DVS djm900nxs2 set up query

DVS djm900nxs2 Set up.

Hi guys,

I currently use a Vinyl DVS set-up with a djm900nxs2 and a windows laptop.
I am planning on changing to a MacBook Pro.
My question is can the neural mix eqs be controlled with the mixer when pair with the Macbook? And if not with the djm900nxs2 does any have suggestions to which mixers will be able to control the EQs?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Iamcubist,

1. Most mixers do send MIDI commands for all knobs, even if they are being used in External Mixer Mode and the actual EQ processing is being done in the hardware.
    a. Unfortunately, in most cases it’s not possible to disable the EQ processing on the hardware so the knobs only control Neural Mix and don’t also adjust the hardware EQs.
    b. So, as long as you’re okay with controlling Neural Mix EQs in the software AND regular EQs on the hardware mixer at the same time, you should be able to this. Assuming the mixer sends MIDI messages for the EQ controls in the first place.
  2. We were able to work this out with Reloop on the RMX95. So, with this mixer we have the ability to disable the hardware EQs and only control the Neural Mix EQs.
  3. Another option is the Numark Scratch , which is an Internal Mixer Mode device, so Neural Mix EQs and CFX work just like they do on a regular MIDI controller.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi @Slak_Jaw

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was struggling to find information on this.

I am trying to avoid having to use any of the controls using the laptop. I am hoping for setup newest up that will enable me to use hardware to control everything.

You’re welcome @Iamcubist. If you want maximum control over the djay software, a MIDI controller is probably a better option IMO. Perhaps something like the RANE One would be a great option for you. Coming from a DVS setup, this might be the best of both worlds for you…

1 Like

@Slak_Jaw

I thought that may be the answer. I am reluctant to go down that route because i play a lot of vinyl. There always has to be a trade-off!

Is there any small additional midi options that i can use to map the stems controls to?

Again, thanks for your help!

The ideal solution is an i pad… it’s just a pity about the restrictions caused by the operating system. A touch screen mac…thats what we all need!

Understood @Iamcubist. In that case, I would consider a small companion MIDI controller that you can dedicate to Neural Mix controls. I personally use the Midi Fighter Spectra and Midi Fighter Twister for Neural Mix, but there are other options out there. If you search this forum you’ll also find my personal MIDI mappings for these.

Oh and you can use an iPhone or iPad with TouchOSC to control djay on your Mac. I also have some topics on that in this forum that you can search for if interested in that approach.

These options are perfect! I wasn’t not wanting to have to change out the DJM-900NXS2.

I’ll search for your post for using iPhone/ i pad.

Excellent! Here you go:

1. DJ TechTools Midi Fighter Twister - Mixer / Looper Mapping
  2. DJ TechTools Midi Fighter Spectra - Neural Mix / Serato STEMs Mapping
  3. iPad Remote for djay on Mac
1 Like

Legend! Thanks for your help.
I can’t wait to get this all setup and start playing around with the neural mixer…the possibilities it bring are endless!

You’re welcome @Iamcubist. Happy to help.