The djay library list says some songs are DRM protected, but they are not.

When I pull up the library on djay, it says that some of the songs I purchased on another account are still DRM protected even though I have authorized this ipad to use the songs.

These songs play just fine in itunes on this ipad. Why won’t they play in djay???

Hi Shauna,

Are you using iTunes Match? Open the “Music” app on your iPad and check whether there is a cloud button next to one of the affected songs. If yes, please tap and download the song(s) to your iPad. You should then be able to use them with djay.

Hi Everyone,

Please find out if the affected songs are marked as “Album only”. These tracks somehow have a .m4p file ending (same as DRM protected songs).

If you have a Mac/PC:

• open iTunes and find one of the songs
  • ctrl-click on it and select “Get Info…”
  • in the “Summary” tab, look at the entry “Where”

If the songs indeed have a .m4p ending, try renaming the file to .m4a or convert it to .mp3 using iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1550

Hi Angus,

Thanks for the info. OK, so this means that some “album only” songs do have the correct file extension but still behave as though they’re DRM-protected.

Can you please upload some screenshots to verify this? Also, have you tried converting the songs as I suggested above?

Hi Neil,

The solution I proposed was only for “album only” songs with .m4p file extension.
Which songs/album(s) did you purchase? Are you using iTunes Match?

1 Like

same issue but no clouds next to my music that I upgraded and also not using itunes match.

I’m not using iTunes Match. I rencently purchased a new iPod touch 5th gen. I downloaded all of my music but now most of it does not work! (Music I bought from iTunes)

I’m getting the DRM alert. The songs are definitely on my device and not in the cloud. They work fine on all other music apps I have when I’m not connected on wifi.

All of these songs worked completely fine on DJAY on my iPod 4 but they won’t work on this!

This is not the case, I have just 1 iPhone, no computer!!! I download albums from iTunes, 50% of the tracks work, and guess what, the other 50% don’t work. it says DRM protected, or I must download from iCloud, but they’re not on the iCloud, they are actually on my device!!! please help!

I think the problem lies with iTunes and not djay, if you look at the track on iTunes, the ones that end .m4p instead of .m4a are the ones that are greyed out and don’t work, .m4p means they are protected, maybe delete the music and redownload it and see if that fixes it or your only other option it’s to go into iTunes and convert all the .m4p protected tracks into .mp3 format which will work with djay.

Prabhpreet, it happens to both iPad and iPhone app, I’m sure that the problem lies with iTunes, the music your downloading from iTunes shouldn’t end .m4p as this would indicate a protected song, however iTunes state that their songs are no longer protected, they should end .m4a. Warren can you confirm your software is not compatible with music files ending .m4p??? if this is the case, algoriddim is off the hook.

Prabhpreet, it happens to both iPad and iPhone app, I’m sure that the problem lies with iTunes, the music your downloading from iTunes shouldn’t end .m4p as this would indicate a protected song, however iTunes state that their songs are no longer protected, they should end .m4a. Warren can you confirm your software is not compatible with music files ending .m4p??? if this is the case, algoriddim is off the hook.

same for me, albeit a small number. play OK in i-tunes but not in DJAY

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem on my iPad 4 - I’ve bought and downloaded an album all from the store on my iPad so the tunes are not in the cloud and not protected plus I’m not using Match. When I browse them from djay it shows some of them as not accessible and gives the usual “cloud/DRM” error.

Looks like an undocumented feature to me (bug!) - one thing I have noticed which might help the songs that are grayed out tend to be the ones that iTunes only offers as part of the complete album (i.e. they won’t sell them as individual tunes).

Hope that helps!

Hi Warren,

Thanks for responding - I can confirm the affected songs for me are the ones that are listed as “Album only” in the iTunes store but I can confirm they’re definitely not m4p on my laptop (they’re all m4a as they should be).

So this looks like it’s possibly an iPad (4) only issue? Are you suggesting they get downloaded with an .m4p extension on the iPad? Have you tried it yourself, the problem is dead easy to reproduce - just use your iPad to buy an album, download the whole thing and look at it in djay… all the “Album only” songs will be grayed out… !

How can I check the file on my iPad too? And congratulations on Apple for making the latest iTunes absolutely horrible! Easier to use… yeah, right!

Indeed… not a company that cares too much about customer support it seems…

Help !

I have the same issue as angus. I planned to use the app to play music during our Christmas party. But with half of my tracks not being able to be added to the play list it’s a no go. Can e expect a solution from djay

My issue.

Bought brand new albums from iTunes yesterday. Albums are on the cloud and also locally on the iPad. Few tracks are greyed out in day though its not the case in iTunes

Hi warren.

Any statement or roadmap for a bug fix for the iPad app. The iPhone app does not have this issue. The iPad app is pretty expensive and having bought it to only find out that it can’t play almost half of album contents is quite disheartening. I remain positive that we will hear from you in the next hours. I would like to rate the app also but withhold it as right now it might not be very positive rating from my side.

If it works on the iPhone app it should work on iPad too. I don’t use a PC but only iPads and iPhone. I am not sure if tweaking .mpX to .mpY is a real solution for a expensive app like DJaY

It’s possible but looking at the fact that the DJAY iPhone version does not have the issue but the iPad verson does points the finger to the iPad app, paying almost 20 euros for the iPad version only to find that it cannot be used properly is a issue. Maybe the support folks are able to fix the issue before Christmas. This is what Santa@djay I would like to have :slight_smile: