Reloop Mixon 8 - Ultimate STEMS Mapping

@XEFER I’m not sure what you mean by FX Filters. Are you talking about Pad FX on the iOS touch screen?

1 Like

Yep that’s what I meant. Is that only way to use FX since the FX knobs can’t be mapped yet?

@XEFER only the FX paddles on the Mixon 8 are not MIDI mappable. These are essentially “hardwired” to turn the FX On/Off and they work as expected. The rest of the FX section buttons and knobs are MIDI mappable.

Also you can MIDI map one of the performance pad sections on the Mixon 8 to Instant FX if you want.

In addition to that, if you would like to have Pad/FX Filters (as you say) on the Mixon 8 hardware, you could also MIDI map this. Basically you need to use the Duplicate feature in MIDI Learn to map the FX Parameter to your Filter knobs. Then when you want to apply FX and Filter at the same time you just need to turn the FX On with the paddles then turn the Filter knob.

Thanks for consistently helping me. You’re a legend.

Unable to get the FX1 button to toggle the FX for deck 1 with factory settings. Would you happen to know off hand what I should change these to?

1 Like

Knobs appear to be read, but the on/off button doesn’t appear to be working with the above mapping settings

1 Like

@XEFER yeah, actually I forgot to mention, that the way the FX Knobs and the Buttons below them work is a bit unusual. It appears the Knob and Button share the same MIDI CC assignment. I believe this was done to ensure proper function in combination with the FX Paddles.

Using Deck 1, FX1 as an example, this is what ended up working for me:

1. Duplicate the FX1 Knob (CC 0) MIDI command by sliding left on it and selecting Duplicate.
  2. Select the new CC 0 item directly below the original.
  3. Expand the Advanced Control Configuration and change the Type from Fader / Knob to Button.
  4. Set the Target to Deck 1 and the Action to FX 1 Enable.
  5. Repeat this process for FX 2 and FX3 on all for Decks.

Note that I changed the default FX Wet/Dry Knob assignment to Neural Mix EQ’s as I think this works better. Since I normally keep W/D set to 100% I put that on the Shift layer. Also note that I remapped the encoder to control the FX Parameter for all 3 FX. For me this works really well.

UPDATE: Revised STEMS Mapping for Firmware 49.36

I fixed my mapping to work with the new firmware. Please note, however, that I have also changed the default Performance Pad assignment. I will not be making a version of this mapping with the default pad assignments, so if those are important to you, this mapping is NOT for you.

Reloop Mixon 8 Pro SJ3.djayMidiMapping (311.2 KB)

Here are the new pad assignments:

1. Hot Cue remains unchanged
  2. Pitch Play remains unchanged
  3. I replaced Loop Roll with Saved Loops
  4. Saved Flip with Bounce Loops
  5. Saved Loop with Instant FX
  6. Slicer with Sampler
  7. Sampler with Looper tracks 1 & 2
  8. Scratch Bank with Looper tracks 3 & 4

This worked. However, in order to trigger the FX1 ON I have to turn the (DRUMS) knob all the way to the right. Clicking on the FX1 button doesn’t enable it, but am able to turn off the effects by clicking on the FX1 ON button below dedicated knob.

I went ahead and inverted the knob so that I’m able to turn it on with the lowest effect first… Are you experiencing the same outcome?

That’s because the default mapping for the FX knobs is to control FX Wet/Dry. This is essentially how much of the FX comes through. All the way to the right is 100% Wet. So, it sounds like it’s behaving normal. Like i said before I typically keep W/D at 100% and never change it.

Also to turn the FX ON you need to press the button below the FX Knob and flip the FX paddle ON.

I think for you, you’ll probably be happier if you map the FX Knobs to control FX Parameter instead of FX Wet/Dry

1 Like

Great looking out! Thanks Slak

1 Like

Sorry for daft question but will user mappings work with djay pro on iPad? I’m looking at a new controller as getting fed up with Traktor not delivering.

@Dysfunk_DJ yes, user mappings work with iPad. You can also often use the same mapping for Mac and iPhone.

1 Like

Lovely thanks. With default mapping can you apply effects to stems with AI? Some issues with it I believe?

@Dysfunk_DJ I found the original default mapping to have several issues. I believe some were addressed with the recent firmware and djay updates, but I’ve fully embraced my own mapping which works much better for me. I’m not using the new default mapping so I’m not sure how well it applies FX to the STEMs now.

The main disappointing thing, even with the latest firmware, is there is still no Mode switching between FX and STEMs as suggested in the Reloop manual.

By the description in the manual, you should be able to press the Mode button in the FX section to switch between controlling FX with the 4 knobs and buttons and controlling STEMs with them. Similar to how the various Performance Pad Modes work. Sadly, it’s basically one or the other still. Hence why I have mapped this section the way I have.

Having said that, of the list of currently supported hardware, I still think the Mixon 8 Pro is one of the best options for controlling djay Pro AI. You just need to tweak the mapping a bit to suit your workflow.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input, very much appreciated. Is djay pro pretty easy to map?

@Dysfunk_DJ dead easy!

1 Like

Can you use eq to operate stems like Vdj and have pad effects on stems like serato with effects on stems like rekordbox? Hybrid of all 3 :sunglasses: