider how djay currently grabs Spotify data – via a direct connection to Spotify’s API (by means of their iOS SDK, I’m assuming) – then it’s easy to understand that caching within djay can only occur through that same API. A quick glance at the SDK reference guide shows some promising signs that Spotify allows caching of its data. That said, (a) the documentation is sparse, (b) it’s unclear exactly what may be cached, and (c) it may be the case that even if this is possible, Spotify restricts which developers can use the functionality (they’ve been known to do this in the past).

So, gang: let’s all just chill out a bit. Algoriddim is working their butts off and have provided a staggering amount of functionality to this app; they do not deserve the unfounded criticism (or condescending tone) they’ve received. Being able to DJ any track on Spotify anywhere, anytime, without any regard to network connectivity is a heavy-duty request that would have been downright laughable just a few years ago. Perhaps you should consider buying the tracks you need for offline iTunes usage if this is so crucial to you.

If you continue to feel the need to make your voice heard, might I suggest that you (politely) inform Spotify of how much this would mean to you? They control the API, which means they control how easy (or feasible) it is for djay to incorporate functionality like this.

Hi Everyone,

First off, thanks for your feedback.

You should probably know that due to “sandboxing”, a security feature for your own protection, apps have absolutely no access to each other’s workspace. This means that djay has absolutely no access to the songs you download in the Spotify app. These songs are only available for the Spotify app itself.

djay currently does not support offline playlists, but we’ll be sure to take a look into this.

(1) djay and Spotify are 3rd party apps, where as iTunes and the Music app are developed by Apple and belong to the system. As an integral part of the system, iTunes (Music app), can offer a system-wide API for other apps to access the music content on your device.

(2) The songs you download from Spotify are most likely in a proprietary and encrypted format that only the Spotify app can read.

We understand and fully agree that adding support for offline songs would be a great improvement. But please note that we can only add things that are possible, and that just isn’t the case at the moment.

We also investigated if the new features in iOS 8 would offer any possible solutions to this, but unfortunately none of the new features can be applied/used to solve this.

Hi Steve,

We’ve investigated this and unfortunately, none of the features in iOS 8 offer a solution.

Sorry, no changes in this regard. There’s still no way for 3rd-party apps to offer offline support.

This question has already been answered previously. Unfortunately, the new iOS 8 features offer no possible solution. There’s simply no way for us to offer offline support at this time. Rest assured that we’ll keep an eye out for this.

This is not a “bug”. There is currently no way for us to offer offline support at the moment.

Spotify is good and all, but rarely you can rely on internet when DJing. Even if it’s a home party.

To me, having it playing offline songs from Spotify is what actually would make sense and interesting.

I don’t know much about developing, "sandbox’ and whatever. But not only it access iTunes library (as wynmjones), as it connects to other apps like DropBox, loading songs from and to…

So, would be realy neat if you guys look into this ASAP.

This is so exciting and could really change my workflow. But out of four nightclubs I dj at every week. Only one has a good WiFi connection which I will be testing tomorrow. I would have to ask the managers to extend the WiFi especially for me . This isn’t practical . Please we need this OFFLine dealbreaker asap !!