Songs greyed out / Track not available / The track cannot be played (djay iOS)

I’m running into a serious problem. To avoid duplication, I try to describe as precise as possible.

• djay for iOS Version 3.8.6 on iPhone 13 Pro Max, running iOS 15.3.1
  • I’ve created multiple playlists and added songs from a file share. These songs are not DRMed. These songs are not iTunes or Spotify songs or from any other (commercial) service. They are plain mp3 files, added from a local cloud share I operate myself.

In one of the playlists, all songs are greyed out. When I tap to load, an error prompt pops up stating:

“Track not available. The track cannot be played because it is not available.”

Interestingly enough: When I tap the three dots, the songs do play back in the preview window. Tapping “Load Song” in the preview windows yields the same error message.

• Removing and re-adding individual songs does not help.
  • Removing the entire playlist and re-adding it, does not help.
  • Creating a new playlist with a different name and adding the same songs, does not help.
  • Force quitting djay and restarting does not help.
  • Restarting the iPhone does not help.

I’ve read elsewhere that there might be an issue with corrupted meta data that djay stores for these particular songs in its internal database. As an explanation this does make sense. If stuff got corrupt in djay’s database and the database entries do not get removed when I delete the songs / playlist through the UI, the corrupt data will cause a problem, whenever I add the songs back.

Do you guys have any ideas? Is anybody from djay around to look into this?

2 Likes

hey r2square,
You said “not iTunes” but are you using iTunes to manage your own music?

No. iTunes is not involved at all. I add the music from a NAS device. Plain mp3 files.

Hi @r2square,

Thanks for posting this question/problem in our Community.

Could you please tell us how exactly you’re mounting the NAS on your device? Could you also please make sure that you’ve mounted the NAS share following these steps (in Files) before trying to play the songs in djay? Connect servers or external devices with Files on iPhone – Apple Support (UK)
After that, creating a “My Collection” playlist should work as explained here:
https://help.algoriddim.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009357980-How-do-I-play-or-add-songs-from-external-media-like-USB-sticks-or-hard-drives-iCloud-Drive-or-the-Files-app-

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers, G

1 Like

Sure and thanks for joining the conversation!

I’m using a Synology NAS. Synology offers a feature called Synology Drive. It hooks into iOS as a regular File Provider, exactly as iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox and others do. So in djay on the iPhone I do

Tap to load > Playlists > Pick or create a playlist > Add from Files…

This launches the OS-provides File Picker sheet. Under Locations I find iCloud Drive, Drive, Dropbox, On My iPhone etc. I select Drive and browse to the respective mp3-files.

So in essence, iOS abstracts away the File Provider used under the hood. To djay all of these options are exactly the same.

I do believe, it has to do with a corrupt database entry or a database cleanup task not getting finished correctly.

One more remark: I’ve got hundreds of songs added exactly like this that still work seamlessly.

Hi @r2square,

Thanks for your detailed response.

If I understand correctly the problem is not in your NAS or in Synology Drive because it’s actually working with other songs, right? Does this problem only happen on certain songs? Does it happen with old playlists? Or does this happen with your entire library? Have you recently updated your NAS OS?

You could try to reset your library ["djay Media Library "]. On every launch, djay makes a backup and keeps the last 10 copies. You can access the backups directly in the Files app under On my iPhone/iPad > djay > User Data :

By removing/renaming/moving this file you reset your library. Afterward, simply reimport your library from your NAS.

Let me know how that goes.

I’m having this issue too though I use iTunes.

• some tracks are greyed out in DJ. These tracks are either purchased from iTunes or matched/uploaded
  • The same tracks don’t work across iOS devices (ie iPhone and ipad) but they do work in desktop (osx)
  • I have purchased another version of the same songs in iTunes and the other versions work in djay, tho would prefer not to have to rebuy music as a workaround
    *I have removed the downloads, re-added to playlists multiple times but the same songs don’t work. Wet Leg’s “Wet Dream” is one of the problem tracks. Purchased from iTunes but won’t play and gives the drm error)

Any ideas? It’s just a handful of tracks but seems like a bizarre issue limited to certain songs.

1 Like

Same issue here with Pro AI running on new iPad Pro 256 GB: I try to upload a huge collection of mp3 (3.900+), no iTunes, no DRM - just copied from my PC with Serato.
Some are recognized, others not.
Upload via USB 3 connector with 64 GB USB 3 stick. Even tried to copy all first to internal space, there all files are to be played instantly with no error, just transferring to my collection fails…

Need help - or must return to Serato, unfortunately…

Cheers, Riff

Hi @Riff,

Welcome to the Community, and thanks for reaching out about this issue. That does indeed sound strange, and I’d like to help troubleshoot this with you.

Do you notice any pattern for the files that are not currently recognized by djay? For example, are they all of a certain file type or did they come from a certain source originally?

Could you please confirm if djay gives you a certain error message when you try to play these files? If so, could you please tell me exactly what it says?

You said that you “…tried to copy all first to internal space, there all files are to be played instantly with no error, just transferring to my collection fails…” - could you tell me where exactly you copied your files to (was it a folder using the Files app “On my iPad”? or somewhere else?)? And from there, how exactly did you transfer them to My Collection in djay, leading to the failure in djay?

