Is Apple Music streaming really any good for DJs?

Hi all.

I seem to have hit a wall with Apple Music, streaming. And I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. I was on my way. I have all my local music on. And I wanted to make a little playlist with Apple streaming service told me I had to merge my library with the cloud and I understand that this is problematic for us Dj because it means that Apple Music will replace Howard DJ edit with the original radio edit examples So I cannot make a playlist.

The other thing is I wanted to transfer a Spotify playlist to Apple Music streaming however, the only way to do this is again to merge or sync my Apple Music library with the cloud which I’m not prepared to do. Does anyone know of any other ways to transfer playlists without having to sync Apple Music library is with the cloud?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Nubium,

The simplest way might be to create and use a separate Apple ID for the Apple Music subscription. This way your local library remains untouched and will continue to operate as normal, but you can still access Apple Music for your streaming needs. This should also enable you something to transfer your Spotify playlists to your Apple Music streaming account.

Thanks for your reply. Do you see Apple Music is better than title.?

2 Likes

The advantage of Tidal and Apple is that you can play any style using one service. E.g., I recently moved to beatport, that is very good for EDM, but not for anything else. Beatsource is maybe good for anything else, but not for EDM. I hate I had to move away from Tidal. I suppose Tidal and Apple are about the same in this regard as ‘one stop shop’.

1 Like

I can’t really wrap my head around this. I want to DJ with my local music in Apple Music on my iPad as soon as I sync that regardless of what Apple ID I’m using surely the tracks will be replaced. Does that make sense?

I have 4 reasons to continue using TIDAL instead of the Aple Music.
1 - It doesn’t allow you to create a playlist with another service, because as I already have music from Tidal mixed with local music, I’ll have to redo everything to add music from Aple Music.
2 - It does not allow batch analysis of around 200 songs, you have to wait 10 minutes to repeat the action.
3 - I had problems in a live show that I left in automix with songs from Aple Music, suddenly it stopped loading the songs, perhaps because I understood that many songs were red, the sound stopped working, my luck was to have a similar list on TIDAL to save myself and carry on.
4 - On TIDAL I already have a list with videos, the same list does not appear in the music Aple, only the sound comes out.

Note: the only advantage I saw was that the Hot CUEs I made on TIDAL were present in the Aple Music songs with the same name.

And I’m guessing I would have no issues transferring Spotify playlists to tidal and not have the problem where I need to sync my whole library with the cloud.

1 Like

Looks like I will stay away from Apple Music and keep Tidal judging by the above issues…
Luckily for me I rely 98% on my own music.

2 Likes

Yes, when DJing, I mainly use my downloaded music. It would just be helpful for quest that I don’t have.

1 Like

@Nubium, here’s an explanation on how to create a second Apple ID to keep Apple Music Streaming separate from your Local Music:

1. Create a new apple ID - Apple ID
  2. Sign up to Apple Music using that new Apple ID.
  3. Sign into Apple Music in djay using that new Apple ID.
  4. Make sure the Apple ID used for your Mac/iOS device does not have an Apple Music subscription.

The Local Music and the Apple Music sources should then be using separate Apple IDs and the your Local Music source should continue to work as it did previously.

1 Like

Thank You for talking about this subject. Not sure I completely understand. It also seems I can not play a lot of my matched songs.
How would having Apple Music from a different account help?

Thanks,

Rick

1 Like

Also, don’t forget, none of the streaming services allow recording of your mixes - this is my biggest grievance. On the other hand, unlike Traktor for iOS, Algoriddim still does not have “next track recommendations” for local music. Instead, they rely on recommendations by the streaming services and they tend to be horrible and cannot be limited to my own library / playlists.

And I had iTunes Match screw up my carefully tagged tracks more than enough so I tend to stay away from this mess.

1 Like

@koenigflo you might want to cast your vote here for better “next track recommendations”: Full-blown match feature (like Related Tracks in Rekordbox)

1 Like

Done.
There’s also https://community.algoriddim.com/t/match-does-not-work-on-my-iphone-ipad-v3-7-4/ but the promised improvement to match never happened

2 Likes

Hi @Rick_Hutchins, the idea with using Apple Music with a new Apple ID is to keep your Local Music that you purchased from iTunes/Music separate from the streaming Apple Music. There have been situations where the Apple Music Match feature replaces a specific version of a song in the Local Library with one that it thinks is the same in their streaming library. Obviously, this is not a great situation for DJs. So keeping these libraries separate should prevent this scenario.

1 Like

Hi @Slak_Jaw

Just looking at this myself and I just want to check I am understanding your advice here.

So on my iPad I am logged on as me, with my associated Apple ID, so it serves up my Apple Music sub and cloud music library on this device, which I am also able to access in DJP. So this can be just my streaming content if I remove any local files uploaded to the Apple Music service. Fine.

If I create a new Apple ID, and don’t link it to any subscriptions I will be able to have my non-streaming files, and this will be accessible on DJP via the iTunes library option. Okay, so far so good.

But - on my iPad I am signed in with my original Apple ID, which is linked to the subs. If I sign out and essentially reboot my iPad with my 2nd ID, I would access my non-streaming library but I would then not be able to access my DJP subscription or Apple Music.

I am just trying to understand what you mean by ensuring the Apple ID I sign into my iPad with isn’t associated with an Apple Music subscription.

Have I just completely misunderstood your advice when you suggest people use the 2nd Apple ID approach?

Sorry if I am being dense here - I just don’t get this if the solution is to access both streaming and non-streaming Apple Music libraries.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this! :grin:

Hi @groovekitchen, actually this is the procedure recommended to me by the engineering team.

1. Create a new apple ID - Apple ID
  2. Sign up to Apple Music using that new Apple ID.
  3. Sign into Apple Music in djay using that new Apple ID.
  4. Make sure the Apple ID used for your macOS/iOS device does not have an Apple Music subscription.

The Local Music and the Apple Music Streaming sources should then be using separate Apple IDs and the user’s Local Music source should continue to work as it did previously.

EDIT: So, I think in your case you need to cancel the Apple Music subscription for your current Apple ID that you’ve used to log into your iPad and djay App. The new Apple ID will ONLY be used to log into Apple Music Streaming.

It might also be helpful to read this FAQ regarding the differences between iTunes, Music and Apple Music Streaming:

2 Likes

You might also find this article helpful.

Thanks @Slak_Jaw. Makes sense, got it now.

1 Like

You’re welcome @groovekitchen