Using USB sound with headphones on iOS 8 issue

Late to the party, somehow I missed this thread a couple of months ago and now I have a problem…

Updated iOS to 8.4.1 from 7.xx and everything stopped working.

External sound card is plugged with self-powered USB hub, so this is not a power problem, but iOS problem. If I use the USB card alone, there is output sound. When I try to precue with headphones - USB card is dead.

So, this is a system issue and we have to address Apple for this, right? Where? How?

Anyone tried iOS9?

Anyone tried iOS9.0.2?

I can’t see anything about it in the list of fixes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_ver…

Tried with 9.1 already - not working

Not true.

It was working with a iOS < 8.0, I’ve had it running with USB hub and external sound card: so, one stereo output to usb hub via lightning and one via headphones jack.

I haven’t changed hardware, iPad was with lightning jack before and after iOS update.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled USB soundcard on iOS.

I’ve bought an Asus Xonaru3 USB sound card. It works with my iPad Air and the CCK USB adaptor, using the iPad Music App.
However when I’m using Djay 2 the App correctly detects the USB sound card, but no audio is actually output.
Weirdly, it works if the USB device is the sole output, but not if the USB is selected as the ‘Main’ output, with the iPad headphone socket used as the ‘Monitor’ output.
Any thoughts?

Right, this is worse than I thought. I’ll have to stick with the Griffin audio splitter cable for a while.

IF YOU USE A SELF-POWERED USB SOUNDCARD IT WORKS WITH IOS 8.1
It’s a power supply issue I think.
I tried out a Fiio E7 (original version) which allows you to switch off USB charging. It’s then a self-powered USB sound card. Plugging this in via the CCK adaptor, and headphones into the iPad audio socket worked OK. I got main output from Djay 2 on the Fiio, and monitor channel on the iPad audio socket.
Seems Apple have reduced the power limit in the USB output. This is limited to maintain battery life on the iPad.
If you don’t have a self-powered sound card (or mixer such as Numark M1 USB) then try using a powered USB hub between the CCK adaptor and the sound card.
What a pain!

That’s a good feeling :slight_smile: Thanks!

Different USB sound cards will draw different amounts of power.
All I can definitely say is that:
(1) my XonarU3 sound card works fine as the sole output device, but not if there are headphones connected to the iPad headphone socket.
(2) my Fiio E7 works EVEN WHEN there are headphones connected to the iPad headphone socket, providing it is configured with USB charging OFF.
That’s why I think the critical factor is power.
The iMic draws power from the USB port.
I agree this doesn’t explain why your Audio 2 sound card doesn’t work when it’s used with its own power supply, but maybe it still draws some power from the USB as well. Only Traktor will know unless there’s an electronics whizz out there who’s measured it.
Can Algoriddim or Griffin or anyone else confirm that the DJ Connect works? ‘I’ve heard it does’ isn’t definite enough for me to buy one :wink:

Would be great if they HAVE fixed it … It’s ridiculous that this should happen, the iPad is a great DJ platform but this problem screws it for high quality sound.

No, the E6 is just an amplifier. It doesn’t have its own DAC. So it won’t function as a second audio out, it will just channel the sound from the iPad’s own DAC.

More evidence that it’s a power issue.
Last night I did a gig with a Numark M1USB mixer.
This is self-powered, it draws no power from the iPad.
Worked absolutely perfectly - very good sound, actually, lots of bass :slight_smile:
So for gigs where there isn’t a USB mixer, I’m looking for a self-powered USB DAC which is easily portable, or maybe a powered USB hub to use with my Asus UA3.
I have a Fiio E7 with the additional Fiio Line Out Adapter, and that works fine, but the menu display on the Fiio is very hard to read for me (I’m not as young as I used to be!) so I want something simple, but preferably with a volume control.
Or maybe the Griffin thingy recommended by Algoriddim, but it’s as expensive as a Numark 101USB mixer, and the reviews I’ve read say the sound output isn’t very loud, and it’s really important to have a good sound level from your source.

[Nerd Show]
I should have said that when I use the Fiio E7 I set "USB Charging " to “OFF”, which is an option on the (original) version I have. In this mode the USB power draw is minimal.
Do you get the impression Apple don’t give a sh:t?
Sadly it seems there’s nothing Algoriddim or Native Instruments can do about it. Presumably they have talked to Apple, but if so why hasn’t Apple’s response been passed on to users?
Djay for Android, anyone?

So I tried using my Asus XonarU3 sound card plugged into a powered USB hub. To my surprise, and disappointment, it didn’t work. So a powered usb hub (of the cheapest Chinese variety I could find on eBay) does not seem to work. I also tried an un-powered USB hub (ditto source) as I’d read reports that they sometimes fooled the iPad into thinking the powere draw was less than it actually is. That didn’t work either.
So far, only a self-powered usb sound card (Fiio E7) or dj mixer (Numark M1) have worked for me.

IOS 8.1.3 arrives and now I can’t get USB output to work with headphone cueing even with a powered mixer (Numark M1 USB), which worked with iOS 8.1.2. So the problem has become worse, and the only solution I have is to go back to using a splitter cable and mono output
:frowning:

Algoriddim so short of money that you can’t buy a sound card and try it yourselves?

That’s saved some of us wasting our money! Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes :frowning:

However, I’ve found that using a splitter cable doesn’t seriously degrade the sound. Crank up the input gain on the mixer, it helps.

I still love the Djay2 app, shame Apple messed up the connectivity.