DDJ-FLX4 & Djay Pro AI

I’ve been on this forum for a long time, and never once have I seen Algoriddim provide a timeline for a specific hardware integration. They simply announce it when it’s ready.

2 Likes

I can relate to that as well. Why should you put yourself under pressure as a developer without need? I’ll just let myself be surprised, it will happen at some point. And that’s better for me than if something is released on a certain day because it was on schedule, but is buggy and doesn’t work properly. And this risk exists. I prefer to wait a little longer for it. And on top of that, I don’t know when I’ll actually get the controller, because the delivery date is still unknown.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay!

I can share that our team is still configuring the FLX4 for compatibility with djay Pro AI.

Additionally, our developers are aware of the excitement buzzing around the device and we want to provide you with the best possible experience with djay and the controller.

You all will be the first to know the moment this is complete, and I’m just as excited as you are to receive the news as I am looking forward to sharing it here!

We greatly appreciate your patience in regard to this matter and we thank you for your excitement and continued support!

10 Likes

Got the Flx4 today and use it with Rekordbox and a Mac (until Algoriddim and the IPad work with it automatically, do not want to map it on my own). Looking forward to use it with my favorite software. Anyway, works fine and is a good piece of work by Pioneer. The Smart Shift between songs is easy and excellent, hope Algoriddim also manages this task.

The Flx4 is basically a 400 with a few extra features after all. So I took my personalized configuration of the DDJ-400, renamed it, then opened the configuration file with a text editor and changed the string with the controller name from “DDJ-400” to “DDJ-FLX4” and I was able to use the Flx4 with Djay Pro AI - at least in the basic functions. Much of the mapping seems to be identical to that of the DDJ-400, e.g. the jog wheels and basic settings of the performance pads, loop buttons, faders, etc. Smart Fader and also Smart CFX of course don’t work that easily, effects only work on channel 1, switching pad modes works but is not indicated correctly by the lighting … I will not deal with it further for now and be patient until the controller is officially supported, but if you still have a DDJ-400 and do not want to wait at all, this may be a good basis where you do not have to start the mapping completely from scratch.

Got the FLX4 yesterday and did a very basic mapping (cue, play, that sort of thing), useable but not great. So I opened the XML from my Midi Mappings folder for all custom mappings and I opened the app package content (I’m on Mac) to dig up the DDJ-400 mapping that came delivered with DJAY PRO AI.

Copied and pasted everything between the and to my mapping that was created when I first hooked up the FLX4. There you go: the majority filled in and working.

Only the LEDs on the buttons above the pads didn’t toggle. Fixed that with MIDI Out and mapping the buttons to Controller Shift Key. Pressing these buttons did however change between Hot Cue, Beat Jump, etc…

You can download my mapping here:
FLX4 Midi Mapping

I still have to check how some of the shift functions will react and I’m curious if the FLX4 has multicolour LEDs that I can adapt. I also have not yet checked out the FX section.

Use at your own risk of course. Since the “Hot Cue”, “Pad FX”, “Beat Jump” and “Sampler” buttons do change the behaviour of the pads but I didn’t find a function this as a mappable function switch I’m guessing there is some hardcoded support for that built-in Djay and that I’m piggybacking off with this. Probably because the DDJ-400 and FLX4 are at least in layout practically the same controller.

7 Likes

When changing pad modes, the controller adjusts the MIDI signals that are sent for each pad

1 Like

If you want, you can also upload your mapping via DJ Tech Tools, making it findable even for people who don’t read this forum: https://maps.djtechtools.com/

Edit: and thank you so much, of course, for sharing your mapping :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully we can get some support before the official rekordbox app does otherwise I’d be sad to be leaving this community.

2 Likes

I also hope that Djay Pro AI will get an update as soon as possible. But even if that doesn’t happen and the new version of Rekordbox is released before then, I (and hopefully many others) will still remain loyal to this community - apart from the fact that such a “threat” certainly doesn’t speed things up.
The choice of software is not only about the support of the controller, but also about the features of the software. And there I see at the moment Djay Pro AI especially with Neural Mix still in the advantage, because Rekordbox offers something comparable not yet. And it should be easier with Djay Pro AI to use controllers from other manufacturers. For users who don’t care about all that, Rekordbox may be the better choice, especially because that again directly supports the Pioneer Club standard.
I’ll be looking at both, and perhaps using both. It doesn’t hurt to be at home in more than one world.

1 Like

Djay Pro,

Any updates on when the FLX4 will be supported? I have been sitting on mine for 3 weeks. I really want to get it up and running. I use a ipad to dj.

I am sitting here wondering do I just need to switch to rekordbox and use a laptop because in the last 2 months y’all haven’t given much of update

Rant done

If a big company like Pioneer have FLX4 and they them self has problems to make it work with their own Recordbox, why would you think that 3rd party company would be faster to make integration better?

All I’m saying that Pioneer will prioritize their support
1st their own Recordbox,
2nd all other companies.

When they have fixed that FLX4 works with Recordbox, then they will give support for 3rd party companies with issues how to integrate FLX4.

It’s business and that’s the way world works.

Here in Germany, there is a saying from a discounter’s advertisement, “Then go to netto!” - In other words: If you want to go, you should go. It’s no different here than in other areas of life.
I think many here are waiting for an appropriate update, I too would use the controller sooner rather than later. But I’m also sure that constantly asking won’t speed things up. And the need isn’t that great that I’ll start going to the gig with a laptop again.

1 Like

You’re comparing apples and oranges! Pioneer are building their App, so are building a whole new platform that can be used on IOS, which can then be used on all controllers. Algoriddim already have the App built, it just needs integration with the FLX4. Each company is doing a different task.

What I mean is that why would Pioneer even support Algoriddim, if they are developing their new app for iOS…

I wouldn’t if I were Pioneer stake holder, so 0 support to 3rd party vendors who are trying to develop support for FLX4 :wink:

If 3rd party vendor tries to have support, delay as long as possible:
no technical answers how FLX4 works, no other technical support than “the device is midi compatible” …

Firstly, Pioneer don’t have “problems” getting the controller to work with their app. They are releasing a new version of their app which will have new features. It’s been scheduled for early '23 so it’s not even late at the moment.

Secondly, Pioneer have nearly nothing to do with djay pro support. Its up to Algoriddim to support the controller, not the other way around. Obviously, they want to get it right, the FLX4 only has a certain number of buttons and they need to work out the best way to assign those controls to the app features. This takes time.
I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

If there are issues technically how the integration should work
only way to do is ask how the controller works.
So it’s up to Pioneer to tell Algoriddim how the device works and only then can djpro support the device.

Pioneer obviously want as many soft ware Apps to be compatible with their new range of controllers, hence why Serato is compatible from the get go on the FLX4. Pioneers Rekordbox IOS App will be released in March. DJ Pro, need to get their arse in gear and gets there’s fully compatible by then if they want to hang onto their current users

2 Likes

I wonder if any updates are coming ?

VDJ finally have a temporary mapping that still doesnt support smart fader, which i could care less about , but hopefully them and DJAY will be able to smart CFX worked out, as it is wonky in VDJ at the moment, everything else works fine, i guess if VDJ is having a “delay” on a final, so will DJAY. also, I am starting to see these controllers pop up in stores everywhere now, however i am in US