Quantize of Hot cues not working well.

Why is there sometimes a delay with Quantize when you hit Hot Cues. It completely mucks up the transition. I’ve tried turning it off, tapping bpm, re analysing. I’m so fed up. Is it me or the software?

I’ve noticed that if I have sync enabled that I encounter this issue sometimes, not as much since I purchased a newer iPad Pro though.
What device/controller are you using? This might help someone on the forum to advise you on a solution.

1 Like

Hi Tony, I’m using a buddy controller and iPad Pro version 17.3.1

do you mean a delay or with quantise on then if you press a little late it snaps to the beat later than the down beat? does that make sense? I have been asking with to change this since I started using DJay (which is only a few months ) but I have seen other ask.

this is the thread I started.

1 Like

Nice setup! That should adequately do the job, couple of more questions,
what settings are you using for your quantization?
Is sync enabled when you have this problem?

I understand your frustrations, but please don’t let this discourage you from discovering all the possibilities that Djay Pro has to offer, I’ve been DJ’ing for over 2 decades and this app has been one of the most exciting things within the DJ realm that I’ve experienced since getting my first set of turntables or even my first major booking.

You’ve come to the right place to find a solution.

1 Like

I’ve tried it with sync, without, 4 beat, 1 beat. It just seems every day I have an issue and can’t complete a 40 min mix without this issue. It would be great if you could suggest anything else I need to do, turn stuff on, turn off etc cos I’ve now lost the plot and thinking of looking elsewhere…

It’s difficult to say exactly what you should do without seeing what you’re experiencing at this point.
If you could post a video, I’m sure that some of us can help you to get this right.

This is a video that despite my experience, really helped me to nail in the hot cue timing:

1 Like

Cheers Tony. Will do tomorrow

Hi @djqueenvic, I’ve merged your other topic with this one as they sound closely related. Please refer to the discussion above and let me know if that helps explain things. Note that the way Quantize works with Hot Cues in djay is a little different than with other software. If you are slightly late on your Hot Cue press, djay will jump to the next beat instead of the closest beat/previous beat.

With hot cues I always hit on the beat before. It used to work perfectly, but so often delays 2-3 beats later and on those occasions doesn’t synchronise with the rhythm, so sounds off.

1 Like

Hi Nubiam, with quantize I always hit the hot cue on the beat before, but so often it snaps 2-3 beats later

Ps. I must say I’m loving all this interaction. It’s really got me persevering. :heart:

1 Like

Yes, this is a fantastic forum

1 Like

Thanks @tony_foo_yong will check it out!

@djqueenvic,

1. It sounds like your quantize size might be set too high. I would change it to 1 or a fraction of that to see if it helps.
  2. Also, go to Settings>General>SYNC MODE>Beat Sync Interval and set it to 1 Beat
1 Like

Ok @Slak_Jaw I play a lot of disco with live instruments. Will that make a difference too?

@djqueenvic the type of music shouldn’t make a difference, but it’s possible this may have something to do with a dynamic beatgrid.

1. Can you please try testing this with a house track that you know has a stready beatgrid and see if your hot cue timing is better?
  2. What are the specs of your iPad?
  3. Are you using a streaming service or songs stored on device?
  4. When you navigate to Settings>Advanced>NEURAL MIX>Quality what is the %?
1 Like

Neural mix is 80%. Re the house tracks, have it with those too: Roisin Murphy’s Can’t Replicate and Jake Shears Doses. Trying again with new settings…ok seems better. Hitting hot cue fraction of a sec before required beat. Is that what you were aiming for?

Thanks for the additional info. Sounds like it was your quantize settings and not an issue with dynamic beatgrids and live instrument tempo fluctuations. Keep testing with the new settings and let me know.

2 Likes

I know for myself, when I switched from Traktor to djay Pro years ago, it took me a little while to adjust my hot cue timing with how djay works. Now I simply don’t notice it.

2 Likes