We hope you’re all well and safe during these days. We want you to know that we’re here to support you as much as ever. And we realize that, maybe especially during the current global situation, DJing and music are more important than ever to escape the news for awhile.
As you know we’ve recently added new streaming services to djay with features that are first of their kind. Today, we’d like to share with you important information about the future of streaming in djay. We’ve received questions from the community recently about this topic, and now that we can officially share a clear picture, we wanted to thank you for your patience and update you on some important changes coming to 3rd party DJ apps, including djay.
As of July 1, 2020, Spotify will no longer be playable through 3rd party DJ apps.
You’ll still be able to use Spotify in djay until the end of June 2020. Going forward, we’ve prepared steps for you to easily transition to another supported streaming service. Most importantly, we understand building a music library takes time and effort, so we’ve set up an easy-to-use process for you to migrate all your songs and playlists to the new service.
Please know that we are here to help every step of the way. Despite the current situation around the world, our Support Team is here for you and remains as committed as ever to helping you in any way we can. If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out to us at any time.
Your Algoriddim Team
Something in my head is thinking, Spotify got a better deal. Maybe Dennon of Pioneer... we will see.
It's strange that other platforms keep on working on streaming platforms. A hell of a loss for Djay.
Please check out our website for a brief comparison of TIDAL and SoundCloud paired with djay along with links for more information. You can find it here: www.algoriddim.com/streaming-migration
In addition, TIDAL is offering a special 3-month free offer for new users with djay. You can find out more about this offer on the TIDAL migration page.
Been a djay Pro user for a long time now, especially when they jumped "in bed" with Spotify. And while they have had their fair share of growing pains, it has gotten better with each incremental update.
I'm not exactly sure why the switch, but back in January, I could see the writing on the wall, for sure. As algoriddim has touted Tidal and Soundcloud, Spotify had become less prominent.
As for the future? My guess would be Apple Music will eventually have full integration with djay Pro. For those that have followed from the get-go, Apple has always had their hand in djay, in one form or another. At one time, the original Vestax djay controller was actually sold in Apple stores, and on their site.
Not too long ago, you guys even posted a news article about Apple CEO Tim Cook, taking a tour of algoriddim's offices in Germany. That alone speaks volumes.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least, if Apple bought outright (or at least part) of djay Pro, and offered it as an upgrade in Apple Music. It makes sense. To much chagrin of most users, algoriddim had been toying with the idea of already charging for a monthly subscription service for their iPad version. I guess most people don't know how R&D works.
To be able to sustain a future, developing and implementing new upgrades and features costs money. And by sending out free updates, algoriddim isn't generating new revenue, aside from new sales of the software. And while DJing has definitely increased in popularity, it is still a relatively niche market they are targeting.
Like most things digital (Netflix, Spotify, HBO, Amazon, and even good ol' magazine subscriptions), the subscription business model has always been the template for growing your brand, retaining existing customers, and future growth.
I would suspect by the end of 2020, we will hear an announcement from Apple. Not unlike the Beats by Dre buyout. Apple didn't want the stupid headphones, or speakers from Beats. They wanted the existing streaming service that Beats had already built, so they wouldn't have to waste R&D revenue to build their own.
Either way, I'll roll with whatever service works with djay Pro. As long as they can offer a streaming service. Spotify and djay Pro? You had a good run. Sadly though, algoriddim... Spotify, well? They're just not that into you.
Digging a bit deeper I found that Spotify's licensing prohibits the streaming or caching of two tracks simultaneously and their ToS states "You may not, and you may not permit any device or system used in connection with the Spotify service to, segue, mix, re-mix, or overlap any Spotify Content with any other audio content (including other Spoftify Content)"
Despite this, they have had their relationship with Algoriddim for around six years, so I wonder what has changed their stance now. Commercial pressures I guess.
Perhaps they could get a new license to cover this scenario and add an extra tier of subscription for DJs to help cover the cost. I would happily pay a reasonable amount to continue with the convenience and library of Spotify.
Feel likes they're missing a commercial trick here and I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a load of Premium subs over this.
I see there was a new update for djay pro 2.1.1 to 2.1.2
But the update was for what I see no changes what so ever. Now when are there going to be a real update about. All streaming service BPM analyzing for djay pro 2 this is a important tool in digital djing when is this getting a fix
Us working DJs need this function
Neither Soundcloud nor Tidal’s library compares to Spotify for underground music and I’m too invested in Spotify for listening to change service. I did try Beatport Link in Rekordbox but the the integration is a joke and I couldn’t find any music I liked. This situation also makes me aware of the risks of relying on streaming - there’s nothing to say Tidal or Soundcloud won’t be forced to change their licence terms or their deal with Algoriddim expire or they go bust, and you’ll be in this position again.
So long Djay, it’s been fun and I’ll miss mixing random tunes from Spotify on my iPad on the sofa or being able to play requests at parties, but hopefully I’ll become a better DJ for it!
Features / fixes I want to see (if any exist already tell me how!):
djay for mac:
- Proper beat skipping with support for 16 and 32 beat skips, accessible in UI as in ios.
djay for mac AND ios:
- Automatically jump to the first detected beat on a new track load if no cue point exists.
- A button to go back to track start or first detected beat (Cue Jump only works if there are no cues).
- A way to nudge the playhead on a paused track to the nearest beat marker.
- Pressing loop ‘OUT’ in the loop panel while playing currently does nothing if you haven’t first pressed ‘IN’ to set a loop start. Instead, if ‘IN’ hasn’t already been set, pressing ‘OUT’ should automatically jump backwards by the number of beats set in the Loop Creator and activate a loop of the specified duration. This functionality could also/alternatively be added as a modifier option when triggering the Loop Creator eg holding shift when triggering sets loop end point and jumps back instead of setting loop start point.
- Proper sync quantisation support with a choice of quantize level eg nearest 4 beats, 1 beat, 1/2 etc.
- Consistent sync behaviour! Triggering a cue while tracks are playing in sync causes the track to sync to the next beat. For example if you trigger a cue very slightly after the first beat in a bar, sync will jump forwards to sync with the second/next beat and your sync will now be offset by 1 beat. However, if you trigger a cue or play while a track is paused in sync, the track will correctly sync with the nearest beat, meaning if you trigger a cue very slightly after the first beat in a bar, sync will nudge backwards to stay in sync. In all circumstances sync should use the nearest beat instead of the next beat!
- Better sync and midi clock support with external hardware sequencers etc.
- General improvements to user interface and more visual/layout customisation options.
I’d switch to Tidal and stick with djay if these features/issues were being dealt with.
On the plus side, I LOVE Djay, so I’m willing to keep going with it if I can figure out what to do about my library...
- 2908 Conversations
- 274 Followers
- 1895 Conversations
- 240 Followers
- 846 Conversations
- 110 Followers
- 280 Conversations
- 21 Followers
- 115 Conversations
- 6 Followers
- 402 Conversations
- 72 Followers
- 742 Conversations
- 125 Followers
- 188 Conversations
- 16 Followers
- 633 Conversations
- 104 Followers