Using USB sound with headphones on iOS 8 issue

I’ve also been using a standard stereo splitter plugged into the headphone output of the Griffin mono splitter cable. Then I can plug my headphones AND my iPhone into the headphone output.
Why? It means I can pre-cue the next track on my iPad, and then listen to some other tracks on my iPhone to see whether I want to add them to the iPad queue. I can also listen (on my phone) to the current track I’m playing on the iPad, to figure out how it breaks, and thus when to loop it or how it ends, to decide when and how to blend into the next track I’ve already queued up. Sounds a bit complicated, but it works for me. Of course it means I have to have a copy of my tracks on both devices, but that’s not a problem.

The Lightning to minijack adapter is surely a dumb adapts? It’s to allow connection of minijack headphones to iPhone 7, which doesn’t have a jack socket. The audio out of the Lightning port is both digital and analogue, depending on which connections are used. This adapt or will use the analogue output. So, effectively, on an iPad or older iPhone, it’s connected to the same DAC as the headphone socket. So it cannot be used as a separate audio channel.

Ah, that’s good. I had assumed it was a dumb adaptor

FYI, this super El-cheapy Zalman ZM-RSSC 5.1 Soundcard works just great with iOS devices :slight_smile:

And at just $8 its even cheaper than those silly split cables !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zalman-ZM-RSS…

Yep works like a champ without a hub with my iPad Mini (Gen 1)

The power requirements should be the same across all iPad models (150mA)

Apple list it as compatible with

iPad with Retina display
iPad mini
iPad mini 2
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 4
iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
iPad Pro (12.9-inch)

So it should work fine, but you will most likely still need a powered USB hub to work with any midi or audio devices drawing more than 150mA

If you have an ipad pro, 100% worth it.

If you are buying a USB adaptor for the first time, its worth the extra $10

If you already have a lightning usb adaptor, its probably not worth buying unless you are you are doing Danny Tenaglia Style 12 hour sets (where it might be the godsend of the Century), seeing as even an ipad mini runs for over 8 hours with a Controller / Soundcard + Wifi streaming and powered hub.

Yep not the quietest s/n the market, but about as good as some of the Soundcards in consumer DJ gear e.g. Hercules / Numark

So You’re gonna move to a buggy OS with a 50ms latency over a solution that involves a sub $10 soundcard ?

Hell even some of the best DJ software on PC’s doesn’t let you work across multiple soundcards (without workarounds)

The one I linked to has shipping to the UK for an additional 5 Pounds.

So around 10 pounds in total. Its is well under the threshold for any customs duty.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-ab…

I doubt it was something that was even considered a “function” before - very few (if any other) apps outside DJ software would use it, and most people who do would have a multichannel soundcard, or controller with a soundcard.

Glad to hear its working for you :slight_smile:

Basically its working as a second sound card, but I believe iOS only allows apps the use of a single soundcard at a time, so its either internal or external.

Did it work ?

Weird, I only show my single USB sound card in any multichannel capable app (DJplayer / Djay).

Maybe theres a default to USB soundcard if there 4+ channels available ?

As a matter of interest, does the new Lightning > 3.5mm work in DJplayer Pro?

But would this not be the very issue that started this thread in the first place, where iOS 7 devices and above would not allow multiple output sources to be used by an App simultaneously ?

A lightning DAC would surely operate identically as a USB DAC I would think.

The Zalman is already a 6 channel Soundcard though (as is my Vestax but requires a powered USB). However it means you do not need to use the in-built headphone jack similtaniously.

The DAC on the lightning adaptor will work on its own I have no doubt, if not now, certainly in the future but still only as a 2channel sound card and not at the same time as the inbuilt headphone jack. thats the current “problem” with iOS 7 and higher. So there’s still no way of cueing.

Please Correct me if I’m wrong, but I cant see anyway of using both the output on a lightning connected device + built in headphone jack simultaneously in any app.

You managed to get the Zalman AND ipad headphone jack working at the same time in Djay? That being the case this thread would not exist.

I just tested mine and only the Zalman shows up as an audio output and there is no option to select a different soundcard when the Zalman is plugged in.

Same with any multichannel soundcard plugged into the CCK

Would be interested to see a vid alright :slight_smile:

I can now see the headphone output (when headphones are plugged in), however its unusable.

Just for kicks I tried both the Zalman and Vestax with a USB Powered hub at the same time.

Only the Vestax shows up as a usable audio device.

Plugging out the Vestax and the Zalman shows up right away.

So for more kicks I tried some different software - Djplayer. And guess what ?

Exactly the same on both iOS 9 on an iPad mini and iOS 10 on iPhone 5s.

My guess is that iOS only allows a single audio device be used at a time seeing as 2 different software companies have written the code that allows the function of selecting a physical output (and not just a sound card select).

As to why yours might work(ed) ? I have no idea assuming its not jailbroken :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh also, I just tried with a single output USB adaptor I had knocking about and had some weird negative results.

On one occasion I “think” both the headphone and USB outputs were being utilized in DJPlayer simultaneously, but neither seemed to do what they were supposed to in terms of cue / master correctly. I believe the USB audio mirrored the master and automatically jumped to split output mode.

I wasn’t able to get both outputs working simultaneously in any form a second time though.

Pretty much every multichannel soundcard or controller works just fine, whether they are being sold or supported by Algoriddim so I seriously doubt this is any kind of “money thing” and more likely a bug with iOS’s handling of simultaneous audio devices.

I dont believe there is any app that allows this function that this function works correctly with - the developers may have decided to leave the function in place on the off chance that it’ll start working again at some point - but due to their silence we may never know.