DVS on iOS - is not good enough yet. FEB 2024 EDIT: Is Flawless

I’ve been really impressed with the iOS app and have been experimenting with moving from a MacBook to an iPad Pro. I play open format on a mix of vinyl & digital, so being able to turn up with a DVS box, iPad and a small bag of records really appeals to me. I can focus on the tunes, rather than jabbing at a keyboard like I’m checking my emails.t Here’s my setup:

iPad Pro 11"
Reloop Flux (The pass thru button on this is great for flipping from digital to vinyl)
Serato Timecode
1210’s, Ortofon needles

I’ve been using DVS since the Final Scratch days, so know how to calibrate etc. Here’s the thing though, after a couple of attempts, this is proving way too unstable to be usable.

• Reactivity in the app is really laggy, I’m no scratch pro, but even cueing accurately can be a pain at times. Small pitch changes don’t even register.
  • Hyper sensitive to dust etc on timecode, with that weird ‘underwater’ sound coming through. I keep these clean, but Serato has no issues on the exact same setup (I’ve even swapped to my MacBook mid mix, played the same slightly dusty parts of the vinyl and Serato handles it fine).
  • When I push the pass thru button on the Flux, the relevant deck in the app jumps about like its trying to read the signal. No audio comes out, but it’s really distracting. We need a ‘Thru’ blanked out deck mode like Serato, or a way to empty the deck in the app.
  • Weird channel passthrough, for some reason last night, I got both channels randomly coming through one side mid mix. Really odd. Not sure I have the energy to troubleshoot at this stage (physical setup is correct, per Serato test above), given the other issues.

TLDR: I want this to work, but it’s simply not fit for purpose for playing out. I’ll probably keep the app for fun, but, for me at least, it’s not stable enough to flip me from Serato yet.

2 Likes

What does your scope look like with motor on and motor off? I don’t have these issues with the below setup.

iPad 9th gen
Apple camera kit adapter
Anker powered usb hub
Native Instruments Audio 10
4 X Reloop RP8000 MK2’s
Ortofon VNL w/ stylus II mounted on technics Headshells.

2 Likes

Dvs works good for me. Just as good as Traktor on a laptop. I also find it’s sensitive to dust though.

Using akai amx with my iPhone se 2022.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I just assumed it was the app being shite, given it all works with Serato & Mac. Mind me asking what decks / carts your using? I assume the AMX acts as the DVS box?

2 Likes

That’s the thing, the scope looked pretty good to me, and Serato handles the same setup fine. Maybe I do need to tweak it.

2 Likes

Stanton str8 150 with audio technica carts and needles. The amx is a dvs enabled controller.

I have a couple of pics with different setups in this thread. Akai AMX sound through mixer on iOS Djay Pro AI 4 -- how?

There is an order to follow when connecting to iOS which I also described in there also. I find if you don’t connect properly you get really bad latency.

2 Likes

Which Serato timecode recordss are you using?

1 Like

Also double check your tonearm setup. Xwax and Djay are super sensitive, so running the carts too heavy can also cause issues.

3 Likes

Strange, I use iPad Pro 11 for, and every thing works as charm.

iPad Pro 11
Xone 96
MK7
Ortofon Club
Djay Control vinyl

1 Like

Cheers for this, good advice. I’m a hifi nerd so calibrated using stylus force scales, but you did prompt me to double check! My time code is a few years old (came with a denon ds1 box) so that might be it. I did MIX 7+ hours with the same ones on serato in the boiling heat last weekend, so assuming it is Djays sensitivity as others have suggested.

1 Like

Interesting, maybe I’ll upgrade my time code, I think that might help.

DVS works perfectly fine for me. When I used it with my Reloop Flux, I had to plug the Flux into a power outlet via the USB-C port meant for that, and when I switched from using it with Serato, I had to remove both USB-C cables, then plug in the power first, then the one going to the iPad, and it would be fine. It’s just a matter of the device “resetting” itself it seemed. I had none of the issues you mention though with the Flux. Just FYI

1 Like

I’ve noticed sticker drift when trying to beat juggle with DVS and djay Pro using Phase as my timecode. It’s pretty significant. This is when using it on my Macbook Pro.

Noticed that too.

Last week Phase released new firmware opening up their HID integration. This would allow Djay to connect to that. If this is released, this would hopefully reduce drift using phase with Djay.

2 Likes

Can you use the Reloop RP8000 mk2 controls on ios to search and load tracks?

2 Likes

Yes you can. It works as intended

Hi wen using djay times code vinyl with iPad , wats mixing like , because in rekordbox , it was awful to mix on , I use djay pro now because of the excellent beat grids

Thinkin of buying Djm s5 to use with my mk7s to use with djay pro and time code vinyl
I don’t scratch , I’m more interested how the beat grids lock wen mixin ,is there a drift out of beat a lot like other dj programs , wen using needles not phase

Or should I need to buy phase as well

TLDR: DVS on iPad is flawless, I take it back!

Since I created this post, I have got it working on iPad with a reloop flux interface and Serato timecode. It’s flawless to be fair, with minimal, if any, drift. The forum won’t let me edit the post, but I’m leaving it up as there have been some really great responses.

Yet to try with Dejay’s own timecode, but can only imagine that will be as good if not better. I’d be interested to try the stems on that too.

6 Likes

Nice, I bought a Reloop Flux and also a Phase. They work with iPhone, but is kinda tricky to make it work. Sometimes it reads right, sometimes not on iOS.

The main issue that I see is latency. I read that Reloop Flux is not full supported (yet, they are working on it, but with no release date). One user said that he have this same issue, but some times works without latency, sometimes not.

I think now we have to wait.

Using on my MacBook, I have no issues at all, the problem is only on iOS.

Gear:

• Mixer Ecler Warm 2
  • Reloop RP8000mk2
  • MacBook Pro 14" (M1)
  • iPhone 11
  • Reloop Flux
  • Traktor X1 mk3

The key for me seemed to be the order in which I connected everything. Is it seeing both the Flux & Phase as Midi Controllers? I tried a mix of using the Flux to connect other controllers and a separate usb hub.

1 Like