Djay Pro/ipad couldn’t handle syncing beat grids

NOTE: Please use the search function above before posting to avoid creating duplicate topics.

• Device model: iPad 2022 (10th generation)
  • Version of operating system: iPadOS 17.3.1
  • Version of djay: 5.1.3
  • Hardware/controllers used: Numark NS6ii

Your question:
Hi there, yesterday I had to play for an older generation crowd. I wanted to use Djay Pro for the really good sync on flexible beatgrids and the stems. So I bought an iPad 10th generation and practiced a bit and all seemed fine.

Unfortunately during my gig, most of the time the software and music stuttered when using sync on music with fluctuating bpm’s, as if the iPad couldn’t handle it. Especially when I used stems at the same time. The stutters where around half a second every time, so it was really bothering for the music.

The requirements of the app state starting from iPad 9th generation I should be able to use 100% quality stems, so to me it seems my iPad should be good enough. Does anyone what’s wrong with my set up? At this moment I’m not feeling comfortable using the app for a gig again :confused:

Bluetooth was off, WiFi was on and no other apps were running.

Hi Len91

When you say it was fine when you practiced, were you doing this under the same conditions i.e. with the NS6 II connected, syncing fluid tracks, and using stems?

1 Like

Hi @Len91, as @PKtheDJ has suggested, I suspect your practice and performance conditions were not equal. I recommend you refer to my personal tips for DJing on iOS. I’m guessing some background application was hindering your iPad performance. In addition to these, make sure your iPad is connected to power using the original Apple charger and cable when DJing.

Thanks for the replies. I did have the original Apple adapter in the whole evening and no other apps were running. I’ve tried it half an hour at home again yesterday and it seemed to work better, only 2 stutters. Still don’t know why it’s happening and I don’t feel comfortable using this setup again any time soon for a gig, so I’ll keep trying things to see what was wrong. Hopefully I can find it.

You’re welcome @Len91. If you’re able to reproduce the issue, please try to capture a video of it, upload it to your Dropbox/Google Drive, enable sharing permissions, and share a link to the video here. Thanks!

What is the source of your music, locally stored or from a streaming service? If streaming, the WiFi could definitely be one of the variables.

The files are all stored locally on the iPad. One of the things I’ve learned from experience in the past yes haha

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.