Tidal Hi-Fi - partial track load bug back again?

Hi, I have multiples issues on multiple devices.

Both devices tested are iPhone SE 2nd gen and iPad Air 3rd gen both on iOS 15.3.1running latest Djay update 3.8.6. Plenty of storage space on both

Everything has been previously analyzed but when loading tracks from Tidal, sometimes the waveforms won’t completely load than the song will either, freeze than continue playing with or without sound but still no waveform or just freeze where the waveform stops. It’s pretty random, some tracks are fine and some some load just a few beats or halfway thru. Obviously I’ve not seen it on local tracks.

Also, analyzing new tracks takes forever while some tracks are stuck halfway.

I’m on home wifi and speed is good: 104 Mbps download, 33 Mbps upload.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: kept trying to troubleshoot the problems and it appears to be related to the streaming quality option. Switching from HIFI to High seems to have solved my issues, which sucks, we should be able to use HIFI without problems. Is it a known issue, can you fix it please?

Hi @max_mtl,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the TIDAL HiFi tracks in djay. I’ve moved your bug report to this already existing thread about the same issue. Our team is aware of this, and is currently investigating the problem. We’ll keep this thread updated with any new information.

Thank you for sharing all of the detailed information about your experience along with the screenshots to demonstrate the issue. I’ve passed this additional information to our Dev Team as well. I hope to be in touch again soon!

Hi @paulmack,

Thanks for sharing the additional feedback. I understand how frustrating this problem must be, and please know that I’ve continued to push this internally. Our Dev Team is investigating, and hopefully we’ll have more news soon.

As for trying out a “reset” of the metadata folder to see if this helps (as suggested by @Djdavidjones), it would be interesting to see if this helps other users as well. Please note that by doing this, cue points will not get deleted as these are stored in the djay Media Library file. One way to try this without deleting the already existing metadata folder is by following these steps:

1. Activate the Finder, and select “Go to Folder…” from the “Go To” menu.
  2. Copy and paste the following path: ~/Library/Group Containers/VJXTL73S8G.com.algoriddim.userdata/Library/Application Support/Algoriddim/
  3. Rename the current “Metadata” folder to another name (e.g., “Metadata Original”).
  4. Launch djay and try using TIDAL HiFi again.

Please let us know if this helps or if you still encounter the same problem.

To set your metadata folder back to the original one again, you can go to the same location as above, and now you’ll find a new folder called “Metadata”. This was newly created when you launched djay just now for this troubleshooting test. You can delete this new “Metadata” folder, and then rename the old Metadata folder (now called “Metadata Original”) back to be called “Metadata” again. By doing this, djay will use this folder and continue to write to it in the future.

Thanks in advance for giving that a try. I’ll look forward to hearing from you again.

1 Like

Hi Emily and thanks for pushing this one with the dev team on our behalf.
I tried your tip of renaming the Metadata folder and it DOES seem to work.
Straight away my tracks were playing in full, even before the analysis had completed.
I will continue to test this with the new folder and will let you know how it performs once it has amassed some more data in there.

By the way, the original Metadata folder was over 350mb (in case there is a ceiling whereafter performance is affected).

Thanks!

Kind of what I expected, that clearing out metadata folder would improve the performance.

So how many files you had in “old” metadata folder?

And how many songs you have in song library?

Thanks for trying that out and for sharing the additional information! I’ve passed this to our Development Team as well in case it should help their investigation. I’ll be in touch with more news as soon as any updates are available.

A bit more info.
So with an empty metadata folder the performance was excellent.
I started to analyse some large playlists and regularly checked the application for performance (every 500 tunes or so).
After the metadata folder exceeded around 110mb I started to see the issue appear intermittently.
This was with approximately 2500 tunes analysed in HiFi mode.
*NOTE - it is still analysing so I can attribute some of the performance issue to processing issues. I will continue the test as still have a few large playlists to analyse.

Final Update: By 145mb (approx 3500 tunes) the problem is happening more often than not. Fully analysed tunes (that I only played a few minutes previously) are stopping after a few bars when reloaded into a deck. If I do nothing then the playback starts again anytime between 15 seconds and 1 minute later. There is no ‘batch analysis’ or background processing happening in the application.
No other applications besides Safari are running.

Hi Emily,

How can we do this on iOS? I’m on my iPad and don’t see a metadata folder in userdata folder.

Thanks

Hi @Lucas_Frederic,

Unfortunately, the metadata folder isn’t accessible on iOS like it is on Mac. For this reason, this potential workaround would only be possible on Mac.

I’ll keep this thread updated with any additional news from our team.

1 Like

In my opinion this software is unusable in its current state for Tidal HiFi users that want to have a music pool of over 3000 songs.
Right now it takes me several minutes to even ‘needle drop’ through a tune to see if I like it or not. This clearly doesn’t work.

I have just bought a Denon Prime Go (using Engine DJ software & OS) which is incredible but regardless of that, I was hoping to use Djay to sketch out my sets and then play/record them via the Prime Go.

As it stands I won’t be using Djay Pro again until the Tidal analysis/playback is massively improved (which I am rather sad about, to be honest).

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your additional feedback, @paulmack. My apologies for the current state when using TIDAL HiFi tracks, as I can understand how frustrating this would be when trying to prepare sets and/or mix. I’ve sent your additional feedback to our development team, and rest assured I’ll keep this thread updated.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback here.

1 Like

Same issue for me on my iPad Pro. Problems seems to stick to certain tracks, but the amount of time I need to wait for the track to load seems to worsen over time / number of times I play the track. It’s also affecting more tracks the longer I use the app & add songs. Please help, this makes playing live sets very sketchy!

I’ve been having the same issue on my ipad pro. After having the program work perfect for me for many sets, it started doing this same issue (loading the full waveform but only the first few bars are available to play. It freezes for indeterminate amount of time). The problem seems to be exacerbated the longer I use the app and the more songs I analyze.

Is there any update on this issue Emily?
Update 3.1.12 didn’t improve things.
Thanks in advance for any news…

Hi @paulmack,

Unfortunately I don’t have any new updates yet about this issue. Rest assured I will update this thread as soon as I have any news. :pray:

Good Day Everyone,

This weekend was my first time with this issue. I do know that Tidal recently changed their subscription model and file management behind the scenes. Now they include HiFi Plus which is what I have. Many Hifi users were pushed to hifi plus complimentary. This may be part of the issue.
I think when it was solved before they were shifting things on the back end.

I truly hope this gets solved asap. High quality setting it works but the sound quality is significant.

PLEASE keep us informed.

Its an integral part of our livelihood.

Wanted to add another voice here to say that the hi-fi bug is real. And, for me, the metadata workaround did not help.

Any updates from Algoriddim, or any new ideas on how to fix it manually?

Hi @nealjsb,

Thanks for keeping us updated and adding your voice to this thread. No updates from our side yet, but I’ll keep this thread updated as soon as there’s any news. Thanks again for your patience!

It seems that a new update just came out on June 2. That’s when I started having this issue. I had to change to “normal” but am paying for “hifi” subscription. I’m not as familiar with any of this as I just started DJing. Luckily, I noticed this at my own party rather than at a paying gig. It would have been embarrassing to say the least. I was able to use my cell phone and for some reason it worked, however, I was only able to use one speaker. Please advise what I need to do. Thanks.