And just to make sure we have all the information needed to investigate, could you please share what OS version is running on your iPad Pro, as well as what version of djay you’re currently using?

Thanks in advance for the additional details! I look forward to your reply.

Hi @Andrew_Mackie, My sincere apologies that your post here didn’t receive a response until now. I’d like to help if you’re still experiencing this issue. Please let me know if you would still like to troubleshoot at this time, and I’ll be happy to assist. :pray:

In addition, we have another thread similar to the issue you’ve described specifically when using iTunes with some helpful information for this case. You can find that thread here:

Dear @Emily,

thanks for the fast reply! All recent files I do try to bring to djay pro AI come from the hard disc drive I used with Serato for almost a decade, stored under the folder named “Dance Classics”.
For being “classic” they have not been modified for years and worked fine in their Serato crate ever since. Nevertheless I had all 3100 files checked by “MP3Diags” to see if there is any correlation to ID tags - but didn´t have success importing again after.
As it appears, the problem could be time related /progress sensitive: I splitted the folder in 4 parts, so each of them contains “only” app. 800 files. To have an overview I made the interpret/filename order “A to F”, “G to J” etc. pp. to “Z” so I may see when the trouble starts. After each progress I had the analysis running.

All files after “N” are geyed out, any other attempts fail. AI shows the import running of all files, but the “grey” remains.Or is there is a limited number of files per playlist on djay pro AI?
Btw. How do I select multiple files in the palylist/collection? It is pretty hard to select each single on of 700 files by hand to delete and leave the rest of working 1600 present…

Sometimes I get the message “OSStatus - Error -54” and others.

System:
The actual djay pro AI app has just been downloaded (several times in meantime to have clear start), iPad pro 12.9 inch, 6th Gen, iOS 16.2, 256 GB

Edit: The new import of the folder shows over 1.000 tracks greyed out ;-(

Cheers, Riff

Internal error. The communication with the sub - app (?) not possible

No track of Prince available, but all shown as greyed out

All tracks of Prince accessable in the internal data of the iPad - and can be played there!

This is getting more and more ridiculous: Track playing after drag and drop - but greyed out/ not available in djay pro collection after import?

Hi @Riff,

Thanks so much for all of the detailed troubleshooting and for the information/findings you’ve discovered on your device.

I’ve reported all of the information you’ve shared with our Dev Team, and we are actively investigating this issue and why this might be occurring on the iPad. I appreciate your patience while we look into this further and I’ll keep you updated with any news as it comes in!

Hi @Emily,

I assume, it must be a problem with or during the import process. Repeating again and again may lead to doubles/triples, but works in the end - yet there are some tracks still missing. Importing them single by hand solves also this, but is not very comfortable, to be honest.
I was not able to investigate any correlation between size and issue, seems to be some sort of buffer overflow during import or storing.
Another playlist was imported correctly at first glance, then all tracks were greyed out again. After a total restart of the iPad all shown as present. Hope this helps!

Cheers, Riff

Thanks for the additional info, Riff! You’ve really provided some helpful troubleshooting details here.

In addition to this, our Dev Team has asked for the following to assist in their investigation of this issue:

1. Could you please send a screen recording of all the steps you are doing to import the songs onto your iPad and into djay, as it is very important for them to see exactly step-by-step how you are performing that process? Please go ahead and share the video with us by dropping it here.

2. Could you please also share at least one of the audio files that does not work in djay? You can also drop the file(s) here.

Just let me know when you’ve done so, and then we can further troubleshoot this with you. Thanks in advance! :pray:

Thanks @Emily for the kind response!
First I have to mention, that the tracks can be imported - but not “in one go” from a folder with a huge number of files. Repeating the process solves the issue - by adding doubles/triples, which must be deleted by hand - or is there a filter?
Even later, single missing/greyed out ones can be added to the collection by importing them single “by hand / dedicated selection”. Because I have almost everything running now, I would not like to import another big folder just to show a video about. Instead I added a screen recording to the desired target which shows, that a “greyed out” track is present on the internal data base/location of the iPad and can be shown as “active” once it was selected and separately imported from the original source.

Indeed there are no tracks that could not be played directly from/within the data folder - they are all present and have been accessible ever since. They simply do not show the same kind of presence in djay pro AI - at least, until I added them multiple times or separately by hand. As mentioned previously, dragging them from then source and playing them in djay pro AI does not solve the “greyed” issue. I had expected the program to realize the presence at least after having played the song successfully…?

Cheers Riff

Hi @Riff,

Thanks a lot for your patience while our Team has been investigating this issue. In the video you shared of the problem, could you please confirm if you are adding the files directly from an external hard drive or whether you first copied the files onto the internal iOS storage and then imported them into djay?

Thanks in advance!

As to be seen on the video, the files came directly from the internal data storage…?

Ok, it´s been a while since I used the app last time but am now trying to arrange my compilation - and the issue is still present. Any solution in sight?

Still titles are available in internal storage at the iPad, but still not accessable from djay iOS after import…

Thanks!